Value of: Mikko Rantanen

Andrew Wiggin

Feb 8, 2020
I just don't think a 28 year old winger deserves that kind of haul, especially with him probably wanting 11M+ on a long term deal. It would make our future cap situation really messy. Maybe if we didn't have Skinner signed for 9M I'd pursue a deal. Benson would be off the table though. Trading Tuch wouldn't make sense either. Rantanen is obviously better, but we'd just be swapping our top line winger for another one. If anything I'd want to add Rantanen to a lineup that includes Tuch.

The framework of a deal I'd be interested in would be

1 of Kulich/Savoie/Ostlund
2024 1st
Greenway
Wahlberg

That would really be the only framework of a trade that would make sense for us that I could see Adams pulling the trigger on.
I mean we could use fututes instead to pursue another trade but ultimately the Avs would need someone at a reasonable cap that had top six capabilty. Tuch made sense as a starting point for Buffalo to upgrade their top line, and for the Avs to get some value back for one of their star players.

PatLaFontaineASMR

Jul 9, 2014
Parts Unkown
I get that Tuch would be a difficult ask but to trade Rantanen the Avs would need someone a little more cost controlled that could step into the top 6. The reason i was looking at Buffalo was because they have the cap and the need for high skill players to take the next step and Rantanen would be a clear upgrade to the forward group. A high pick would be necessay as well to provide value to the deal. I thought maybe all three with Benson could be a stretch.

Maybe something closer to:
To Buffalo
Rantanen extended
Wood

To Colorado:
Tuch
2024 1st
2024 2nd
Krebs
Wahlberg
He's an upgrade to the forward group, but I don't think the cost is worth it for us. We know Rantanen is amazing on the Avs, but what does he look like in Buffalo? We've already seen two 100+ point wingers move to different teams in recent years that had massive drop offs on new teams. If Rantanen was 23/24 years old it would make sense for us. He'll be turning 28 next season though. Would likely want an extension in the 12M+ range. That would make signing Peterka/Quinn/Benson extremely difficult in the coming years. I just don't think it's worth it. It would have to be a deal heavily involving futures with Buffalo finding a way to dump Skinner in some fashion. If Colorado wouldn't be interested in that I just don't think we're good trading partners.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I get that Tuch would be a difficult ask but to trade Rantanen the Avs would need someone a little more cost controlled that could step into the top 6. The reason i was looking at Buffalo was because they have the cap and the need for high skill players to take the next step and Rantanen would be a clear upgrade to the forward group. A high pick would be necessay as well to provide value to the deal. I thought maybe all three with Benson could be a stretch.

To Buffalo
Rantanen extended
Wood

To Colorado:
Tuch
2024 1st
2024 2nd
Krebs
Wahlberg

That’s likely a non starter then. Tuch is not on the table. *shrug*

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Agreed, it’s a weak year for draft. We’d need more then just lottery tickets

I’d say David Reinbacher, RHD. A young roster player and a first. I’m sure Montreal would probably Balk at that, 50 goal scorer and 2 years w/ over a hundred points. I wouldn’t settle for less
He's not a 50 goal scorer. Doing something once doesn't make you that player.

That said, there's no deal to be made between Colorado and probably the whole league where Colorado likes the return and the team acquiring Rantanen is fine with the cost.

If, for whatever reason Colorado wanted to trade Rantanen, whatever value he has, he gets traded for less. Star players are never traded for their value and that's just mainly because a team would be giving up way too much to acquire said player.

• Haha
Reactions: Pierce Hawthorne

Bijelo

Oct 23, 2022
First Flat

To Buffalo
Rantanen extended
Wood

To Colorado:
Tuch
2024 1st
2024 2nd
Krebs
Wahlberg

To Buffalo:

Rantanen

To Colorado:

Tuch
2024 1st
2024 2nd

Maybe this trade.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018

That said, there's no deal to be made between Colorado and probably the whole league where Colorado likes the return and the team acquiring Rantanen is fine with the cost.

If, for whatever reason Colorado wanted to trade Rantanen, whatever value he has, he gets traded for less. Star players are never traded for their value and that's just mainly because a team would be giving up way too much to acquire said player.

Yeah. Done once is better than the never dones.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007

Most people around here would say once you've done something you've hit ten that plateau. Then they'd say someone 'isn't that player anymore' if they can't keep up with a prior pace. Considering Rants has averaged 46g per 82 over the last 3 seasons while playing most of the games and had 55 during that, it seems pretty fair to say he's a 50g scorer or about as close as it gets...

His goals ebb and flow with how much MacK shoots versus passes. Last year he had the hot stick, this year MacK does. Doesn't mean either of them are any less of a goal scorer for that. Neither are your traditional one dimensional sniper or playmaker first liner.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Yeah. Done once is better than the never dones.
For sure.
Most people around here would say once you've done something you've hit ten that plateau. Then they'd say someone 'isn't that player anymore' if they can't keep up with a prior pace. Considering Rants has averaged 46g per 82 over the last 3 seasons while playing most of the games and had 55 during that, it seems pretty fair to say he's a 50g scorer or about as close as it gets...

His goals ebb and flow with how much MacK shoots versus passes. Last year he had the hot stick, this year MacK does. Doesn't mean either of them are any less of a goal scorer for that. Neither are your traditional one dimensional sniper or playmaker first liner.
No doubt. I'm not using it to diminish Rantanen and say he's not worth much, Avs fans are trying to boost his value, or anything.

Maybe Rantanen pots 50+ next season. He's definitely got the skill to do that again and will have the talent around him to help, but being close, or averaging doesn't mean you are. If he had 51,48,51, sure, but potentially using the career year to boost the averages is just disingenuous at this time.

He definitely has the skill to hit 50+ again, but until he does i wouldn't consider him a 50 goal scorer, just like I wouldn't have considered Matthews a 60 goal scorer before he did it again this year.

Reactions: GeoRox89

GeoRox89

Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
For sure.

No doubt. I'm not using it to diminish Rantanen and say he's not worth much, Avs fans are trying to boost his value, or anything.

Maybe Rantanen pots 50+ next season. He's definitely got the skill to do that again and will have the talent around him to help, but being close, or averaging doesn't mean you are. If he had 51,48,51, sure, but potentially using the career year to boost the averages is just disingenuous at this time.

He definitely has the skill to hit 50+ again, but until he does i wouldn't consider him a 50 goal scorer, just like I wouldn't have considered Matthews a 60 goal scorer before he did it again this year.
This is a fair assessment. He’s had 30 in 52, 36 in 75, 55 last year and 40 this year. Not sure I’d call that a ‘50 goal scorer’ as a general statement implying it as an expectation going forward. Do think he’s definitely a 40 goal scorer (as in you could reliably expect ~40 goals a year from him) who could again hit 50+ in a good year

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
This is a fair assessment. He’s had 30 in 52, 36 in 75, 55 last year and 40 this year. Not sure I’d call that a ‘50 goal scorer’ as a general statement implying it as an expectation going forward. Do think he’s definitely a 40 goal scorer (as in you could reliably expect ~40 goals a year from him) who could again hit 50+ in a good year
Easily.

Someone saying Rantanen hitting 40+, 100+ next season is definitely something I would bet on him doing.

Reactions: GeoRox89

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
For sure.

He’s a 100 point player now twice. And a top ten player in the league. My price is my price. If you don’t want to meat in a hypothetical that’s fine. I’ll move on

Edit 40 goals 50 goals doesn’t matter he’s money

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
If I'm Florida I don't touch that.

Reinhart is UFA so he doesn’t carry any trade value

I find it absolutely ridiculous how some fans think a team should rather let go of their superstar in is mid prime over depth players

Especially the Avs considering how insanely valuable Mackinnon- Rantanen duo has veen for them

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
Reinhart is UFA so he doesn’t carry any trade value

I find it absolutely ridiculous how some fans think a team should rather let go of their superstar in is mid prime over depth players

Especially the Avs considering how insanely valuable Mackinnon- Rantanen duo has veen for them
The deal I responded to was a sign and trade, did you miss that part?

Lundell and Reinhart aren't depth players.

Relax bud.

gritdash60

Aug 9, 2022
Behind the net
Not about the value really, but i can promise you that Buffalo is on Rantanen's 9 team NTC list. His good friend Ristolainen lives there and i promise you, Rantanen isn't going there ever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad