Mike Yeo's Blues and Ken Hitchcock's Stars

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
For the Blues Fans and few Stars Fans on HF have their been a noticeable change?

Was impressed with Blues defensively last playoffs but not with their offense. It seems like they've been scoring a lot of goals this season so is this just sample size or has something changed.

Never been a fan of Hitchcock when he was with the Blues but there's definitely a fit there with the Stars and their defensive woes. Have the Stars improved in that department in these 10 games?

Two of the more star studded and talented teams in the West. Both should make the playoffs.

TarasenkosForearm

Oct 21, 2017
The Blues have activated the D to a point where it is hard to control. Plus, even though they have lost 64 man games, the addition of Schenn has proved superb.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Yeo said last year he just wanted to tighten up the defense last year to stop the bleeding and he did.

This year, we're seeing the full system. While they aren't the most rediculous offensively coached team, they can score. They look pretty good too. The way he has the defense playing offense is insane.

Got One Cup

Jun 3, 2008
Our defense is far more active than it ever was in Hitchcock’s system. When Yeo first took over I thought it would be same system as before but doesn’t seem that way.

mw2noobbuster

Jun 28, 2016
Alberta, Canada
Schwartz > Tarasenko?
No, I can't say that. Tarasenko is getting doubled and has guys draped all over him this year. He is really playing a full game though.
Agreed. Tarasenko has to battle a double team out there everytime he touches the ice. Difference from previous years is that he has linemates that can score and create space as well.

Reactions: TarasenkosForearm

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
As others have stated, the Blues D-men are much more active on the offensive zone, and they are aggressive on gap closures - something I absolutely hated that happened with Hitchcock’s team (no gap closure).

Chubbinz

Nov 1, 2016
Of course there is going to be an improvement with a fresh voice instead of a coach wearing thin on a roster. Hitch coached the team to a crap ton of wins, just like I am sure Yeo will as well. I just cannot complain about Hitch's tenure too much and I am sure in a few years when Yeo's voice goes stale in the locker room I will say the same about him. Unless some miracle trade or free agent signing( Tavares) Yeo is going to face the same problem Hitch had, a team without cup winning talent at center.

AVictoryDive

Jan 7, 2013
Collinsville, IL
Of course there is going to be an improvement with a fresh voice instead of a coach wearing thin on a roster. Hitch coached the team to a crap ton of wins, just like I am sure Yeo will as well. I just cannot complain about Hitch's tenure too much and I am sure in a few years when Yeo's voice goes stale in the locker room I will say the same about him. Unless some miracle trade or free agent signing( Tavares) Yeo is going to face the same problem Hitch had, a team without cup winning talent at center.

I disagree.
Hitch plays a less friendly grinding style that doesn’t play to the skilled players strengths.
That can sour on players.
Yeo does provide structure but allows for a crud load of creativity.
He also has a great cast that actually encourages the players too

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Stars had dreadful Special Teams last year . This year PP has been lethal and PK has been very solid so far. The Rest ? Hmm work in progress i guess. Overall better defensively and struggle a bit with secondary scoring . ( at least they did until tonight )

Defense has been pretty good offensively as well. Even Method every now and then joins in which somwhat looks wierd but still. Not sure why that apparently didn't happen with Hitch while he was with the Blues.

Last edited:

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Overlooked is that the Blues turned over the assistant coaches too. Berube, Sydor and Ott is a pretty young staff. I think the communication style is a lot different, in addition to the neutral zone play, militant gap closure and freedom for the defense to activate. To be honest, I never appreciated how much Hitchcock handcuffed the defense until he was gone.

They do make more ‘bad’,turnovers, like just outside the zone. And they give up more breaks, but not that many. I think the goaltending is better to neutralize most, and the defense can skate well enough that they recover for many others. I’d take that trade off for the ability to play a more aggressive style that is capable of coming back when behind.

Reactions: Dbrownss

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I hope we get some responses from Dallas. I’ve watched a handful of their games, but I didn’t recognize the same ‘old’ system from the Blues. I took it to be a learning phase...but I think there is also some limitation with the defensive personnel available.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
I think as a non fan of both teams what I've noticed in the with Hitchcock's Blues is the short shifts and micro managed ice-time from star players like Tarasenko. Lots of dump and chase and neutral zone clog up.

I hope he's not like that with the Stars. Ruff realised that offence is their bread and butter and contrary to some people's opinion I think you CAN win the cup preaching offence but they've got little defensive help.

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
I hope we get some responses from Dallas. I’ve watched a handful of their games, but I didn’t recognize the same ‘old’ system from the Blues. I took it to be a learning phase...but I think there is also some limitation with the defensive personnel available.

It’s just nice not giving up double digit odd man rushes against per game anymore. The Stars needed defensive structure and Hitch gives it to them. Klingberg has really excelled with Hitch & Methot and I could see him being up in that 65-70 point range this year.

Spezza has been the slowest transition, but he’s also getting stuck with young wingers, so it’s not all his fault.

Overall I’m pretty happy. Had a rough 5 game road trip possession wise, but for the most part, they dominate SAT’s and limit the high danger scoring chances against. It’s such a breath of fresh air to see.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
For the Blues Fans and few Stars Fans on HF have their been a noticeable change?

Was impressed with Blues defensively last playoffs but not with their offense. It seems like they've been scoring a lot of goals this season so is this just sample size or has something changed.

Never been a fan of Hitchcock when he was with the Blues but there's definitely a fit there with the Stars and their defensive woes. Have the Stars improved in that department in these 10 games?

Two of the more star studded and talented teams in the West. Both should make the playoffs.
The return of The Schwartz is having a huge impact on the Blues offence. Also Schenn looks like a great fit. They still need that 1C though. I think those affect their performance more than Yeo. Yeo is a okay coach, but nothing superspecial.

The Stars are in limbo because of Hitch. I think a more creative coach could make them a much better team.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
While not significantly outpacing last year's total point production (the average production for each player was .349ppg in 16-17 compared to .378ppg in 17-18), the big difference is in goal scoring. Blues defensemen combined for 35 goals last year. So far through 15 games, they have a combined 17 goals. If you narrow it to even strength, they scored 17 last year, and are already up to 14 this year. The big question mark will be if teams can adjust and find ways to shut down the Blues' D getting aggressive.

Reactions: stl76

mw2noobbuster

Jun 28, 2016
Alberta, Canada
The return of The Schwartz is having a huge impact on the Blues offence. Also Schenn looks like a great fit. They still need that 1C though. I think those affect their performance more than Yeo. Yeo is a okay coach, but nothing superspecial.

The Stars are in limbo because of Hitch. I think a more creative coach could make them a much better team.
The thing with Yeo is he's allowing the team to do what they needed to do to go over the top, unlocking their potential. Schenn so far is working as the top-line center. If he can stay hot I would put #2RW higher on the priority list. But if not, Turris would be a great addition, if he's only demanding 6.5 then he's also affordable.

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012

Schenn is completely fine as the #1C. Stastny works great as the 2nd line C. If we had Fabbri to round out our top 6, that would be fantastic.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Schenn is completely fine as the #1C. Stastny works great as the 2nd line C. If we had Fabbri to round out our top 6, that would be fantastic.
Nothing against Schenn, but he is obviously not among leagues top 1Cs which are said to be cruical for a contender.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Schenn and Stastny are a good one-two. When you have a gamebreaker in Tarasenko, you're fine.
As a Blues fan I'd be more worried about D and G in the playoffs. Whether a Schenn-Stastny duo can carry the team on a deep run remains to be seen.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Flyers fans were extremely hard on Schenn. I am a little surprised that he hasn't been carried by Schwartz and Tarasenko judging by this thread.

Then again he's show to be dominant with good wingers in the WJC days but that was 7 years ago

As a Blues fan I'd be more worried about D and G in the playoffs. Whether a Schenn-Stastny duo can carry the team on a deep run remains to be seen.

Jake Allen was frustratingly good when I was cheering for the Wild for pool reasons

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad