Confirmed with Link: Mikhail Berdin will not remain with the club for the 2022-23 NHL season

jefferoni

your mother was a hamster
Oct 30, 2013
Winnipeg

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
I wish him nothing but the best...

berdin_mikhail.jpg

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
No Russian should be collecting a paycheque in the NHL or any PRO league outside Russia, good riddanc!

Panarin excluded, he gets it!

Finally……. I’m reading this thread tying to figure out the cryptic statements from the league in which they make a official statement that creates more questions than it answers.

Meanwhile whatever he is dealing with…. it’s none of our business. He doesn’t need fan pity or fan sympathy…..Reading the first 10 posts I felt like I was being tied down and forced to watch those bleeding heart liberal women who wear those comfortable shoes on “The View”.

Then Sip comes in and tells it like it is.

Let’s talk hockey

- Berdin was not making the Jets this year
- Berdin won’t be missed on the Moose and can easily be replaced.
- Berdin was going to be paid an NHL salary on his one way contract this year.
- Maybe True north saves some $ if Berdin is in this NHLPA help group for the year due to insurance or league/ union program.
- Berdin will not receive a qualifying offer from Jets after this season.
- If Berdin wants to “ stay closer to home” my advice is KHL ….. or KGB!

Last edited:
Reactions: Gotaf7 and sipowicz

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
He didn’t have anything negative to say about the Jets. Apparently he wanted to be with his family in his native Russia and it was more important than his hockey dream. No dependancies, no mental problems. Pretty tame stuff. It is a 1 year contract delay.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg

Translated, cut & pasted with the magic of Google Translate

The truth about the strange story with the goalkeeper

The news that Mikhail Berdin is leaving Winnipeg became the most discussed topic on Friday. The Russian goalkeeper turned out to be part of the Substance Abuse and Behavioral Health Program. Through the Substance Abuse and Behavioral Health program, he receives a one-year deferral of his contract with the NHL club and returns to Russia. All this gave rise to rumors that the Russian goalkeeper has problems with alcohol or drugs. We contacted Mikhail to find out firsthand his version of events.

Russian goalkeeper has drug problems in Canada? Berdin returns to Russia without playing in the NHL

Q: The Substance Abuse and Behavioral Health Program, under which your contract with Winnipeg is suspended, usually involves a drug or alcohol problem. Is this your case?
A: You can get into this program for a number of reasons, including psychological problems. My participation in this program is voluntary. This is solely my initiative, not the club's.

Q: Does this mean that you have some psychological problems?
A: I don't have any psychological problems. I am happy to be returning home. I expressed it to the club in such a way that I want to return to my family at such a difficult time. Now I want to be with my family and with my homeland.

Q: From the outside, it looks like you, as Czechs or Finns playing in the KHL, were pressured by your relatives. Has there ever been a family member, such as your parents, who insisted that you leave Canada as soon as possible?
A: My parents didn’t push me. Of course, they experienced the whole situation. They were worried that I was in Canada. But they know that I make decisions on my own, as I have been living alone since I was 13 years old. So they didn't ask for anything.

Q: Have you been uncomfortable in Canada for the last six months? It is known that there are many Ukrainian emigrants there. Ovechkin was whistled in Calgary, Edmonton and other cities.
A: It’s always hard for me to be in another country. Missing home anyway. I didn't feel any real pressure. We, hockey players, live in our own vacuum. We don’t go anywhere in particular, we don’t contact other people. Home is work, work is home. All the guys in the team treated me well. Of course, they ask something, they want to know, but nothing more.

Q: How did the club react to your request? Were the negotiations difficult?
A: In fact, the decision was made by me during the last season. It’s just that I didn’t announce this to any of the guys in the team. Only a few friends knew about it. After the playoffs at the final dinner, I gathered all the guys and said that because of the current situation, I want to return to Russia and have to say goodbye. They were surprised that I came to the training camp. But I only came to negotiate the termination. Some asked not to leave.

Q: Do I understand correctly that the Substance Abuse and Behavioral Health Program in your case is an alternative to a lease, which is now quite difficult to arrange between NHL and KHL clubs?
A: Winnipeg didn't want to lose the rights to me. If they terminated the contract, then they would have to put me in a waiver draft. I could have been picked up by another team, and that was not part of their plans. If I want to return to the NHL, I will play for Winnipeg.

Q: Is there a desire? Do you see yourself in the Winnipeg system in a year?
A: Hockey players have an amazing life. You never know where you will be tomorrow. It's hard to plan anything. Of course, such a goal as the NHL remains. I would like to close it sometime. But now my thoughts are completely different. There can be no talk of any return to Canada now.

Q: You had to enter into force a one-sided contract. There was a chance to compete for the role of backup Hellebuyck. No worries about missing out on a chance?
A: I never thought who my competitor is. From an early age, I started as the second goalkeeper, and then became the first. I love competition. Of course, it was not an easy decision. I have been striving for this one-sided contract for a very long time. And I got it. When you almost reach the goal and turn around ... It's not easy. But I wondered why I play hockey? And I play to be happy. Now I can be happy at home, next to my family. There are some things more important than hockey.

“We have never been drunk, we have not dishonored our country.” SKA goalkeeper Berdin on his return to Russia and a party on a yacht

Q: Do you understand foreigners who leave Russia for their own countries? In fact, you are now in the same situation as the Finns, Czechs and Americans who left the KHL.
A: It would probably be wrong for me to rate someone. Everyone is free to decide what is more important to him, based on his values and the interests of the family. For some, hockey comes first, for others, the financial component. I was raised in such a way that my priority will always be family.

Q: The Russian media report both the option with Kunlun and the probable transfer to Sochi. At the same time, the rights to you belong to SKA. Which club will you play for this KHL season?
A: If you open all the cards at once, then you, the journalists, will get bored! You need to leave some intrigue to make it interesting. I'm still on my way to Russia. As soon as I return, I will sign the contract, then we will announce everything officially.

Q: Do you think that other NHLers will follow you? Maybe someone has already discussed this possibility?
A: We communicate with all the Russian guys, united in one fist. I don’t know who will return, but I know for sure that every kid who plays in the NHL is a patriot and loves his country. And who decides what - this is everyone's business.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad