News Article: Mike Ulmer's piece about Life beyond Game 7

TMLifer

Jan 8, 2011
Toronto
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pchfdLTmu3c (If someone can fix the youtube link for me that'd be great!)

The more you win, the more you stand to lose. I think there’s a country song about it.

Let me tell you a story.

The captain was inconsolable.

“I don’t know if we could have played better,” he said. “We played pretty well, defensively. But we let them come back to tie it, then beat us, so I guess maybe we didn’t play our best.”

No, it wasn’t 27-year-old Leaf captain Dion Phaneuf.

It was the Red Wings’ 27-year-old captain Steve Yzerman.

Twenty years ago Nikolai Borschevsky scored in the seventh game as the Leafs upset Detroit.

It was a devastating, soul-destroying loss. Really, really bad.

The Wings were coming off a 103-point season and led the league in goalscoring. A great team was just beginning to take shape. Detroit had a long history of losing. The franchise was surging.

The Wings smoked the Leafs 7-3 in Toronto to set up Game 7 on home ice. They had a one-goal lead with three minutes to play before Doug Gilmour scored to force overtime.

The Leafs , meanwhile, were on their way to their first of two consecutive final four appearances. Gilmour and Dave Andreychuk were 29 and at their peak. Twenty-six year old Wendel Clark scored 10 post-season goals.

The Leafs were just a bit more experienced, a bit more resolute.

And what of the Red Wings?

Well, they would lose in the first round the next season and fall short for two more seasons before winning the Stanley Cup in 1997.

By then Steve Yzerman was 31. Kingpin defenceman Vladimir Konstantinov was 29. Brendan Shanahan was 28. Sergei Fedorov was 27. The club had a stellar cast of supporting players. It was their time.

I think you see where I’m going here.

The Leafs were the youngest team in this post-season.

The Bruins used a size advantage along the boards and in the face-off circle. In Game 6, Boston started play with the puck 20 more times than the Leafs. In Game 7 it was 25.

That the Leafs got so close, that the defeat was so agonizing speaks to how fiercely the Maple Leafs competed and how quickly their key players matured.

Let me put it another way: it is to their credit that they got far enough to absolutely break your heart.

And it’s to your credit that after a decade of waiting, you cared enough to be crestfallen.

One team wins the Stanley Cup. Everyone else fails. For all but one club it’s the trail covered before the bitter fall that counts most. The more disappointing the loss, the greater the distance traveled.

Look at the Bruins who lost four straight games after winning the first three to fall to Philadelphia in 2010. The next season they won the Cup.

The Leafs are, in a profound way, a far different, far more mature team than they were two weeks ago. They are, to be sure, a playoff team but they remain several vital cogs away from elite status.

This isn’t the end. This is how you start to get good.

Not sure if it was posted, but I figured I would share it with all of you who haven't read it yet. It's well said by Ulmer, they put themselves in a position to win when they were down 3-1 in the series and this is the beginning of something good for the future. We gotta hold our heads up high and think about that. We've gotta re-sign a few players and let others go, Nonis should now know what we need to add to make the playoffs again next year and go past round 1.

Last edited:

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Well I kind of figured that quote wasn't from Phaneuf, since you couldn't argue they played good defense with the 4-1 lead.

jughead42*

Thanks for posting that, it's certainly worth reading. We knew that experience was all we were lacking, and we soaked up a ton of it. The next time we're holding a lead, you know every player who suffered through that nightmare will have it in the back of their minds and focus their efforts accordingly.

Sundinforever13

Feb 19, 2012
Optimism is good but it's largely unknown how this team will end up.

Here's a problem with the article....
That same red wings team was inches away from being in the final 4 and taking down the best team in the league at the time (the leafs).
We took a tired bruins team to 7 games and blew a late 4-1 lead.. not a one goal lead.

I think we need to keep this in perspective as well. Sure the team can improve to become a contender, but how much better are they gonna get? Phaneuf is not a sundin, gilmour or a yzerman.... We have one star player and that's Kessel. Aside from that we have a few solid players who have not shown all star potential. It's a bit different than former powerhouse teams who were stacked on every line.

jughead42*

That same red wings team was inches away from being in the final 4 and taking down the best team in the league at the time (the leafs).
We took a tired bruins team to 7 games and blew a late 4-1 lead.. not a one goal lead.

I think we need to keep this in perspective as well. Sure the team can improve to become a contender, but how much better are they gonna get? Phaneuf is not a sundin, gilmour or a yzerman.... We have one star player and that's Kessel. Aside from that we have a few solid players who have not shown all star potential. It's a bit different than former powerhouse teams who were stacked on every line.

No it isn't different. The point of the article is that good teams have crushing defeats and become better because of it. Gretzky talked about how the Islanders taught them how to win when they whipped their ass in the finals. All the good teams learn to win, and that process involves losing. It doesn't matter if those teams were better than the Leafs and stacked as you say, they got better because they learned from those losses. The Leafs, no matter how good or great they may or may not be, will get better as a result of these players learning that harsh lesson. The bile of that night will always be close to their throats whenever they are holding a lead, and it will help them be focused enough to do it when they have that opportunity.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

It was a first round playoff match.

I don't agree with your nitpicks but I agree with your sentiments.

The Red Wings of 1993 had to basically tear themselves up to be the eventual cup winner 4 years later, experiencing even more heartache along the way, losing to expansion San Jose in 1994 in game seven, getting swept in 1995 in the finals, setting an all time record for wins in 1996 just to blow it against Colorado, etc.

It will be interesting, and heartbreaking in all likelihood to follow this team grow in the next few years. Will they be the 90s Wings, the 2012 Kings, or the 2000s Canucks?

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
It was a first round playoff match.

I don't agree with your nitpicks but I agree with your sentiments.

The Red Wings of 1993 had to basically tear themselves up to be the eventual cup winner 4 years later, experiencing even more heartache along the way, losing to expansion San Jose in 1994 in game seven, getting swept in 1995 in the finals, setting an all time record for wins in 1996 just to blow it against Colorado, etc.

It will be interesting, and heartbreaking in all likelihood to follow this team grow in the next few years. Will they be the 90s Wings, the 2012 Kings, or the 2000s Canucks?

may they have the longevity of the Wings but the awesomeness of the Kings. :)

Ace88*

Thank you for posting this. This is basically how i thought of that loss--every team, no matter who, needs to experience this kind of agony to become better. it is the only way to truly grow. Yes the Leafs lost in heartbraking fashion. But do you think they let it happen again? Probably not. Im even willing to say that we notice a big, big difference next season. This team got a taste, and they are young, and now they are hungry. You can just feel that this team can do great things.

I for one am excited. i think in the next few years we look back at that blown lead and say to ourselves it was one of the best things that couldve happened.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Thank you for posting this. This is basically how i thought of that loss--every team, no matter who, needs to experience this kind of agony to become better. it is the only way to truly grow. Yes the Leafs lost in heartbraking fashion. But do you think they let it happen again? Probably not. Im even willing to say that we notice a big, big difference next season. This team got a taste, and they are young, and now they are hungry. You can just feel that this team can do great things.

I for one am excited. i think in the next few years we look back at that blown lead and say to ourselves it was one of the best things that couldve happened.

Very true.
and I think it says a lot that they didn't roll over and die in Game 5. (Like Montreal. Quote my co-worker who is a Montreal fan, don't kill the messenger). We didn't get swept. Even that very stinky game one, if you look at the breakdown, it really wasn't as ugly as the final score made it out to be.

we were in it.
and I can honestly say now, thinking back on it, I agree with Randy. I think the team simply ran out of gas, and hoped for the best. (which, cruddily, didn't happen). You can play the "i wonder" game (ie: i wonder if the game was played tuesday - not Monday, would the team have been rested enough - we have s.u.c.k.e.d. at back to backs all season). we can play the what if game - but it is what it is. We turtled: which - is not a bad thing, we need to learn how to do it effectively, everyone does it at some point, but we didn't have the health/personnel to simply hang on.

and this will make the leafs that much more determinded in the long run.
and I think we got all the firsts out of the way:
We've got playoff experience
we've got facing elimination experience
we've got game seven experience.

check, check, check.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad