Value of: Mikko Rantanen

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Depth and ice time certainly factor in, they’ve been absolute forces and obviously have been asked to play insane minutes for a forward. With that being said, he’s attached to a competitive freak who goes all out every night, so his lack of effort becomes more emphasized. Nichuskin (while less healthy) has managed to play at a consistent high effort level at a very similar size.

He’s one of the most frustrating players because we know that when he’s on he can be better than MacKinnon.

Yet he’s never achieved anything close to Rantanen
Rants isn’t playing for regular season, he’s playing for Cups and he knows you have to pace yourself

If Mackinnon& Rants aren’t at their best in the post season Colorado has no chance, they are by far the 2 most important pieces on the F roster

He could be more consistent during the regular season but he’d have less in the tank in the post season.
All this is stupid talk when the guy is having back to back 100+ point seasons..

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Yet he’s never achieved anything close to Rantanen
Rants isn’t playing for regular season, he’s playing for Cups and he knows you have to pace yourself

If Mackinnon& Rants aren’t at their best in the post season Colorado has no chance, they are by far the 2 most important pieces on the F roster

He could be more consistent during the regular season but he’d have less in the tank in the post season.
All this is stupid talk when the guy is having back to back 100+ point seasons..

Nichuskin is considered to be one of the best two-way forwards in the game and is over a point per game pace this season, I think many Avs fans would agree that he actually has a larger impact on the team than Mikko.

I don’t know if I agree with it being stupid talk, it’s just fans trying to see how other teams perceive their players value. Mikko unlikely MacKinnon or Makar (at the moment) appears to be the most likely to be moved of the core 3.

Andrew Wiggin

Feb 8, 2020
Rantanen is unlikely to be traded, though in the scenario of Landeskog being healthy next season there is a significant cap crunch. It will likely be one of the non core players such as Colton, Girard, Manson or Lehkonen, with no Drouin or any of Colorados free agents retained. Some of it will depend on Mittelstadts number as well for how deep the cut needs to be. But lets say Avs management doesnt like the number Rantanens camp is looking for and opts for depth instead, and the unlikely scenario comes up and teams are able to talk extension as part of the trade.

Curious value wise if something like this would be possible:
To Buffalo:
Extended Rantanen
Wood

To Colorado:
Tuch
2024 1st
Benson
Wahlberg

Reactions: Brett44

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
As good as he is, its a 1 year rental that costs 9.25 million dollars.

IF he were to be traded, it would be for SIGNIFICANTLY less than all of the stuff being thrown around here.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta

IF he were to be traded, it would be for SIGNIFICANTLY less than all of the stuff being thrown around here.

He wouldn’t be traded as a rental is the point. It would be better for Colorado to keep him as a rental than trade him for rental value unless something catastrophic happens before the deadline next year.

In all likelihood he re-signs, but hey if a team offered something unbelievable they might have to consider it.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
View attachment 836842

I mean, if by "all time" you're referring to the past 5 years, alright. Or perhaps if you've only been watching NHL hockey for perhaps that same 5 year timespan, I can accept that. However, I get your admiration for hyperbole, but no. Not even close to actual "all time".
No, it's not a hyperbole. Of players, who have got at least 50 playoff points, here's the PPG list.

Capture.JPG

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Manson should be pretty easy to deal after next season with one year left when a Ratanen extension kicks in. That plus the increased cap should help. But the Avs would deal any combination of Manson, Nichuskin, Lehkonen and Ross before letting Mikko walk.

Reactions: Perratrooper

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
God I hate the idiots that deny the possibility of a trade, like bruh the whole thing is a hypothetical just answer the question or ignore the thread.
We Av's fan should probably just not click on this. We don't want him traded, and so any theoretical value that's accurate here will make us cry that it's a rip off. Also I agree with you.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC

Rantanen wouldn't turn down a contract from the Avs.

So really the only realistic scenarios are:

1) Avs re-sign Rantanen
2) Avs trade Rantanen after a contract is negotiated with the new team

Now there's a bunch of caveats for both options - i.e. how much does Rantanen want and if the Avs are willing to meet his demands, if another team is willing to pay Rants his asking price, etc.

Brett44

Feb 11, 2017
Rantanen is unlikely to be traded, though in the scenario of Landeskog being healthy next season there is a significant cap crunch. It will likely be one of the non core players such as Colton, Girard, Manson or Lehkonen, with no Drouin or any of Colorados free agents retained. Some of it will depend on Mittelstadts number as well for how deep the cut needs to be. But lets say Avs management doesnt like the number Rantanens camp is looking for and opts for depth instead, and the unlikely scenario comes up and teams are able to talk extension as part of the trade.

To Buffalo:
Extended Rantanen
Wood

To Colorado:
Tuch
2024 1st
Benson
Wahlberg
I like your proposition. And i think Buffalo is the 1st option.
Ottawa
Batherson
Greig
1st
Anaheim
Zegras
1st 2025
Max Jones

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
I`d believe Florida could also be a good trade-partner.

To Florida:

- Rantanen with agreeded contract extension 5x 9.75M

To Avs:

- Reinhart agreeded extension 5x 8,5M
- Lundell RFA (signs for 3-3,5M)

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Seems like the only deal that could make sense is where they downgrade at wing and upgrade somewhere else. But the only place they could really use an upgrade is in net. But who has a spare number 1G, one really worth it, and a replacement top six winger that could use Rants and can afford him. Maybe something like Forsberg and Saros? But don’t see how the Avs can afford that. Maybe Forsberg and Askarov?

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
I`d believe Florida could also be a good trade-partner.

To Florida:

- Rantanen with agreeded contract extension 5x 9.75M

To Avs:

- Reinhart agreeded extension 5x 8,5M
- Lundell RFA (signs for 3-3,5M)
If I'm Florida I don't touch that.

PatLaFontaineASMR

Jul 9, 2014
Parts Unkown

To Buffalo:
Extended Rantanen
Wood

To Colorado:
Tuch
2024 1st
Benson
Wahlberg
Sabres decline

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Thats fair, is there a framework there or just a hard pass?

I don't think they are interested in moving Tuch since he's such a big part of their dressing room and is part of their move to "guys who want to be here".

The 2024 first? Sure, that's easily on the table. Next year's first? Yep, that could be in there as well. A high-end prospect? Yes, though I have doubts they would be interested in moving Benson since he's already shown himself to be a capable NHLer. That then goes into their A-list types (Savoie or Kulich, not both). And of course Colorado would need a value deal for an established NHLer and that's going to be a tough sell to Sabre fans.

Two firsts, Kulich or Savoie and a player? It's steep, but it's trying to figure out the player side. Buffalo can push a lot of futures into it, if Colorado was looking to use those to shop elsewhere, but the details would have to be ironed out.

PatLaFontaineASMR

Jul 9, 2014
Parts Unkown
Thats fair, is there a framework there or just a hard pass?
I just don't think a 28 year old winger deserves that kind of haul, especially with him probably wanting 11M+ on a long term deal. It would make our future cap situation really messy. Maybe if we didn't have Skinner signed for 9M I'd pursue a deal. Benson would be off the table though. Trading Tuch wouldn't make sense either. Rantanen is obviously better, but we'd just be swapping our top line winger for another one. If anything I'd want to add Rantanen to a lineup that includes Tuch.

The framework of a deal I'd be interested in would be

1 of Kulich/Savoie/Ostlund
2024 1st
Greenway
Wahlberg

That would really be the only framework of a trade that would make sense for us that I could see Adams pulling the trigger on.

Andrew Wiggin

Feb 8, 2020
I don't think they are interested in moving Tuch since he's such a big part of their dressing room and is part of their move to "guys who want to be here".

The 2024 first? Sure, that's easily on the table. Next year's first? Yep, that could be in there as well. A high-end prospect? Yes, though I have doubts they would be interested in moving Benson since he's already shown himself to be a capable NHLer. That then goes into their A-list types (Savoie or Kulich, not both). And of course Colorado would need a value deal for an established NHLer and that's going to be a tough sell to Sabre fans.

Two firsts, Kulich or Savoie and a player? It's steep, but it's trying to figure out the player side. Buffalo can push a lot of futures into it, if Colorado was looking to use those to shop elsewhere, but the details would have to be ironed out.
I get that Tuch would be a difficult ask but to trade Rantanen the Avs would need someone a little more cost controlled that could step into the top 6. The reason i was looking at Buffalo was because they have the cap and the need for high skill players to take the next step and Rantanen would be a clear upgrade to the forward group. A high pick would be necessay as well to provide value to the deal. I thought maybe all three with Benson could be a stretch.

Maybe something closer to:
To Buffalo
Rantanen extended
Wood

To Colorado:
Tuch
2024 1st
2024 2nd
Krebs
Wahlberg

Ad

Upcoming events