Confirmed with Link: Mike Yeo Fired; John Torchetti Hired as Interim Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
None better? You joking?

Or are you going to play the - "What they bring to the table" card? Their intangibles?

lol.

When considering Age and what they bring to the table -

At the position of Defenseman in the NHL there are a number of players I would take over Suter.

Weber
Doughty
Subban
Keith
Ekblad
Etc....

Parise is a bit more difficult but -

OV
Jamie Benn
Taylor Hall
Johnny G
Jaden Schwartz

Just my opinion though.

I meant exactly what I said. The best at what they do. And I did play exactly that card. I think I said it pretty clearly.

There's just no better parise in the league. He's a puck hound par excellence with a motor that just doesn't stop and he scores 30 maybe 40 or even more goals a season. You know what he is. Goes to the net, won't quit, wins battles, scores in every way imaginable. He's an awesome hockey player.

Suter eats up 30 minutes without making a mistake. He's the most mistake free dman I think I've ever witnessed. He doesn't get out of position and strips the puck away from the offense with what seems such ease that you kind of get used to it and take it for granted. He skates it up the ice and he makes the right plays. There's no better suter in the league. He's an awesome hockey player.

Both have their flaws as well but so does everyone else. Of course there are players I would take over them but that's not the point. The point was calling them 2nd tier players which to me is just wrong.

It's ok to evaluate players differently and have different preferences but surely it's the total overall package that defines a player's value for every one of us. Everything they bring to the table, right. Hell you can go back and watch the highlights of every goal scored against the Hawks in the last playoffs. I guarantee if you didn't know better you would go that number 2 doesn't belong in this league. He's god awful! Yes, he looked that bad and was to blame for a big chunk of the goals scored on them. He really made some awful mistakes. And not just a couple. But hey, he did win the Conn Smythe to go with the Cup and rightfully so. He was that good overall. And he's also by far the best keith in the league.

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
He did go all in - but how did he win? Signing aging FA's to 13 year $98 million dollar contracts with Full NMC's is a win?

Ok - we now get to experience 2nd round exits. Cool story. At the end of the day we are no better off for it. The only thing that happens is that you give Leopold more of your money to watch a team that is still going to be golfing when it matters most.

That is the MN sports mentality though I suppose. Nobody demands excellence and everyone is ok with just doing your best. Thanks for that 2nd round exit for the 2nd year in a row. You boys did great!

Minnesota wasn't the only team after them. And there were many rumors that Fletch's offer wasn't even the most lucrative one. It was a different world. As I said, we won then, but soon gonna pay the price too. We all knew that also.

roon

Mar 1, 2012
Minnesota
There's just no better parise in the league. He's a puck hound par excellence with a motor that just doesn't stop and he scores 30 maybe 40 or even more goals a season. You know what he is. Goes to the net, won't quit, wins battles, scores in every way imaginable. He's an awesome hockey player.

Zach has scored more than 30 goals 1 time since since coming to MN and that was 33. He has put up more than 60 points 1 time and that was the 33 goal year. If that is what you call a "parise" - there are certainly better ones in the league.

Suter eats up 30 minutes without making a mistake. He's the most mistake free dman I think I've ever witnessed. He doesn't get out of position and strips the puck away from the offense with what seems such ease that you kind of get used to it and take it for granted. He skates it up the ice and he makes the right plays. There's no better suter in the league. He's an awesome hockey player.

Without making a mistake? What color are those glasses you watch hockey through? Suter makes a lot of mistakes, like keeping himself on the Power Play.

Both have their flaws as well but so does everyone else. Of course there are players I would take over them but that's not the point. The point was calling them 2nd tier players which to me is just wrong.

They are 2nd Tier players. It's just reality.

plock

Sonic Reducer
Oct 5, 2013
Mill City
Zach has scored more than 30 goals 1 time since since coming to MN and that was 33. He has put up more than 60 points 1 time and that was the 33 goal year. If that is what you call a "parise" - there are certainly better ones in the league.

That was last year that he scored 33 goals and it was tenth best in the league.So there were nine guys who scored more goals last year,nine.

roon

Mar 1, 2012
Minnesota
That was last year that he scored 33 goals and it was tenth best in the league.So there were nine guys who scored more goals last year,nine.

Actually 10 - as Zachy was tied with Corey Perry.

My point still stands though - Zach is not a guy that will get you 30 - 40 goals a year. He just isn't.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013

My point still stands though - Zach is not a guy that will get you 30 - 40 goals a year. He just isn't.

Patrick Kane has only had two 30 goal seasons. He is only on his second one right now. Parise Has four plus one 45 goal season.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Looking back, we had the top prospect pool (or very close) in the league. If you can couple that with a few high end FAs, you do it. You've theoretically got superb home grown talent, and Parise/Suter throw us over the top. If these guys all developed to what we thought their potential was, you make those signings every time. But because none of them developed into superstars, it sort of changes the window and the whole complexion of building a team.

So really, I think this is all about poor drafting/prospects not living up to potential. If those guys were better, this conversion isn't happening.

plock

Sonic Reducer
Oct 5, 2013
Mill City

Your point is ridiculous,there were only 3 players who scored over 40 goals last year and only 15 who scored over 30,that is the reality of todays NHL.

Also being tied in goals means even not more,so there were still only nine players who had more goals than Parise last year,nine.

Last edited:

kfan22

Jun 20, 2012

:laugh: really?? He has scored 30 plus in 6 seasons. The only seasons he hasnt scored 30 are the following

Rookie year - 18 goals
2010- we can scrap that because he only played 13 games that year
2012- first season with the Wild- scored 18 in 48 games in shortened season which was on pace for 30 goals
2013- scored 29 in 67 games

So good take!! :laugh: His rookie year is basically the only year he didnt produce at 30 goal pace!!

roon

Mar 1, 2012
Minnesota
Patrick Kane has only had two 30 goal seasons. He is only on his second one right now. Parise Has four plus one 45 goal season.

Patrick Kane has also never scored less than 60 points in a full Season as a winger. 9 seasons...never less than 60 points. Hell, he put up 55 points during the lockout season of 48 games.

No comparison between the two - Kane is 4 years younger and already head and shoulders above ZP.

:laugh: really?? He has scored 30 plus in 6 seasons. The only seasons he hasnt scored 30 are the following

Rookie year - 18 goals
2010- we can scrap that because he only played 13 games that year
2012- first season with the Wild- scored 18 in 48 games in shortened season which was on pace for 30 goals
2013- scored 29 in 67 games

So good take!! :laugh: His rookie year is basically the only year he didnt produce at 30 goal pace!!

Saying someone is scoring at X pace is silly. At the end of the year the pace doesn't matter. Lets talk about what they DID, not what they might have done had everything continued exactly as it was going. Using that logic - someone who plays 1 game and scores a goal was scoring at an 82 goal pace...it is just irrelevant.

Since coming to MN ZP has put up more than 30 goals 1 time.

ZP is not a game breaking top talent. He is a good hard worker.....and anyone that tries to make him more than that is just grasping at straw's if you ask me.

roon

Mar 1, 2012
Minnesota
Also - you add on the Adam Oates nonsense that Parise and Suter pulled, they are not leaders either.

Let's undermine our head coach mid season. Sounds like a great idea!

What a joke.

plock

Sonic Reducer
Oct 5, 2013
Mill City
Patrick Kane has also never scored less than 60 points in a full Season as a winger. 9 seasons...never less than 60 points. Hell, he put up 55 points during the lockout season of 48 games.

No comparison between the two - Kane is 4 years younger and already head and shoulders above ZP.

Saying someone is scoring at X pace is silly. At the end of the year the pace doesn't matter. Lets talk about what they DID, not what they might have done had everything continued exactly as it was going. Using that logic - someone who plays 1 game and scores a goal was scoring at an 82 goal pace...it is just irrelevant.

ZP is not a game breaking top talent. He is a good hard worker.....and anyone that tries to make him more than that is just grasping at straw's if you ask me.

In the two full seasons he has played for the Wild he has 33 and 29 goals,in the half season he had 18 goals,sounds like a pretty consistant 30 goal guy to me.

kfan22

Jun 20, 2012

Since coming to MNmore than that is just grasping at straw's if you ask me.

Nobody said he is a game changer did they?? You said he isnt a 30 goal scorer and my last post proved you wrong!!

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
\

I take it you never watched Lidstrom then?

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

It's only silly when you use in the context that you just did. Using 1.2% of the season to extrapolate over the entirety is silly.

Using 58.5%, while not fully conclusive, is a much better indicator. Could Parise have gone goalless over the final 34 games? There's a chance that he could've. But I'd say that the chance is pretty microscopic based on the years of equity that he has in the league.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere

I'm good with that. Reminds of I think Tennabee (Spelling) on KFAN stating 2 years ago he would rather have Parise than Ovechkin.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Isn't the term 'gane breaker' just hyperbole anyway?
Not really.

Game breaker is a guy who scores by pretty much a solo effort. And does so on a regular basis.

For example Gaborik on the early Wild was definitely a "Game Breaker".

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
Looking back, we had the top prospect pool (or very close) in the league. If you can couple that with a few high end FAs, you do it. You've theoretically got superb home grown talent, and Parise/Suter throw us over the top. If these guys all developed to what we thought their potential was, you make those signings every time. But because none of them developed into superstars, it sort of changes the window and the whole complexion of building a team.

So really, I think this is all about poor drafting/prospects not living up to potential. If those guys were better, this conversion isn't happening.

Poor coaching and poor prospect handling. If wild had a more suitable coach three years ago, they would have been a lot better from the start (playing with their strengths) instead learning Yeo-system. Wild don't know how to develop prospects.

plock

Sonic Reducer
Oct 5, 2013
Mill City
Not really.

Game breaker is a guy who scores by pretty much a solo effort. And does so on a regular basis.

For example Gaborik on the early Wild was definitely a "Game Breaker".
I understand the meaning.
In todays NHL the idea that one player is going to carry the team to victory,on a consistant basis, is a bit far fetched.It is a full team effort that is needed now,you need production from all lines.Look at the Capitals,they have one of the biggest 'game breakers' in the league,how well have they done in the postseason?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad