Mike Smith appreciation/depreciation thread

RufusG

May 23, 2017
I don't think whoever we have in goal the next year or two is a big deal in the grand scheme of things, so I'm not excited one way or the other. Best of luck to Smitty, get the Flames into the playoffs so we get that 2nd.

Last edited:

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I may be one of the few Smith fans left, but I still really liked him. I'm still glad we moved him because of his contract though. I wish him luck in Calgary, hopefully he keeps playing the puck aggressively and punching forwards who run him haha.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Smith had great moments and not so great moments. He was the biggest reason for the Cinderella run. His act wore a little thin over the years, but mostly I just didn't want to tie up $6M on an inconsistent goalie when we're cash poor. Coupled that with the locker room which I just want to purge.
Good luck to him in Calgary. I don't have any hard feelings. It's just business.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Dear Pizza Goalie,

Your Grease in the Crease, as the Fella with the Mozzarella, was never dull while you were a Coyote. I will miss the fantastic flashy saves, which you made with high drama. I won't be so misty-eyed about your dives, which were made with equally high drama. You take with you the memory of the Red Wings goal and Butt Goals 1 & 2 in equal measure. Your legendary puck-handling skills marked you when you used them to get the puck out of the zone to your teammates like an extra defenseman, but even more so when they resulted in stupid-ass turnovers that left the net open for easy opposing goals. Sayonara, too, to your ailing body parts that sabotaged many of your seasons, and also to the perfectly healthy body parts that sabotaged most of the others.

I will never forget 2011-2012, when you backstopped us to an amazing season that came to a grinding halt in the Conference Finals, like a bowling ball falling off of the roof of a furniture store. Your fiery stares at your own defensemen, your carping at the refs after they did not respect your twitching, agonized body flopping all over the crease when you had been lightly nudged, and your exasperation with your teammates after someone sniped you high glove, or low glove, or five hole, or basically anywhere around the net that you left open by going down in the butterfly too soon, or stretching out to make some amazing save and forgetting that rebounds exist.

The reporters who phone in their duties as "journalists" around this team will miss your candor and lanky goofiness that may or may not be intentional. Todd Walsh particularly will miss opportunities to wax rhapsodic about your strength and fire during the one season where it almost mattered. We'll miss seeing your kids at Diamondbacks games because it's impossible to miss them with that Funky Flow that you have forced upon their heads.

I'm sure you'll miss Arizona a bit, because of the weather and the upscale shopping and all the cool stuff you can do in the Corridor of the Mightily Blessed out there in Scottsdale. But I believe you when you say that you're thrilled to be playing for a Canadian team, because you have the same erroneous idea in your noggin that, because the fans up there have less to do and more single-mindedness than we do, playing hockey there will be oh so much more fulfilling. You'll get comfy quick because there are so many familiar faces there who are ex-Coyotes. Also, Calgary has threatened to relocate if they don't get a subsidized arena, so you should have no problem feeling right at home.

I just hope you're not too upset when you realize that you'll be playing home games in a city that can get as cold as a meat locker, and then discovering that when you make one of your sadly not-so-rare brain farts on the ice, the boos and vitriol will be much louder.

I dip my cheesy slice (pepperoni, sausage, extra olives) to you, sir, and wish you all the best as you Flame On.

- Feckless

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
The theatrics aka diving drove me crazy. There is no place for **** like that in hockey. Hopefully OEL cuts it out and we will be rid of that cancer. He was a me first guy. A young team like this doesn't need players like that. I totally believe he was a bad influence and needed to go. That coming from someone that thought his contract, while being huge for a small budget team, was the right thing to do at the time.

PerpetualTankYear

Doan 3:16
Mar 27, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Dear Pizza Goalie,

Your Grease in the Crease, as the Fella with the Mozzarella, was never dull while you were a Coyote. I will miss the fantastic flashy saves, which you made with high drama. I won't be so misty-eyed about your dives, which were made with equally high drama. You take with you the memory of the Red Wings goal and Butt Goals 1 & 2 in equal measure. Your legendary puck-handling skills marked you when you used them to get the puck out of the zone to your teammates like an extra defenseman, but even more so when they resulted in stupid-ass turnovers that left the net open for easy opposing goals. Sayonara, too, to your ailing body parts that sabotaged many of your seasons, and also to the perfectly healthy body parts that sabotaged most of the others.

I will never forget 2011-2012, when you backstopped us to an amazing season that came to a grinding halt in the Conference Finals, like a bowling ball falling off of the roof of a furniture store. Your fiery stares at your own defensemen, your carping at the refs after they did not respect your twitching, agonized body flopping all over the crease when you had been lightly nudged, and your exasperation with your teammates after someone sniped you high glove, or low glove, or five hole, or basically anywhere around the net that you left open by going down in the butterfly too soon, or stretching out to make some amazing save and forgetting that rebounds exist.

The reporters who phone in their duties as "journalists" around this team will miss your candor and lanky goofiness that may or may not be intentional. Todd Walsh particularly will miss opportunities to wax rhapsodic about your strength and fire during the one season where it almost mattered. We'll miss seeing your kids at Diamondbacks games because it's impossible to miss them with that Funky Flow that you have forced upon their heads.

I'm sure you'll miss Arizona a bit, because of the weather and the upscale shopping and all the cool stuff you can do in the Corridor of the Mightily Blessed out there in Scottsdale. But I believe you when you say that you're thrilled to be playing for a Canadian team, because you have the same erroneous idea in your noggin that, because the fans up there have less to do and more single-mindedness than we do, playing hockey there will be oh so much more fulfilling. You'll get comfy quick because there are so many familiar faces there who are ex-Coyotes. Also, Calgary has threatened to relocate if they don't get a subsidized arena, so you should have no problem feeling right at home.

I just hope you're not too upset when you realize that you'll be playing home games in a city that can get as cold as a meat locker, and then discovering that when you make one of your sadly not-so-rare brain farts on the ice, the boos and vitriol will be much louder.

I dip my cheesy slice (pepperoni, sausage, extra olives) to you, sir, and wish you all the best as you Flame On.

- Feckless

This about wraps it up.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I got to see your goal against the Dead Wings. Meant the world to me. Best of luck with the Flames.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
For all the frustrating inconsistency since 2013, as a long suffering Coyotes fan for 2/3rds of my life nothing has topped seeing Mike Smith coming out of nowhere and standing on his head to drag the Coyotes kicking and screaming into their first Western Conference Finals appearance.

Best wishes in Calgary, Smitty.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Dear Pizza Goalie,

- Feckless

You have won the internet today.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
Will be missed. Only Coyote starter I've ever known. Absolute stud when he was on his game, made you want to pull your hair out when he wasn't. First time I see "pizza goalie" in this forum was late 2013, which makes me wonder if we didn't somehow contribute to the greasiness. #hockeyMystery I await Starter Louie's first greasy goal, when we'll all stop and look quietly, longingly toward Southern Alberta. Thanks for all the half-priced Papa Johns. For real, I ate a microwaved slice of cheese and a couple peanut butter apples for lunch more times than I'd like to admit I occasionally indulged. But mostly thanks for stopping most of the pucks and for how much the rest of hfboards hates you. Oh, good heavens, the rest of hfboards hates you. From the flops and chirping to the stopping pucks and beating them ... you were always the troll-y-est of Coyotes trolls. Even that goofy grin of yours looks like the troll meme sorta.

And thanks for doing the things the rest of us just dream about.

In no particular order:

f37d3d9415a1adbc8fb0b75762fc4122.jpg

e468a6f5971a590976e610815a322a8b.jpg

42828e16ecc7113e25439fb577335a76.jpg

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Given the situation, it's probably best for him to move on at this point. I don't hate Smitty, he gave us Coyotes fans the best season in franchise history, no way I can forget that! I also can't forget the diva attitude and the diving...oh that ****ing diving. I wish you luck in Calgary Smitty and thanks for your time as a Yote. You're like that real fun ex that you will kind of miss but you know in your heart of hearts is not right for you!

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Oh man I had forgotten about the slash on Brown. You'll be missed Smitty, if only by me haha.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Dear Pizza Goalie,

- Feckless

Rest in Pepperoni.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad