Rumor: Mike Smith Trade Rumor from Kypreos

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I'm hesitant to trust rumors about the Coyotes from all but a tiny few sources. Local media is worthless beyond reminding you about the press release the team issued publicly a few hours earlier. For national media, the Coyotes tend to be an afterthought, and "The Coyotes are likely to..." is far more likely to introduce the reporters idle musings than anything substantive.

I'm all for moving on from Smith if they can pick up a worthwhile asset for him. I don't see Domingue being an above average starter in the league, but there's probably no harm in handing him the reigns for a year and seeing what happens, maybe platooning him with someone like Niemi or Mason. I don't see value in just dumping Smith, and the goalie market tends to be buyer-friendly, but if the Coyotes can send him to a playoff team and get something like a 2nd and a decent young player (i.e. slightly better than what the Kings gave up for Bishop, who had just a few months left on his deal versus the two years remaining on Smith's contract), I think that would benefit all parties involved.

As for the draft, "a move-down scenario" would be dropping from 7th to 16th, not moving up from 23rd to 16th. That's a deal that doesn't happen until you're on the clock, but if the top six picks are some permutation of Patrick, Hischier, Heiskanen, Vilardi, Glass and Mittelstadt, I'm all for trading down. Moving down from 7th to 16th should command a pretty good return. The Flames (currently picking 16th) don't have a 2nd or a 3rd this year, so I'd guess the Flames would need to give up something like next year's 2nd and a prospect like Adam Fox or Dillon Dubé.

It's Calgary moving down, not the Coyotes.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
I'm completely baffeled by the "move down" paragraph. What are you saying? We have to drop from 7th to 16th? What?

Brain lapse where I read Treliving talking about moving down to 16th as an indication the Coyotes would be moving down to 16th (in the moment, I forgot Treliving is with the Flames these days, which is probably way worse than getting the up/down stuff mixed up). Mosby then suggested the Coyotes trade 23rd and Smith for the 16th, which from the Coyotes perspective would be moving up, not down. I now realize that a 23rd+Smith for the 16th would be the Flames moving down, which is what Treliving was talking about.

The rest of what I said still holds, though: trading down could make a lot of sense, once we see who is available at 7, and if the Coyotes move down more than a few slots from there, they should be able to garner a pretty nifty return.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I'm fine with trading down to say 11 or 12. Don't want to go much farther than that unless we're getting NHL talent back.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Brain lapse where I read Treliving talking about moving down to 16th as an indication the Coyotes would be moving down to 16th (in the moment, I forgot Treliving is with the Flames these days, which is probably way worse than getting the up/down stuff mixed up). Mosby then suggested the Coyotes trade 23rd and Smith for the 16th, which from the Coyotes perspective would be moving up, not down. I now realize that a 23rd+Smith for the 16th would be the Flames moving down, which is what Treliving was talking about.

The rest of what I said still holds, though: trading down could make a lot of sense, once we see who is available at 7, and if the Coyotes move down more than a few slots from there, they should be able to garner a pretty nifty return.

Gotcha. Let's trade up and down. Haha. :)

Smith+23 for Bouma+16 and then 7 for 10+40

10+16+35+40+69+78 is a very nice first six picks.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I have absolutely no real insight into this, but based on my gut (which is worthless), I want to switch Smith for a younger, cheaper, calmer goalie for a variety of reasons:

1. I think Smith is bad for the room, and I think he's part of this lengthy losing culture over the last half-decade that I'm eager to move away from.
2. As a fan, I dislike him. His temper tantrums, his proclivity for bad penalties, and his whining are off-putting. The team is easier to cheer for without him.
3. He's Dave Tippett's bestie. We have ALWAYS had WAY too many conflict of interest, fraternization kinds of relationships in this organization. Cut the country club crap.
4. I don't like spending a bunch of money on goalies. We're a poor team. I want to use that money on scoring.
5. He's old, and the team is trying to get younger.

Give me a quieter, cheaper, younger replacement and I'm very happy.

In defense of Smith; he's a passionate guy and that's a great thing on a contending team. His fire is admirable in the heat of battle in important games.
It's also just a really, really, really bad fit on a rebuilding team. He's cant modify his expectations at all and a he can douse the fire at all either. It's bad for him and bad for the team.
We should have moved on from him a year or two ago. It's better for him to go to a place where the playoffs are a real base-level expectation. And it's better for us not to suffer through him being dissatisfied here.

My feelings about Smith are pretty much a net positive at this point. We won two playoff rounds, and I'm grateful. That good will is just about spent. Time to move on.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I have absolutely no real insight into this, but based on my gut (which is worthless), I want to switch Smith for a younger, cheaper, calmer goalie for a variety of reasons:

I agree, but maybe not this year. I would want his young replacement to have a year in the AHL first. If you meant a young but established goalie, sure. Can you get one for October?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $5,220.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $25.00