Milan Lucic's Decline

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
You don't pile on that kind of rough mileage, get a monster payday, and then show up to work every day like you're still 23 as your body ages quickly.

Lucic may only be 30, but he racked up a career's worth of mileage by the time he signed in Edmonton. He's a running back in his 30s, no matter how willing he may be, he's never getting that step back.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
This is what Chiarelli said at Oilers training camp:

"Physically six pounds lighter… The speed and agility testing we have four tests – I would probably say from last year to this year between 45 and 60 percent improvement. Significant improvement. You know those pro agility tests, those shuttle runs – significant improvement. You can see it on the ice.

Mentally, he’s told me he’s in a good spot. All his practices have been good. He’s on the power play, he’s making plays with the high-end guys, so I’m happy where he is. So that’s all I can say on him.

ForthrightGentleFruitbat-size_restricted.gif

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

dkhockey

May 27, 2007
Europe
But Cassie Campbell said last year that he's too good a player not to bounce back and be a top 6 producer.
Seriously, he's done and the Oilers have do deal with that boat anchor of a contract.
but what did jessica mendoza have to say about him? that is equally as important

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Here is what I dont understand.

He had 50 points in his first year with the Oilers. Then last season wasnt he on pace for about 50 through 40 games? But the last 60 - 70 games he has just completely fallen off a cliff.

Has there ever been a case like this, where a previously productive player just declined immedietely and injuries werent involved?

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011

He had 50 points in his first year with the Oilers. Then last season wasnt he on pace for about 50 through 40 games? But the last 60 - 70 games he has just completely fallen off a cliff.

Has there ever been a case like this, where a previously productive player just declined immedietely and injuries werent involved?
Yeah he had 27 points in the first 37 games of the year last year so he was actually on pace for a better year than his 23 goal 50 point debut in Edmonton. For some reason after Christmas he fell into a funk and never got out of it.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015

TJ Brodie was being talked about as an outside candidate for Team Canada, then Hartley got fired and he had two terrible seasons in a row. He's almost back to his pre-Gulutzan form now but that could fit the bill.

Just like Brodie, I think Lucic just doesn't fit with whatever is going on in Edmonton. Good players don't just fall off a cliff when they're 30 or younger. I don't think the Oilers use him to his strengths at all, just like Gulutzan didn't use Brodie.

The same thing is going on right now with Neal in Calgary. He's way too young to have forgotten what made him worth $25 million dollars.

Either that, or guys just check out once they sign their retirement contracts.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
Are people still talking about this guy?
I don't see any Corey Perry or Louie Eriksson threads.
Boring.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Pretty soon the next time he pulls his "Don't you know who I am" crap off ice, the other person will say "No, sorry I don't."

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009

Its very weird. Like you say he was in a good spot, team goes for Christmas break and he has 2 goals since then.

What happened at Christmas dinner lol

Babooch

Jan 7, 2014
He's a 10-15 goal scorer at this time and in a slump not uncommon to that level of ability.

He should get 5 mins TOI each game to throw some hits and keep teams honest. Good work at 6M if you can get it.

WestCoast CyberG

Nov 5, 2018
Couldn’t happen to a nicer player...lol...he can rot in purgatory with his fat contract, Vancouver sighs a huge relief and says thanks for passing on us.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Hoping Tom Wilson ages better
Wilson is a better, faster skater than Lucic ever was, and pretty much faster than the vast majority of large physical players as well. I haven’t seen many players hop on the ice, cross the length of the rink with a couple strides and get a charging call. (His problem is more ‘is his play since last postseason the real Wilson, or the play prior?’)

He’ll slow down for sure, but if speed is the main thing Lucic has lost and he’s still here, then Wilson should be fine too. ***(Can someone clarify that? Is Lucic’s shot/passing the same if he can get into position?)

I loved watching the Bruins of old, around 2011 and the few years around it as I loved their brand of hockey when they were a top team. But I never thought Lucic looked like a particularly good skater; closer to a mean slug.
I do think he was never going to perform well with McDavid... I also agree with those saying Lucic could perform well on a line with a single identity that suits him. I doubt he’d still be top-6, but he could very much be a valuable bottom-6 forward used right.
_______———-______

**How is the oilers power play set up? And his shot? I haven’t seen much of Lucic since he left Boston, but I imagine he would benefit on a Caps-like powerplay in the Oshie spot, *that made Brouwer a 30 goal scorer.

I remember I’d notice those sort of triangle passing plays with Lucic’s Boston line where he’d end up taking a powerful one-timer in the slot.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Its very weird. Like you say he was in a good spot, team goes for Christmas break and he has 2 goals since then.

What happened at Christmas dinner lol
It is really weird. He had 23 points in 28 games heading into Christmas 2017 and then the wheels fell off.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
He's a 10-15 goal scorer at this time and in a slump not uncommon to that level of ability.

He should get 5 mins TOI each game to throw some hits and keep teams honest. Good work at 6M if you can get it.

Odds are he never hits 15 goals again, 10 is looking like a stretch at this point

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
[QUOTE="Chips, post: 152648589, member:
_______———-______

**How is the oilers power play set up? And his shot? I haven’t seen much of Lucic since he left Boston, but I imagine he would benefit on a Caps-like powerplay in the Oshie spot, *that made Brouwer a 30 goal scorer.

I remember I’d notice those sort of triangle passing plays with this line where he’d end up taking a powerful one-timer in the slot.[/QUOTE]

Wilson has been filling in the Oshie spot of the power play with TJ out hurt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad