Mikko Koivu as captain

Merya

Jokerit & Finland; anti-theist
Sep 23, 2008
Helsinki
Do you think Koivu will remain with the C? I guess in a way there are statistically better players in the team, but does Koivu's work ethic keep him as captain in the future?
Really hope he has a career year with Parise and Heatley.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Do you think Koivu will remain with the C? I guess in a way there are statistically better players in the team, but does Koivu's work ethic keep him as captain in the future?
Really hope he has a career year with Parise and Heatley.

With his leadership, I don't see him losing the C.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
i don't want it to change.
i see no reason why it would.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
He's doing a great job. Parise is really the only guy who might be "captain" material, but I'm sorry, Koivu's put in the time with the Wild through the good and bad.

jedisports

Jul 4, 2012
He is a wonderful captain. He has a calming presence and just knows this team inside and out. I love him in this role.

TheeNorthStar

Ok, dis hockey
Jun 2, 2012
MSP
He's doing a great job. Parise is really the only guy who might be "captain" material, but I'm sorry, Koivu's put in the time with the Wild through the good and bad.
Exactly.

His loyalty and work ethic. Fans have grown to love him. Its not going to leave his sweater.

geowild

Mostly Harmless
Jun 22, 2012
Western 'burbs
One of the reasons Jacques used rotating captains was he observed that once you've made a guy a perm captain, it's very hard to take it away from him without humiliating him. You basically have to trade him.

Mikko keeps the C. Zach would be the first guy to insist on it being that way.

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
I got a little worried when I saw this thread title. Every year there's always a bunch of posters who want it ripped from his sweater, usually for a bunch of really silly reasons.

It was refreshing to read this time, that many people here believe he should remain the captain.

roon

Mar 1, 2012
Minnesota
I would go as far as to say he is the most respected player on the roster. When he talks, people listen. He is a great player and leader. No reason that he should lose the C.

geowild

Mostly Harmless
Jun 22, 2012
Western 'burbs
The only weakness in Mikko as a C is he has a hard time dealing with the press when they're losing regularly. He's too frustrated to do the Bull Durham routine when that's happening ("Take it day by day, hope for the breaks", etc). Hopefully that is going to be less a problem from now on. :)

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
The only weakness in Mikko as a C is he has a hard time dealing with the press when they're losing regularly. He's too frustrated to do the Bull Durham routine when that's happening ("Take it day by day, hope for the breaks", etc). Hopefully that is going to be less a problem from now on. :)

I see that as a strength. I want a Captain that hates losing with an absolute passion.

geowild

Mostly Harmless
Jun 22, 2012
Western 'burbs
I see that as a strength. I want a Captain that hates losing with an absolute passion.

Put Styleswild next to him in the locker room then.

Russo: "Were you guys as awful tonight as you looked?"

Mikko: GRRRRARRRRZZ!

Syleswild: "Mikko says, 'We just need to take it one game at a time. . . ', and speaking just for myself, you might want to back up a couple feet, because I'm not sure you're out of reach of the chain right there."

jedisports

Jul 4, 2012
I would go as far as to say he is the most respected player on the roster. When he talks, people listen. He is a great player and leader. No reason that he should lose the C.

Exactly and even the way Zach talks about him proves how much he loves and respects him as captain.

Our set up is perfect... Mikko Captain, Zach and Ryan co-As. It's perfect.

Bookman

Feb 27, 2002
frozen north
Visit site
I got a little worried when I saw this thread title. Every year there's always a bunch of posters who want it ripped from his sweater, usually for a bunch of really silly reasons.

It was refreshing to read this time, that many people here believe he should remain the captain.

This ain't Wild.com; the experts there think he doesn't score enough goals to be cap'n. I remember reading a 20 page thread on the very topic.

In a similar vein, Koivu isn't a #1 center either. :shrug:

roon

Mar 1, 2012
Minnesota
This ain't Wild.com; the experts there think he doesn't score enough goals to be cap'n. I remember reading a 20 page thread on the very topic.

In a similar vein, Koivu isn't a #1 center either. :shrug:

What does goal scoring have to do with leadership?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad