TBN: Mike Weber Masterton Nominee

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
http://sabres.buffalonews.com/2015/03/31/sabres-weber-earns-masterton-trophy-nomination-for-dedication-to-hockey/

Weber earned the nomination in part by being a veteran leader on a young team in need of them. The longest-tenured player in the organization mentors teammates such as Ramsus Ristolainen and Nikita Zadorov. He shows how to be a spokesman during tough times, like when he eloquently represented the Sabres in speaking about the death of former teammate Steve Montador.

“I owe everything I have to this game,†Weber said. “I’m not the most talented, the most skilled, but I knew where I wanted to be. I knew where I wanted to end up, and I’ve worked hard to get here. I try to work hard to stay here.

;)
Flame on

zbubble

Jul 29, 2005
Somewhat surprised it's not Kaleta. Don't they usually nominate someone who just came back from a career threatening injury? With the ACL AND a broken face, I thought he was a shoo-in.

AlsPug

Nov 1, 2011
I love Weber.
Now, on the current roster, hes my favorite Sabres player by miles (by kilometers for my European comrades). Bogo is the closest one on the 2nd. Zemgus, incredibly, is only 3rd/4th together with Risto. :P

DazedandConfused

thanks tips
Jul 30, 2013
Edmonton
Somewhat surprised it's not Kaleta. Don't they usually nominate someone who just came back from a career threatening injury? With the ACL AND a broken face, I thought he was a shoo-in.

Perseverance can be more then coming back from injury, but has Kaleta even really made a comeback..

Weber's gave his all these last 2 years, on and off the ice on the worst team in hockey and he still won't slow down. I wouldn't be surprised if he's the most vocal guy in the room behind closed doors as well. I remember someone brought up his name as a potential captain a little while back and it wouldn't have been the worst idea. He's the only veteran still here through all this **** and acts like he gives a hoot.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Perseverance can be more then coming back from injury, but has Kaleta even really made a comeback..

Weber's gave his all these last 2 years, on and off the ice on the worst team in hockey and he still won't slow down. I wouldn't be surprised if he's the most vocal guy in the room behind closed doors as well. I remember someone brought up his name as a potential captain a little while back and it wouldn't have been the worst idea. He's the only veteran still here through all this **** and acts like he gives a hoot.

Jame, the OP did. Hence the ;) underneath his post.

Ethan Edwards

Oct 30, 2013
PA
I'm not a Weber fan for his on-ice play, though IMO he was much better this year than last. But I certainly don't question his passion and off the ice he's a total class act.

BCS

Feb 18, 2008
1283125.gif

:sarcasm:

boots electric

Mar 12, 2008

Weber's been playing with broken feelings

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
I suspect that this news, coupled with Murray's inclusion of his name when listing the "core" in an interview last month, probably supports the notion that Weber will be back in the top 6 next season....which is fine by me. He's probably the least-talented but there's no denying his heart or will to compete - and behind Gorges, he's the only other over-25 defender to help coach the younger prospects.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
So looking at the list of former winners, there are cancer survivors, blinded, broken back, family tragedy, alcoholism... what did Weber overcome?

Not trying to be morbid or diminish his nomination at all, just curious if there is any backstory to it.

B U F F A L O

Dec 30, 2013
So looking at the list of former winners, there are cancer survivors, blinded, broken back, family tragedy, alcoholism... what did Weber overcome?

Not trying to be morbid or diminish his nomination at all, just curious if there is any backstory to it.

Well. Yeah, usually its often given to those kind of players, but heres the full description

The Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy is an annual award under the trusteeship of the Professional Hockey Writers' Association and is given to the National Hockey League player who best exemplifies the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship, and dedication to hockey.

The winner is selected in a poll of all chapters of the PHWA at the end of the regular season.

Teams make self nominations. Not sure who else from our team would get the nom.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

I agree.....

I also think a big factor is what is being done off the ice in terms of what he has done in the offseason and when there arent games.

CanadaBacon

#SavetheGoons
Mar 15, 2009
Hamilton

Playing in the NHL when he really doesn't have the talent is a pretty big accomplishment.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia

Maybe the local "hockey beat" reporters praising him for speaking out against the fans. I'm no conspiracy theorist but, the local media have been pretty blatant about scolding fans. Frankly, agree or disagree with the tank, they can go duck themselves for it.

I actually like Web but, did he think he would get sympathy from tortured loyal fans? Congrats on making the international media by embarrassing your fans, SFB.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Maybe the local "hockey beat" reporters praising him for speaking out against the fans. I'm no conspiracy theorist but, the local media have been pretty blatant about scolding fans. Frankly, agree or disagree with the tank, they can go duck themselves for it.

I actually like Web but, did he think he would get sympathy from tortured loyal fans? Congrats on making the international media by embarrassing your fans, SFB.

I'm pretty sure the team makes the nomination not the sports writers. They just vote on it after they got the nominees

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

The winners of the award are usually the ones with those dramatic backstories. But all 30 nominees do not have them.

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
Buffalo Sabres @BuffaloSabres · 36m 36 minutes ago

Kaleta says on @SabresHotline that Weber handed him a jersey with an "A" on it & said, "Here you go, Patty, it's yours the rest of the way."

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
That is awesome

Yeah, made me sniffle. Clearly some sort of story here. I had presumed it was a Nolan thing and it obviously couldn't go down without his okay, but it sounds like the idea originated with Weber.

As for those speaking to adversity, skipping the debate of whether it's right to measure what one guy faces versus what another goes thru, I'd throw out that it's possible *we* don't know something. That is, not everyone publishes personal struggles (or starts a crowd funding campaign for it ;)). Perhaps there's more to Weber's nomination than we know.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Yeah, made me sniffle. Clearly some sort of story here. I had presumed it was a Nolan thing and it obviously couldn't go down without his okay, but it sounds like the idea originated with Weber.

As for those speaking to adversity, skipping the debate of whether it's right to measure what one guy faces versus what another goes thru, I'd throw out that it's possible *we* don't know something. That is, not everyone publishes personal struggles (or starts a crowd funding campaign for it ;)). Perhaps there's more to Weber's nomination than we know.

I think its simply they know Patty is done here. Considering Kaleta's backstory as a local and all he's sacrificed physically for the team. This was a nice little goodbye gift at the end of his Sabres career. Thats how I see it anyway.

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
I think its simply they know Patty is done here. Considering Kaleta's backstory as a local and all he's sacrificed physically for the team. This was a nice little goodbye gift at the end of his Sabres career. Thats how I see it anyway.

Yeah, I'm going with you having nailed it. Sad in a way, I like the guy's character and even as a rather noobish team follower it's easy to pick up on what it's all meant to him being here. But not seeing a future for him either. Sucks that way.

In the absence of info to the contrary, I'd like to imagine the parting gift (better than a gold watch too) was Weber's idea. Ergo him making the presentation of it. It's cool if was mgmt's, but I'd guess it sometimes means more when it's a peer recognition.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad