News Article: Mike Stelter Battle With Cancer

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Yeah I don't even know what to say

Go Fund Me

Hi, my name is Danielle Ribich, and I created this page to help raise money for my sister, Lea, and her family as Mike was recently diagnosed with cancer. This family has been through so much after losing Ben and now with Mike being diagnosed with cancer not even a year later. They have never asked for anything or set up a GoFundMe while Ben battled but they need your help now.

After months of back pain an MRI revealed a tumour on Mike’s spine. A biopsy was done and after weeks of testing they still don’t know the exact type of tumor it is but said it’s rare and requires Proton Therapy for treatment. Canada is the only major Country in the world that doesn’t have this treatment available. Mike and Lea are going to have to travel to Pennsylvania for a consultation and testing, and then 7 weeks of treatment. So far, they’ve been told that only Mike’s flight to Pennsylvania and the treatment itself will be covered by Alberta Health. There still may be added expenses for testing, scans, and medication while in the United States.

For 7 weeks they will essentially be paying for 2 households while neither of them will be able to work. There will be a lot of expenses while they are away such as accommodations, flights, transportation, parking, meals, and medication along with their regular expenses at home. We are hoping that there aren’t any surprise costs with the treatment while they’re down there.

They are just waiting on dates right now, but they will likely be making their first trip for tests and the consultation within the next week.

Please help this family to take the stress of finances away so they can just focus on getting Mike better and getting back to normal life.

Even if you’re not able to donate, please share this Go Fund Me to help Mike and Lea.

Thank you so much for the support.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I never understood why certain families get hit so hard with disease. This world feels like Russian Roulette sometimes with legit pieces of shit thriving and nice people suffering.

My favourite aunt and her son, my cousin both died of the exact same cancer with days of each other. Sadly he went first, a mother should never lose a child first no matter the circumstances. His brother (my favourite cousin) now has terminal cancer and his daughter beat cancer as a teenager. Like why them?

Hopefully the Stelters can get past this one.

Cancer sucks. f*** it all the way to hell.

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
I never understood why certain families get hit so hard with disease. This world feels like Russian Roulette sometimes with legit pieces of shit thriving and nice people suffering.

Genetics

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007

Not in this case, but in general you cant rule out environmental factors when theres high concentrations of disease in localized areas... never know when youre living on top of an interstellar meteor irradiating the neighbourhood or a former korean war era chemical spill or something.

Anyway I guess I shouldnt make silly comments without saying this definitely is suck news, Im sure everyone in oil country would be rooting for the Stelters to have an easier go of things for the next few years and this is not that.

Reactions: bellagiobob

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
It's called genetics, and unfortunately, it really is a game of Russian Roulette. Which is why genetic testing is so important. Things like testing for potential breast cancer for women has been a huge step. All the same, very sad for this very decent family that they've drawn yet another short straw, and prayers and positive energy go out to them. Maybe Billy Joel was right. "Only the good die young."

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Back pain is how my dad found out he had cancer two years ago. Was so bad and advanced that he actually had separated vertebrae. After being sent home twice from the ER in pain and told to take advil and sleep it off twice they demanded X-rays. He passed less than two weeks later.

F Cancer, and my prayers are with the Stelter family that it isn’t too advanced and the treatment works.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Good thoughts to the Stelter family. Cancer is a motherf***er.

Within a year cancer took my Mom, my brother and one of my best friends. My brother was 52 and buddy 48, very rare bile duct cancer and pancreatic cancer. Mom, a never smoker, lung cancer. Poof. Gone.

Guys will often ignore symptoms and avoid doctors. The consequences can be enormous. We all have cautionary tales and opportunity to be pro-active because cancer thrives when given complacency. Wishing all good health here and to many shared personal reminders that life is fleeting.

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops

I tend to think with things like this that it could be something environmental or food or who knows, mixed with unfortunate genetics.

I mean ( and this is age dependant ) how often to do you hear about a thing that you played with or messed with that turned out to be pretty bad for you, and those are just the things we learn about after the fact.

Reactions: McDrai

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Life is a coin flip and some people just get a lot worse luck than others. It really sucks. That's why it's the cliché phrase, "be grateful for what you have" type of thing.
Cancer does poorly with Alkaline body chemistry. Eat lots of veggies.
I know inflammation is another big one as well. The more you have, the more you can be prone to different problems, diseases and making current conditions worse.

Reactions: bellagiobob

Victor000

Dec 23, 2022
Back pain is how my dad found out he had cancer two years ago. Was so bad and advanced that he actually had separated vertebrae. After being sent home twice from the ER in pain and told to take advil and sleep it off twice they demanded X-rays. He passed less than two weeks later.

F Cancer, and my prayers are with the Stelter family that it isn’t too advanced and the treatment works.
I feel like there's a Russian roulette when it comes to doctor's too. The family doctor I had as a kid could decide on the proper course of action within a minute of examining you, and afaik never made a mistake. Seriously, he was that good, although he had a very gruff demeanor (a tradeoff I think anyone would gladly accept). Every doctor I've had since then feels like their guessing a lot more than diagnosing, and sometimes I've had to insist on tests being done when the doctor didn't think it was necessary like your family did with your dad.

Sorry to hear about your dad and of course the Stelter's as well. It's crazy that he happened to get a form of the disease that isn't even covered by Healthcare.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Good thoughts to the Stelter family. Cancer is a motherf***er.

Within a year cancer took my Mom, my brother and one of my best friends. My brother was 52 and buddy 48, very rare bile duct cancer and pancreatic cancer. Mom, a never smoker, lung cancer. Poof. Gone.

Guys will often ignore symptoms and avoid doctors. The consequences can be enormous. We all have cautionary tales and opportunity to be pro-active because cancer thrives when given complacency. Wishing all good health here and to many shared personal reminders that life is fleeting.

Bile duct cancer is basically an immediate death sentence. What's worse, it savages the body in indescribable ways. I'll never forgot how my old man suffered and the brutal meaninglessness of that suffering.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad