Prospect Info: Mikhail Grigorenko (2012, 12th) – '14-15: Rochester #25 (AHL) – Part 3: Reassigned

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Mod Edit :Thread continuation - http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1400185

http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/te...mikhail-grigorenko-the-tail-cant-wag-the-dog/

“We can’t control what people do and what they say, but we can certainly control how we’re going to run this organization and what we feel is necessary for the development of young players,” Nolan said following practice inside the First Niagara Center. “The tail can’t wag the dog; the dog wags the tail.

“We feel as an organization it’s best for him to develop in junior hockey. That’s not taking anything away from him. He’s got some skills and he’s got some ability. But in order to play at this level we just need a little bit more.”

Can Nolan appreciate what Grigorenko’s going through?

“You got to make the best of whatever situation you’re in,” he said. “If he learns at a young age, it’s even better. But you will learn to adapt and to adjust, and if you don’t, someone else is always going to take your job.”

Ok then....

Last edited by a moderator:

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
We have high priced help whose job it is to evaluate players and make press announcements. I would be pissed if my coach thought he was the voice of the Sabres. He coaches. Just as Grigorenko has his job to do so does Nolan. I do NOT want him making public statements about players even if I agree-he is Not the GM, Asst GM, Director of player development, Player Consultant, President of Hockey Operations--he is entitled to his private opinion and should make it known to his bosses. The foreman should not be telling the media what he thinks of the workers...his tail should not be wagging his boss.....

LaFontaineToMogilny

Jul 16, 2013
We have high priced help whose job it is to evaluate players and make press announcements. I would be pissed if my coach thought he was the voice of the Sabres. He coaches. Just as Grigorenko has his job to do so does Nolan. I do NOT want him making public statements about players even if I agree-he is Not the GM, Asst GM, Director of player development, Player Consultant, President of Hockey Operations--he is entitled to his private opinion and should make it known to his bosses. The foreman should not be telling the media what he thinks of the workers...his tail should not be wagging his boss.....

Yeah, this is the thing that strikes me as the oddest in this whole thing: How far Ted Nolan is going in calling out one of the young players on the team publicly and why he is allowed to carry on like that in the media.

I think it's paramount for the organization that the interim label is kept firmly in place.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011

I agree with this. Ted's outspokenness isn't helping anything, I think. Grigorenko needs to grow up, but at the same time, a smart organization would be doing what it can to make him feel valued despite the situation. Ted's calling him out in the media isn't doing that.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Man, Nolan is getting after Grigo. How long after the interim tag is removed does Grigorenko get traded?

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
“You got to make the best of whatever situation you’re in,†he said. “If he learns at a young age, it’s even better. But you will learn to adapt and to adjust, and if you don’t, someone else is always going to take your job.â€

Says the guy who turned down a one year contract with the Sabres years ago.

He speaks from experience!

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Man, Nolan is getting after Grigo. How long after the interim tag is removed does Grigorenko get traded?

I have to agree with those who are being critical of Nolan's comments.

I've harped on putting strong organizational structure in place during this debacle. And I was 100% against Grigorenko's actions. And backed the organization completely in its decision.

I'm perfectly fine with the coach having his input behind closed doors with the front office... but Grigorenko is NOT on his roster... and therefore he should shut the **** up. It's not his job right now. And he's doing nothing but stir the pot.

Just like Grigorenko needs to understand his place in the organization... so does Nolan.

zbubble

Jul 29, 2005

Part of a coaches job is to make public statements about their players. That's why they put a little podium up in a press room that he speaks at and answers questions at after games. That's why he get interviewed by media after practice.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Part of a coaches job is to make public statements about their players. That's why they put a little podium up in a press room that he speaks at and answers questions at after games. That's why he get interviewed by media after practice.

Grigorenko isn't one of Nolan's players...

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012

I was going to say the same thing.

If his boss doesn't want him commenting about a specific player move then they would tell him that. Then Nolan, could just say: you need to ask the GM about the player move.

Even better, if the GM wants to get out in front of it, he could speak to the media before his coach is slated to have his press conference.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

He was when the meeting happened and that is what a lot of this was about.

Also, have Murray and LaFontaine turned down requests to talk to the media about this? I haven't read any quotes from those guys.

zbubble

Jul 29, 2005

Everybody in the system is one of his players. He's Sabres' property, and Ted is the head coach. If he wants to talk about how he watched Ristolainen and Zadorov in the WJCs, you're telling me that's off limits? (For the record he did and said they played great.)

Mit Yarrum

HoF Turd Shiner
Apr 1, 2010

In one of the interviews I heard from TM, he mentioned that he won't be taking much input from the coaches when it comes to player movement. Something along the lines of "what can you tell me that I don't already know".

I don't think an exception would be applied to Ted Nolan, of all people.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
He was when the meeting happened and that is what a lot of this was about.

Also, have Murray and LaFontaine turned down requests to talk to the media about this? I haven't read any quotes from those guys.

Ehhh, hang the Interim guy out to dry.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
In one of the interviews I heard from TM, he mentioned that he won't be taking much input from the coaches when it comes to player movement. Something along the lines of "what can you tell me that I don't already know".

I don't think an exception would be applied to Ted Nolan, of all people.

As stated by others, it is the coach's job to talk about players and player moves to the press after practice. If Ted doesn't have a say on something, tough luck for him, but he still needs to speak for his boss/organization.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Everybody in the system is one of his players.

no.... no not at all. what a silly statement

He's Sabres' property, and Ted is the head coach.

Nolan is the head coach of the NHL roster.

If he wants to talk about how he watched Ristolainen and Zadorov in the WJCs, you're telling me that's off limits? (For the record he did and said they played great.)

It's the nature of the comments. It's Ted's ego showing.

There's a reason the Front Office separates itself from the coaching staff.

zbubble

Jul 29, 2005
no.... no not at all. what a silly statement

No sillier than suggesting Nolan can't speak to a situation he was a part of while on the roster because now he's left the roster.

Nolan is the head coach of the NHL roster.

It is one of his jobs, yes. But not a limiting factor.

It's the nature of the comments. It's Ted's ego showing.

That's a guess on your part. For all anyone knows he could have Pat's and Tim's blessing to address the media about it any way he sees fit.

Last edited:

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
No sillier than suggesting Nolan can't speak to a situation he was a part of because he's left the roster.

It is one of his jobs, yes. But not a limiting factor.

That's a guess on your part. For all anyone knows he could have Pat's and Tim's blessing to address the media about it any way he sees fit.

What? It's his only job.

LaFontaineToMogilny

Jul 16, 2013
I don't see what's so bad about this quote...

Based on recent events a much better thing for Ted Nolan to do would be to give a generic "We're happy he decided to report and are looking forward to following his development".

The stuff he said is completely unnecessary to take to the press and doesn't do anything but potentially sour the relationship even more. I think the unwillingness or inability to handle something like this more professionally is why Nolan ruffles feathers wherever he goes (allegedly).

rtfirefly

Nov 13, 2013
I realize that this may not be the prevailing, or popular opinion at the moment.
But I believe that for as long as Ted Nolan remains the Sabres coach, there will be one tire fire after another. He has lots of good qualities. Most notably his blue collar, honest-day's-work-for-an-honest-day's-pay ethos that plays particularly well in a community like ours. But it's his not-so-good qualities that aren't so good. Ted Nolan's ideal team would have twelve fourth-line forwards, and six number-seven defenseman. He would get the most out of them. More than anyone else perhaps. And he would drive fourteenth-place talent to a ninth-place finish, or even squeak them into the playoffs. Then everyone would bow down, hail the job he did, and declare that only Teddy could get that much from his players. Yes, he can get fourth-liners to play like third-liners. Unfortunately, he's as intent on making first and second liners play like third-liners. That way, the focus—and the credit— stays where he believes it belongs. On him. And on the self-created folk-hero persona that defiantly rejects those trifling notions of working constantly to develop new strategy and tactics, of studying and analyzing video, of even knowing what team he's playing next. He's too resolutely old-school for all that nonsense. His way of doing things was good enough in 1955, so it must be good enough now. In a way, I wish that were so. I find that attitude as nostalgically appealing as anyone else. And if we want to content ourselves with having the "hardest working" ninth-place finishers in hockey, or even now-and-then the scrappiest first-round losers, then he's the man for the job. I guess that's better than what we've had the last few years. But I doubt that we could expect more. The ossification of his ideas is in proportion to the exultation of his ego.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad