LIKED
+ excellent accuracy on shots and passes
+ great balance
+ neutral kick point

DISLIKED
- flex was a hair stiff
- finish is a little ugly

Appearance
Stick has a black shaft that is painted white for the lower 1/3 and blade portion. Font is kind of a cheesy 3D orange. It's not a really attractive stick. The white is supposed to help hide the stick with the ice, but I don't know if that's going to make a difference. It does get marked up really quickly with pucks.

Shaft Profile & Grip
The shaft is squared with rounded corners and feels maybe a bit larger than most intermediate sticks. The grip is kind of a matte rubbery finish which is more grippy than most matte sticks but less grippy than gloss grip sticks. It worked find for me but I kind of prefer glossy grip.

Weight & Balance
The listed weight is in the mid 400's and it doesn't feel featherweight light like the latest high end sticks. But the balance is extremely good, probably the best I've ever used. It's a very sturdy feeling stick too with enough heft to feel like it will chop a high-end twig in half!

Puck Feel
The blade itself is thicker than most sticks which gives it a different feel. It's solid and crisp but not ceramic or soft. Like a harder version of a thick wood blade. You definitely feel where the puck is on the blade. Hard passes aren't caught quite as easily as a lot of top end sticks but it's certainly not difficult either. A good middle-of-the-road blade.

Flex & Kickpoint
I believe there is no engineered kickpoint for this stick, and there's no fancy dagger or elliptical taper or anything. Just an "old school" tapered shaft into a blade. The listed flex is 65 but it feels stiffer, like a 75+. I do know that Miken offered a number of flexes for senior sticks which was cool, 70, 80, 90, and 100. I wouldn't read into it too much, but for intermediate sticks, the 65 felt a bit stiff. When you lean into shots, there's just a bit of give at the bottom hand, no top hand kick, not overly stiff in the hands, just a natural kick much like a wood stick or your older composites.

Shooting
Okay, it's a mid/natural kick stick that feels a bit stiff and I'm a wrist shot guy. Not the best combination but not bad either. For the most part, shots come off with lots of power but the release isn't the fastest. This could be me trying to load the stick too much because it's not loading up as quick/much as I would like. But shots are good.

I don't take many slappers, but they come off very strong with this stick. Usually my shots stay low with the slappers, but last night I took a half slapper that got a bit out towards the toe and it was a great shot that was about bar height from the top of the circles. Again, if you've got a good slapper, I think this stick will work great for you.

Accuracy is fantastic, high and low, left to right, the puck goes where I aim on shots and passes. Saucer passes are very easy to execute.

Durability
A little hard to judge as this stick went in and out of the rotation due to the curve, but the paint is just full of black puck marks and the the paint on the blade has peeled off with tape. Yet there is not a gouge, chip, or crack anywhere on the stick. It feels like a tank and so far has held up like one. If and when the stick ever dies, I'll post back, but I think this is a pretty durable stick.

Conclusions/Recommendations
So why do a review on a clearance stick? Well, two reasons. First, maybe somehow Miken sees the feedback and continues to refine their sticks (they were very active on other hockey websites). Second, there are still some out there for under $100 in pretty much every curve and flex.

This is a pretty good all-around stick. It's not designed for any one shot or player type, the balance is great, weight is good, puck feel is middle of the road, and durability seems excellent. At the price it's a no-brainer.

I'm not sure if Miken's still in the stick game, but it seems like they made huge strides between their first and second offerings and I would love to see what they do down the road.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
And here are some of my posts on the stick while using:

-----

First game with the Miken Z9 last night. 65 flex BP14 curve with grip.

Wow. Very impressed.

Getting past the "meh" looks, it's interesting and kind of old-school in terms of construction.

The shaft has rounded corners and flat walls, like a Vapor, but it's a bit more substantial. The Vapor feels pretty thin in the hands. You know how the shaft is rectangular with one side longer than the other? The Z9's "shorter" side is a little bit longer, so it's a bit more closer to a square than rectangle, but not overly boxy. It's comfortable for someone like me with a little smaller hands but without being as thin as many intermediates.

There's no fancy taper to this stick. It just tapers down to the blade like you'd expect. No daggers, triangles, ellipses, super narrow, or flare. Just a taper.

The blade is a bit thicker than most sticks nowadays which have gotten super thin. Especially towards the heel. Again just an old-school type construction.

Grip finish is a little different. It's a rubbery matte finish but has more grip than other matte finishes. My gloves have fairly smooth palms so I like a lot of grip and don't really care for too much texture. This worked just fine. I'd say it's not extremely grippy but very comfortable. I believe the top 12" or so is non-grip for stickhandling, which I don't ever care about or notice.

Okay, now on to the first use.

I get to the game late for warmups (as usual) so I jump on the ice and grab a puck and notice two things right off the bat:

1. Balance is PERFECT. PERFECT. You literally don't feel the weight of the stick ever. Some sticks are blade light so they feel heavier in the top hand, some are blade heavy so they feel heavier in the bottom hand...this one is just perfect. First one I've ever encountered.

2. Stick feel is very good. It feels a lot like a wood stick in that the blade is an extension of the shaft but it's got that crispness of composite. Again, first time I touch the ice and grab a puck and I'm moving through scattered pucks on the ice with ease.

This was consistent throughout the night. Made it very easy to play with the puck.

I'm pretty good at knocking down and catching hot and off-target passes and they came off a little hotter on this blade than other modern sticks, but nothing unmanageable. So not perfect, but maybe a trade-off for the feel.

Didn't get enough to make a great judgment on shooting but I'll try and make some observations.

Shots came off feeling heavy. Dunno if that's the same as quick. But they had some weight to them. Hit the boards with a big BANG. Huge thud hitting the pads and glove. Cringes hitting defenders in the groin (sorry).

Again I need to take more shots, but you don't feel the stick flexing, it's more that it shoots without making you aware of the flex. This could be the more mid-flex aspect of this stick. Now I'm coming from a 55 flex which was super whippy, and before that a 70 flex low kick that felt super stiff up top. For my shots (high hands, wrist/snap shot, like to load and release) the flex felt very natural.

Shot accuracy is hard to say. First time using this curve and I'll cover that in the E28/P14 thread. Seems good so far.

Didn't take any slappers with it because I'm awful at them. Well I tried to take one but I whiffed on the puck.

Backhanders were especially heavy and accurate. Maybe this is due to the slightly thicker blade. It just felt very solid and connected, like there was no effort to take a backhand shot. Probably the hardest backhanders I've had to date.

So just one game in, honeymoon, but I'm really happy with this stick. Nothing so far I would change. Dunno if the kick is better, the same, or worse than my favorite to date (Vapor X:60) but everything else is a home run in my opinion.

-----

Okay, first game with the BP14 last night.

Shorter blade made for much easier puck handling. Like very quick puck movement through loose pucks in warmups. Although smaller toe makes for harder drags.

Not much difference in terms of blade lie while puck handling vs P92.

Passing seemed a little easier, especially on the backhand. Not sure why. I was able to lift and flip pucks easier than the P92 front and back.

Forehand shots seem to be lower than the P92. Not sure if this is because the flatter lie at the toe makes you cup the puck more. That's my guess since I think it's essentially a P92 that has been shaved down.

But that flatter lie up front seems to help with accuracy for me. The shots I took were much more on target than they have been lately and more predictable.

I think once I get some practice time and dial in my shot, I'm going to like it. Not sure yet if I'm going to want a bit more loft (like a P08). Maybe lower shots would be good for me.

-----

Went back to my P14 last night. I've avoided it the last few games because it "shoots too low". Well after missing high and wide a few times with my P92 (too whippy as well), sniped one with the P14. Toe drag, defender as a screen, right in corner high glove. Other team actually came to tell me it was a really nice shot. Goalie after the game said she thought someone else had the puck

I still get this nagging feeling like the curve is off, maybe because it's ugly.

-----

This one felt a bit short as well, but shots felt very solid. Left-to-right accuracy is excellent. Shots go a little lower as the loft is neutral until the toe and I shoot from the mid. A bit hard feeling, not soft, with the puck. I get the feeling the P14 is kind of a compromise curve, I like it overall and maybe more if I was playing defense, but then the blade is short and the toe tiny so it's not a great curve for board play.

-----

Tried the 55 flex Warrior again last night, just no can do. Love the weight and puck feel but all my shots torque off target. Same as before, high and wide. Switched to my Miken and had a goal within the first couple shifts.

-----

(from last night per the time stamp)

Used this last night as I'm considering a neutral loft curve and didn't love the Forsberg, as I didn't like the curve starting at the heel. So this was kind of like a P88 with an open toe.

As I've said above, it feels a bit stiff and I like to really feel some whip on the stick and that's a bit of a turnoff. So I have to lean in a lot more and try to use more strength on the shots rather than letting the stick do the work.

I did warmups with a different stick, actually an intermediate SE16 flipped with a junior standard wood blade in it, and that thing was torquing open on every shot I took, missed the net a few times early, and made the switch.

First shot I took went in. And that was the third time I've switched to this stick and scored on the next shot. Why do I keep going away from it? Wrist shot from the left faceoff dot that went five hole on the goalie.

Unfortunately, that was about it for my shots as the other team kicked it up and was able to force me to the boards on breakaways and just not a lot of puck luck from there.

I liked the curve enough to give it another week and hold off on buying a P88 for now (maybe...). I do like the stick, just feel it's a bit stiff.

lonewolfsx

Apr 25, 2013
Thanks for this review, this stick has been on my radar a little bit due to the 70-flex or 80-flex Senior options being right about what I was looking for.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Glad I could help!

I would say they are pretty true to flex. The 80 is a hair softer than most 85 flex and the 70 is a hair softer than most 75 flex. Which is weird because the 65 intermediate is a bit stiffer than most intermediate 65's.

Malarowski

Jul 25, 2012
Pulled the trigger on this too. While I do have a Mako 2, I am afraid that it will get destroyed from me being clumsy while learning. Will also be interesting to get a feel for different sticks as I also have 2 Dolomite DD coming. I should be set for a while now with sticks, I suppose. Additionally, I won't be afraid to cut the stick as I am with the Mako2, which I am still using at stock length being 5'10", although I did not feel an issue with it so far, maybe having a shorter stick will open my eyes though.

Now I only hope Miken sticks around, or if I love the stick has a fire sale and I can stock up for life with these. ;)

Malarowski

Jul 25, 2012
Just got my stick, curiously enough it has a "Hockey Green" sticker on it and the grip finish is scratched off in a few places, I wonder if this is a 'recycled' stick.

Anyway, not in love with the grip finish due to it peeling already, but we'll see how it holds up. Other than that it seems nice, going in on the ice tomorrow. The stick seems very long though, will have to chop 3" easily.

Malarowski

Jul 25, 2012
It did look new other than the grip finish being scratched off in multiple places and the barcode tag having been ripped off (not cleanly though). Not a huge deal, I did research the hockey green program, seems pretty cool. Thanks for the confirmation though.

Malarowski

Jul 25, 2012
First skate with it today, I love it! Feels just like the Mako, for almost a third of the price. Very nice stick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad