Confirmed with Link: Mikhail Grigorenko assigned to Quebec (QMJHL)

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Yeah.... the thinking that managment "failed" the kid is pretty silly.

I basically think what JJ said is pretty much dead on.

Yeah..they played him with crap linemates and didn't give him enough PP time.... So what? ...

I douubt they wanted to put any kind of pressure on the kid at all.... wanted him to get his feet wet..and he did...

No reason the kids confidence should be shot or harmed in any way..because no expectations were placed on him..

He got a nice training camp.

I'm fine with what they did.

FearTheBeard

Mar 27, 2011
Because if they send him down now he stops at 22 games so this doesn't count as an accrued season towards free agency. All they lose is the money spent on the first year of his ELC.

As sjci pointed out in an earlier post

Why compound one mistake (wasting a year of his ELC) with wasting a year towards free agency as well?

got it, thanks. Didn't read through the full thread

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Nothing is really obvious after 5 games, I think if they had ten the choice may have been different

If they had 9 games and a full training camp with preseason games...then it would have been much easier to assess where Grigs was.

I don't blame the Sabres at all for keeping him up...just when he started being a healthy scratch that was the time to send him down. But better late than never.

sjci

Feb 13, 2007
Buffalo
Grigorenko's comments (the article is in french but Grigorenko answers english questions)

http://www.journaldequebec.com/2013/03/16/-cest-bon-detre-de-retour-

Ouch. You could tell from that interview that he was a little miffed that he was only getting 5 minutes when he played. Sounds like he was getting frustrated, as anyone would be

The video was especially telling, sounds of frustration/disappointment. Some highlights of it:

"Sometimes I was just thinking that maybe I should just ask them to do this (send back to Quebec) for me"

"I didn't really play hockey. They didn't really give me a chance to play there. I just really wanted to play hockey. I hope Patrick will play me more than 5 minutes per game"

"I am happy to be back(in Quebec). For sure I'm a little disappointed they sent me back, but being here is really awesome."

"I spoke with (Darcy) and he told me that as soon as I'm done here, I will go back to Buffalo.

In response to question about being ready to play 25 minutes:
"Yeah, yeah, for sure!"

And a few other remarks in the article:

"I have not learned much in my game with the puck, but I learned a lot in terms of play without the puck, play defensively and on faceoffs. You also learn to be independent off the ice when you play in the NHL."

How sad is this...
"It is much noisier at the Coliseum than in Buffalo"
Pretty decent size too: Capacity: 15,399

Last edited:

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
If he really is upset, that's not a bad thing. Why would we want a guy who isn't upset about low ice time?

That's where my heads at too. Good! Get mad! Get upset! Dominate in the playoffs. Work your tail off in the summer. Come to camp and make the coaching staff notice how much you've improved. Nothing will be handed to you.

EARN IT!!!!!!!

You don't deserve A N Y T H I N G

If he can't do that, park his ass in the AHL.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
Does he stop getting a paycheck now that he is with the Remparts?
Well, junior kids get a paycheck anyways.
It's rarely discussed, but two-way contracts are actually three-way I guess, as they can get up to $15,000 in salary (outside of signing bonsues) from their NHL team per season.

Anyways, back from Toronto and the OHL Cup.
Love how all the good stuff happens while I'm gone. :biglaugh:

Good on them for finally admitting their mistake.
How any "professional" could watch him play and come to the conclusion that he was ready to stick in the NHL is beyond me.
His World Juniors, which he ironically looked to be trending up during, probably made this happen.

Anyways, I'll stick by my interpretation of the rules and say that Regier is incorrect in saying that he can play for Rochester.
I doubt we see it tested, though.
There are plenty of management guys in this league that don't know **** half the time, so I don't see why this would be any different.
At first glance everything looks fine, but him being ineligible is a technicality.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Well, junior kids get a paycheck anyways.
It's rarely discussed, but two-way contracts are actually three-way I guess, as they can get up to $15,000 in salary (outside of signing bonsues) from their NHL team per season.

Anyways, back from Toronto and the OHL Cup.
Love how all the good stuff happens while I'm gone. :biglaugh:

Good on them for finally admitting their mistake.
How any "professional" could watch him play and come to the conclusion that he was ready to stick in the NHL is beyond me.
His World Juniors, which he ironically looked to be trending up during, probably made this happen.

Anyways, I'll stick by my interpretation of the rules and say that Regier is incorrect in saying that he can play for Rochester.
I doubt we see it tested, though.
There are plenty of management guys in this league that don't know **** half the time, so I don't see why this would be any different.
At first glance everything looks fine, but him being ineligible is a technicality.

Ice Dogs pick 7th, will they get a guy they can build around?

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
I think you're wrong on this, as Chere is reporting the same thing with Matteau's assignment to the QMJHL:
Rich Chere ‏@Ledger_NJDevils
Lamoriello: "For his development it's best that he go back." Matteau could return to the Devils or play in Albany after junior team is done

Link: https://twitter.com/Ledger_NJDevils/status/313406732338610178

Edit: And Gulitti too.
After Blainville-Boisbriand’s season is over, Matteau, 19, will be eligible to return to the NHL with the Devils or play in the AHL with Albany.

Link: http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice/devils_return_stefan_matteau_to_qmjhl_for_playoffs/

dugman

Mar 21, 2008
That guy is awesome. Now that he has his confidence back, we really need to bring him back up to the Sabres...

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
Ice Dogs pick 7th, will they get a guy they can build around?
Yes, and it could potentially get even better if Day is granted ES.

I'd be shocked if he falls as I think he's the best Ontario 97 not named McDavid, but Dylan Strome would look good in an IceDogs jersey.
Brett McKenzie may end up in your lap too.
If you still have a 2nd or traded for a higher one, there's a local kid Michael Davies from Southern Tier that is really good too.

I think you're wrong on this, as Chere is reporting the same thing with Matteau's assignment to the QMJHL:

Edit: And Gulitti too.
Do these reporters actually know the intricacies of this situation though?
They probably know very little about the CBA, let alone rules regarding AHL playoff eligibility.

I thought that he'd be eligible too, but looking at it closer, I don't think that's the case.
Look at my train of thought and look at previous examples of NHL contracted (played too many games to slide) juniors that have been re-assigned (none, to my knowledge).

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Yes, and it could potentially get even better if Day is granted ES.

I'd be shocked if he falls as I think he's the best Ontario 97 not named McDavid, but Dylan Strome would look good in an IceDogs jersey.
If you still have a 2nd or traded for a higher one, there's a local kid Michael Davies from Southern Tier that is really good too.

Do these reporters actually know the intricacies of this situation though?
They probably know very little about the CBA, let alone rules regarding AHL playoff eligibility.

I thought that he'd be eligible too, but looking at it closer, I don't think that's the case.

would be pretty cool to see that, never seen him play but have heard he has size and very skilled.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Look at my train of thought and look at previous examples of NHL contracted (played too many games to slide) juniors that have been re-assigned (none, to my knowledge).

Luca Sbisa in 2008-09

39 games with the Flyers then returned to Lethbridge for the remainder of the season and playoffs (18 games), then finished the season with the Phantoms.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
would be pretty cool to see that, never seen him play but have heard he has size and very skilled.
He's a master of subtlety to the point that no one seems to appreciate him.
The knock on him is that he has incredibly heavy feet at this point off the start, but he's also 6'2'' at 15.
Once he gets going, I think he's fine.
He has some of Ryan's moves too, but is more in the prototypical big pivot mold.

Matt Spencer of Oakville is right up there in my mind too, although I've seen him and the Rangers more than Strome and the Marlies or someone like Konecny because the SCTA is the closest.
He's very comparable to McKeow, but I highly doubt he falls that far.

Luca Sbisa in 2008-09

39 games with the Flyers then returned to Lethbridge for the remainder of the season and playoffs (18 games), then finished the season with the Phantoms.
Good call.
He didn't play in the playoffs though, even though the Phantoms made it.

Not sure if that was a coaches call or if he was ineligible.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
Also, Sbisa confirms something else I suspected, based on CBA language: sliding at age 19 only occurs if the 18 year old year wasn't burned.
If Grigorenko isn't ready to play in the NHL next season, the contract doesn't slide because they burned the first year.

Say what you want about money not mattering, but it's just stupid to waste not one but potentially two $925,000 years (bonuses are not part of the cap hit) because they made a terrible evaluation.
It's also worse because he's a forward, who are more likely to contribute at a high level at a young age than a defenseman (like Sbisa).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad