Mikko Koivu [Mod Warning Post #955]

Status
Not open for further replies.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
If you read most of the criticisms about Koivu's game, you'll find most agree with you. His struggles are primarily on the offensive side.

It's not just that he struggles, he is kind of a black hole of offense right now that is sucking the life out of his linemates.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Koivu's problem is Yeo.

Koivu is a programable robot. Richards had him set to offensive and hope the D game is there. Yeo flipped the switch and you have a solid D minded C that cannot think the O game on the fly.

A twice 20 goal scorer for JL

Has 39 goals in 151 games for Richards on terrible teams. One 20 goals season

Has only 35 in 176 for Yeo.
Has 94 assists to Brunno, Mittens compared to 101 with Yeo and Parise, Suter

Richard's first year he has 8 guys with 10 or more goals 4 with 20
Yeo's first year 6 with 10 or more 2 with 20

Richards second year 10 guys with 10 or more
Yeo last year 8

Some players can adapt and others are rule followers to the T. I do not think Yeo can coach a guy like Kovu to his style 100%. Yeo's style is D first, Koivu embraces that goes from there.

I think Yeo is still learning. Not a Yeo bash, just something he has to see and try to adapt himself.

Wild48

Ski U Mah
Nov 10, 2011
Duluth
Half of Koivu's season has been spent playing with Cooke and Fontaine. Neither one belong in the top 6. Period. Both are borderline popcorn makers considering the Wild's depth (although that applies more to Fontaine than Cooke).

I'll worry about Koivu if he doesn't start producing now that he's centering to top 6 quality players. Although I really wish Vanek - Koivu - Coyle would have gotten a longer chance to mesh.

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
Thought he was going to throw down with Thornton before the shootout. Not so sure Joe would have made it out of the Thunderdome.

Looked good tonight.

Is it just me or does his face look gaunt? He's always had kinda extra on his cheeks, but they look pretty tight now.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
He was like a dog going after a bone with Thornton. He was NOT happy and didn't want to let up. Joe must have said something about his momma.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
Thought he was going to throw down with Thornton before the shootout. Not so sure Joe would have made it out of the Thunderdome.

Looked good tonight.

Is it just me or does his face look gaunt? He's always had kinda extra on his cheeks, but they look pretty tight now.

He lost a bit of weight in the offseason, now he's back to his 2012-2013 weight. We're only talking about 7 lbs though, at least compared to the number the Wild had him at last year.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
One thing about the captaincy.

Two guys who were notorious for being difficult in the past, Heatley and Bryzgalov, absolutely loved it in Minny and didn't make a peep or a fuss the whole time. Had nothing but good things to say. I think that should count for something for Koivu and the leadership.

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
Watched the last ten minutes only. But at least in the end, before the shootout, saw the Kaptain we were missing. Spark and fire in his eyes. Loved it.

And I hear his overall game was better also, that's good news for the Wild.

Sarge58

Jan 25, 2014
The Koivu line tonight was simply unreal. I don't do stats, but visually they looked like they dominated puck possession. They seemed to win every race to the puck and the few times they didn't they used great stick work to gain possession. They moved the puck around like they had played together for years.

Generic User

How's your burger?
Jul 7, 2009
Uncanny Valley
The Koivu line tonight was simply unreal. I don't do stats, but visually they looked like they dominated puck possession. They seemed to win every race to the puck and the few times they didn't they used great stick work to gain possession. They moved the puck around like they had played together for years.

This is what stood out to me. Their puck movement was crisp and fluid. Just great overall. Would like to see that line stick together for a while.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013

awstaf

Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota

The stats definitely back that up. Coyle, Koivu and Zucker combined for a corsi (shots on goal + missed shots + blocked shots) of +59, which I've never really seen before.

Michael Hockey

Jun 4, 2012
For anyone who enjoys advanced stats, I did a little breakdown of Koivu thru the first 8 games.

http://alongtheboards.com/2014/10/gauging-mikko-koivu-panic-level/

Despite looking rough, guy has been a top 40 possession player in the NHL when the score is close. He has been downright terrible when playing with the lead though.

Here is a stat that I enjoy, when you score more goals than the opposing team you win. You can also help this stat by making great passes to your linemates so that they can score, but if nobody scores you will loose.

So far this season all that Koivu has done is lead the meltdown of the Wild`s Finns. And if they don`t start contributing something in the points department Minnesota will loose a lot more games.

As for Koivu if he keeps his point totals at this level, the following will most likely happen after the season. Finnish media will print out another hockey sob story where Koivu will tell us that "the season was a little difficult but that the points aren`t that important anyway", which is then soon followed by an announcement from Minnesota that Koivu is no longer playing with the team, since teams that wanna win usually want their top line centers to actually produce some points.

Somebody please wake up Koivu and the other Finns of the Wild before it is too late. :help:

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
Here is a stat that I enjoy, when you score more goals than the opposing team you win. You can also help this stat by making great passes to your linemates so that they can score, but if nobody scores you will loose.

So far this season all that Koivu has done is lead the meltdown of the Wild`s Finns. And if they don`t start contributing something in the points department Minnesota will loose a lot more games.

As for Koivu if he keeps his point totals at this level, the following will most likely happen after the season. Finnish media will print out another hockey sob story where Koivu will tell us that "the season was a little difficult but that the points aren`t that important anyway", which is then soon followed by an announcement from Minnesota that Koivu is no longer playing with the team, since teams that wanna win usually want their top line centers to actually produce some points.

Somebody please wake up Koivu and the other Finns of the Wild before it is too late. :help:

Calm down, man. At this rate half of the team would go in the next offseason. It won't happen, and it's actually everyone else who needs a wake up call more than Koivu right now. Of course Koivu needs to start putting up points but now he's playing on the same level he did for most of last year after playing much worse with Vanek.

countrygentleman

The Kaptain Says ARR
Jan 14, 2010
Minnesota
Exactly. Great to see captain step up big time. Now if only Granlund would wake up too...

Koivu's playing like crap... 3 points still. That's less than 1 pt per 4 games. That's ridiculous. How he played against San Jose is how he needs to play 82 games. Parise has no problem doing that.

About the only positive thing that can be said about Koivu this year is this: he's winning faceoffs and put home his one shootout opportunity. Otherwise, nothing. He's beyond invisible. I'm tired of people trying to defend him. HE HAS THREEEEEE POINTS THIS YEAR.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Koivu's playing like crap... 3 points still. That's less than 1 pt per 4 games. That's ridiculous. How he played against San Jose is how he needs to play 82 games. Parise has no problem doing that.

About the only positive thing that can be said about Koivu this year is this: he's winning faceoffs and put home his one shootout opportunity. Otherwise, nothing. He's beyond invisible. I'm tired of people trying to defend him. HE HAS THREEEEEE POINTS THIS YEAR.
And if he wasn't robbed by anderson and neimi and didn't have a goal called of he would have five goals he is third on the team in taking shots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce