MiLB and Indy Regular Season Thread

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Tampa's attendance probably drops from 1,500 to 1,000.

As garnet pointed out, FSL attendance is typically atrocious. Teams put affiliates there because of the quality of the venues (Spring Training venues), not because they're profitable in the least. Lakeland is averaging <500 a game right now.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Tampa's attendance probably drops from 1,500 to 1,000.

As garnet pointed out, FSL attendance is typically atrocious. Teams put affiliates there because of the quality of the venues (Spring Training venues), not because they're profitable in the least. Lakeland is averaging <500 a game right now.

Exactly - it doesn't hurt that many of the teams in the FSL are owned by their MLB affiliate (offhand, I think only Brevard County, Daytona, Charlotte, and Fort Myers are independently owned, so that's two-thirds of the league that's owned by an MLB affiliate who really doesn't care about the bottom line of the team).

Put this way - of the three High-A Leagues (Carolina, California, and FSL), the FSL is in last place in the attendance race by a lot. Last season's league attendances were 3,701 in the Carolina League, 2,268 in the California League, and a meager 1,513 in the Florida State League. Put this way - the Pioneer League, both Short Season-A leagues, and both Low-A leagues draw more in than the FSL. The only affiliated league with poorer attendance than the FSL (that actually records attendance) is the Appy League:

1. International - 7,199
  2. Pacific Coast - 6,508
  3. Texas - 5,181
  4. Eastern - 4,580
  5. Midwest - 3,924
  6. Carolina - 3,701
  7. Southern - 3,605
  8. Northwest - 3,481
  9. South Atlantic - 3,297
  10. New York-Penn - 3,116
  11. California - 2,268
  12. Pioneer - 2,192
  13. Florida State - 1,513
  14. Appalachian - 1,089

StatesideSensFan

Jun 29, 2003
Atlanta
yea, that game was probably 95% school kids, 4% workers, and 1% retiree STH's watching the game.

i've been hard done by with that before. i'll be in town and the team will be too, but noooooo, it's a school kids special.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
TBH, I wouldn't really want to watch a game, outside, during the summer in Florida.

Even when I lived in Clovis, going to a Fresno Grizzlies game, when the temps were around 100 (and it's a dry heat) wasn't all that fun.

BigMac1212

I feel...alone.
Jun 12, 2003
Sun Devil Country
I went to a Memphis Redbirds game in 2010, back when AutoZone Park had a Camden Yard-style scoreboard, and the humidity was killer. The worst part; the game was at night. :( The Redbirds beat the Zephyrs, if I remember correctly.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Looks like a potential big change in the New York-Penn league next season. The Batavia Muckdogs have been sold to an investment group that will make the Muckdogs the first African-American owned team in MiLB. The investment group intends to relocate the Muckdogs to Waldorf, MD for next season where they'd take the place of the Atlantic League's Southern Maryland Blue Crabs in Regency Furniture Stadium.

BigMac1212

I feel...alone.
Jun 12, 2003
Sun Devil Country
Looks like a potential big change in the New York-Penn league next season. The Batavia Muckdogs have been sold to an investment group that will make the Muckdogs the first African-American owned team in MiLB. The investment group intends to relocate the Muckdogs to Waldorf, MD for next season where they'd take the place of the Atlantic League's Southern Maryland Blue Crabs in Regency Furniture Stadium.

There goes my expansion ideas. :sarcasm:

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
Tomorrow's Florida State League's Clearwater-Tampa game starts at 10:30 AM EST! I am not joking. I wonder how many fans show up that early, let alone the players.

School day game. At many parks, they are sold out to school groups, not even sure if season ticket holders get the game.

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
Does the 140-game limit also come with a mandate to switch to split seasons for the AAA circuits and the EL?

Re: the FSL, business-wise, it's a glorified Gulf Coast League.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I can't imagine any league that doesn't have a split-season schedule would change. Those leagues do so because of the massive mid-season roster turnover...the higher minors aren't as affected by that.

BigMac1212

I feel...alone.
Jun 12, 2003
Sun Devil Country

Here's an article on Ballpark Digest.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I grew up with it and I'm pushing 30...

88 of the 100 aired episodes were aired by the end of January 2001, most of these guys would have been about 6. The final 12 inexplicably aired over the course of about 3 1/2 years, but still.

What an odd crossover.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Looking at Frederick's roster, the average player was born in 1991. "Hey Arnold"'s original run was from 1996 until 2004, so I'd venture the players would know considering they were likely between the ages of 5 and 13 during the run.

BigMac1212

I feel...alone.
Jun 12, 2003
Sun Devil Country
Let's Go Erie Seawolves (Double-A Detroit Tigers), or at least on dollar beer night. Jerry Uht Park is nifty because it is literally squeezed into a city block.

1gY3SDQ.jpg

also in this image the House that Connor remodeled, Erie Insurance Arena

I wonder how many moonshots hit the arena...

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: