Milan Lucic Debuts New Look At Bruins Informal Practice

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
There is something very funny to me about the detachable visor idea....

"Hold on, let me take off the thing that protects half my face from a puck or a stick so you can punch my eyes and nose as hard as you can with your fist" :laugh:

Hold on, let me wing punches at a visor with the possibility of destroying my hand on shots that would connect if it wasn't there.

It's a two-way street.

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
Yep. The thing I miss most about the old days, sans helmets, is that the individuality/ personality of the players has been diminished. Remember LaFleur & his flowing locks, et. al.

But it's a new era and visors make eminent sense relative to safety.

Wish, like Derek, we could go back to no helmets in terms of respect (yes, I know, there was mayhem aplenty back then), but it is what it is. :(

I don't agree all this equipment is safer. Players skating around like they are indestructible and using the said equipment like a weapon. Today's league is less talented than it has ever been. It relies on two things, speed and strength and little of everything else. It's what new fans want though, so this is what we are getting. Players that lack hockey skills but can skate like the breeze and ram other players with tank armor on.

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
I don't agree all this equipment is safer. Players skating around like they are indestructible and using the said equipment like a weapon. Today's league is less talented than it has ever been. It relies on two things, speed and strength and little of everything else. It's what new fans want though, so this is what we are getting. Players that lack hockey skills but can skate like the breeze and ram other players with tank armor on.

I thought it is as talented as it has ever been.

Defenseman of the 80s could hardly skate, now with strength and conditioning coaches, nutritionists, etc, most players are very good skaters.

Players shooting abilities are much greater than then were, I can't remember who said it but back 20-30 years ago there were a few guys that could really shoot the puck, but now everyone has a decent shot, sure the sticks have something to do with it.

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
I thought it is as talented as it has ever been.

Defenseman of the 80s could hardly skate, now with strength and conditioning coaches, nutritionists, etc, most players are very good skaters.

Players shooting abilities are much greater than then were, I can't remember who said it but back 20-30 years ago there were a few guys that could really shoot the puck, but now everyone has a decent shot, sure the sticks have something to do with it.

Most teams the bottom two lines are hockey talentless but can skate fast, with some teams it's the bottom 3 lines.

Let's take the Bruins - Daniel Paile has two skills, fast and strong. Those two traits overshadow his shot, his turning, and his stick are lacking.

Not sure what you watched in the 1980s but it wasn't what I watched. Players were well rounded back then, it wasn't about speed and benching 300 LBS like it is now. Look at the creativity prior to 1990, it was everywhere. Now guys skate fast for 45 seconds play the coaches system and if you are not on the first line, your job is to skate fast, chip the puck up and not make a mistake until the first line gets back out there.

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
Most teams the bottom two lines are hockey talentless but can skate fast, with some teams it's the bottom 3 lines.

Let's take the Bruins - Daniel Paile has two skills, fast and strong. Those two traits overshadow his shot, his turning, and his stick are lacking.

Not sure what you watched in the 1980s but it wasn't what I watched. Players were well rounded back then, it wasn't about speed and benching 300 LBS like it is now. Look at the creativity prior to 1990, it was everywhere. Now guys skate fast for 45 seconds play the coaches system and if you are not on the first line, your job is to skate fast, chip the puck up and not make a mistake until the first line gets back out there.

Yes talent and players will always change over time, I watched a lot of hockey back in the 80s and 90s and guys were slow by today's standard.

Was the talent back then not as watered down as it is nowadays because of 10 more teams, or is it because of structured defense and larger goalies and positioning?

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
This is what is going to force evolution............ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
This is the most recent suit. I have lost count now of how many are currently in litigation. The one constant is the basic allegation.

NHL FACES POSSIBLY 10,000 LITIGANTS IN CONCUSSIONS LAWSUITS

As many as 10,000 former NHL players and their family members may pursue court cases against the league, court documents say, alleging it has promoted a culture of violence over the past decades but has failed to established proper rules and protocols for preventing head injuries.The suggestion that so many former players may sue the league comes in a statement of claim filed this week in Minnesota by Cory Larose, a New Brunswick-born forward who signed as an undrafted free agent with the Minnesota Wild in 2000 but only played seven games in the NHL with the New York Rangers in 2003.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=461397

member 96824

This is what is going to force evolution............ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
This is the most recent suit. I have lost count now of how many are currently in litigation. The one constant is the basic allegation.

NHL FACES POSSIBLY 10,000 LITIGANTS IN CONCUSSIONS LAWSUITS

As many as 10,000 former NHL players and their family members may pursue court cases against the league, court documents say, alleging it has promoted a culture of violence over the past decades but has failed to established proper rules and protocols for preventing head injuries.The suggestion that so many former players may sue the league comes in a statement of claim filed this week in Minnesota by Cory Larose, a New Brunswick-born forward who signed as an undrafted free agent with the Minnesota Wild in 2000 but only played seven games in the NHL with the New York Rangers in 2003.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=461397

It all always comes down to one thing GW. Always one thing.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
At practice no shield on Lucic. Has that 'I'm going to **** up that snitch Weise' look

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
This is what I'm most looking forward to this regular season.

BntVWKoIUAEj8vr.jpg

Bread and Circuses

Smile and wave.
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2010
Somewhere in the middle
Hold on, let me wing punches at a visor with the possibility of destroying my hand on shots that would connect if it wasn't there.

It's a two-way street.

I know, I sure wouldn't throw a wild punch at a guy wearing one.

Let them all wear visors and if they wanna fight allow them to take the helmets off...

I agree with this but then you have the whole skull smashing the ice possibility.....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad