Milan Lucic's Decline

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
He never really had good hands to begin with. Even with the Bruins he was playing hot potato with the puck every time he received a pass. He was tenacious at driving the net but something was lost after his dad died. Players of his ilk usually have sharp declines around their late 20s, early 30s. Wilson will be the same way towards the end of his contract if he doesnt get a life time ban before then lmao.

pabst blue ribbon

🇺🇦🤝🇵🇱
Oct 26, 2015
PG
He was given every opportunity in Edmonton to produce playing alongside McDavid on ES and PP, most of this is on him

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
He lost his confidence and then became so focused on trying to score enough to justify his contract he just made things worse. Hitchcock came in and immediately saw the problem and the only possible solution. Stop worrying about trying to be a dynamic scorer, go out there and play the big body game and worry about that first.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
He never really had good hands to begin with. Even with the Bruins he was playing hot potato with the puck every time he received a pass. He was tenacious at driving the net but something was lost after his dad died. Players of his ilk usually have sharp declines around their late 20s, early 30s. Wilson will be the same way towards the end of his contract if he doesnt get a life time ban before then lmao.

Lucic was never a great skater, and the game has gotten even faster since he came in. That doesn't help.

I actually think lucic had a decent shot even if it took him a bit longer to get it off. These days, you gotta have a quick release or someone is on you.

I think he's just a victim of the evolving game. I still think he would be having an okay season if the game was more like when he came into the league.

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017
He had been playing better this year just not getting points. Hitting a ton ect.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I remember reading an article recently (may have been from the Athletic) that went through Lucics most common linemates over the years, and he was always stapled to highly skilled guys. A reasonable argument could be made he’s just been the byproduct of others. I mean, didn’t he have a disproportionately high number of empty net goals during his 30 goal year?

Folks always overrate powerforwards to begin with too.

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
He won a Cup early in his carrer, got paid, and seemed to mail it in ever since...
Nah, he’s a proud guy and you can tell he is very embarrassed by his production. It’s actually tough to watch him in interviews to be honest. This is nothing to do with effort, it’s to do with the fact the game has changed in the past 5 years in every area he was good at.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
He’s definitely not the worst player in the NHL

Since last Christmas Lucic has 2 goals, 13 points and is -27 in 68 games. That is while spending a significant amount of time on the wing of either Connor McDavid or Leon Draisaitl. Those two players have 98 and 67 points over that same stretch respectively. He additionally has spent the majority of that time on the top PP unit.

Here is the list of forwards in the NHL with 2 or fewer goals who have played at least 60 games since last Christmas:

Milan Lucic

Considering the amount of time he's played with those two players both at 5v5 and on the PP it's genuinely unfathomable that he only has 2 goals.

Perhaps I should have said he might be the worst regular player in the NHL. You might find the odd guy who is up for a cup of coffee who is worse. But in terms of everyday player.... I think there is a very strong case to be made that Lucic is the worst player in the NHL.

The only people who think there's anything still there with this player probably haven't seen him play much over the past couple of seasons.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Lucic is a pissy baby when he's angry.

There is no "good" Lucic anymore. Legitimately might be the worst player in the NHL.
This. The idea that a mad Lucic is good is a myth. I'll never forget one particular game against the Canes when they just constantly trolled him and got him to take stupid penalty after stupid penalty.

Sure, when he was young and aggressive he was very good, but when he got mad his decision making skills went out the window.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Lucic's speed should be judged against other big men. He's not super slow for a big guy. Lighter guys can skate faster, no doubt, but they don't create as much havoc in front of the net. They don't add intimidation. This guy would be a dream add to some lines in this league.

He would be a dream add for a line made up exclusively of elite playmakers and snipers in 1981.

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
The game has softened up a lot since Lucic was effective. The game seems faster, he's older with lots of mileage on the carcass.

I felt that the turning point in his game was when the sharks players thumbed their noses at him when he was in LA. They were protected by the refs / banded together so he lost his intimidation factor. I enjoyed watching him in LA, but he's probably even lost a step since then.

Goldmember

Feb 3, 2013
Fin
For me it is clear that this will be his final season in NHL. He is just too slow to play in the NHL anymore.

mouz135

Apr 27, 2013
Erickson is just as bad if not worse.
Eriksson's contract aside, he is definitely not worse than Lucic. What does cement head even do? He can't skate, can't handle a pass or make one to save his life, doesn't score goals. I'm having a hard time trying to figure out what he is good at. Eriksson most definitely isn't worth his 6m$, but at least he can skate, forecheck well, and scores the odd goal here and there. I'll take his 4-8-12 over Lucic's abysmal game any day

Rogue Winger

Mar 10, 2018
Aside from the game evolving faster there could be some mental issues or pressure involved. Lucic was/is a 20+ goal power forward to begin with who is just overpaid and probably cannot take the pressure of paid like a star.

You don't need that much speed on PP and his hands are not THAT bad. Lucic definitely has talent to hit 20+ again, but so has a couple hundred of other players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad