Mike Richter memories: Retired 10 years ago today

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO

Not to derail the thread...and not to beat a dead horse...but here again is video proof that Eddie Giacomin had 266 career wins with the Rangers, as Richter was celebrated for passing him with his 267th.

But this past season, Lundqvist was celebrated for tying Eddie with 267, and passing him with 268. After a little research, it seems like Elias Sports Bureau got it wrong and gave Eddie an extra win (if you sum up him wins totals from hockey-db or hockey-reference, you'll see again that it adds to 266). I tried to let Elias know of their mistake, to no avail. Anyone know how to get in touch with them?

Back on topic with Mike...one of the greatest Rangers of all time, for what he did on and off the ice. He represented this team and the city tremendously well, and was a great role model for kids like me who grew up idolizing him.

Walk With Lias

Sep 18, 2007
Last year before the Islander game where J.T Miller scored his first two goals me and my buddy ran into him in the West Balcony. He was sitting on a barstool talking with his brother. Waited around for him to finish and went up and asked him for a picture. Could barely get the words out of my mouth. He was my all time favorite player growing up.

Unpredictable1

Jan 27, 2008
Alberta
Without a doubt my childhood hero. When I saved up enough money to get my own set of goalie equipment, despite my school colors being like Boston's, I bought red white n blue. (Ferland Victory line actually)

First hockey jersey I ever owned was a Blue Rangers Richter jersey. Still my number when I play goal.

Such a great ambassador for the sport of hockey, both on and off the ice.

One of the best of the big game goalies of his era. Lighting fast reflexes, crazy acrobatics. I'll never forget his World Cup performance. Astounding.

It was a sad, sad day for me when he retired.

Mr Atoz*

? you're ******** me right? :laugh:

Earthquake means "Erdbeben". The Richter-scale is not called "richter-scale" because Richter means Earthquake, but because of the inventor's name is Charles Francis Richter.

Yes, I'm ******* with you. I minored in physics.

FultonReed

derailer of threads
Jul 28, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
my first ever hockey game, he was on the bench. i was about 10 or so rows back from center ice, so i made my way down to the bench and knocked on the glass. he turned around and waved at me, winked and gave me the peace sign. probably one of the greatest moments of my life. i was completely hooked on the game after that.

Dec 13, 2010
Spent my childhood idolizing Richter and playing in goal when I was very young. Eventually moved out of the net and became a forward later on, but I always felt connected to the way Richter played. I always felt that Richter was criminally underrated because of some of the other goaltenders who played in that era and were world class.

When I was in high school I was working at a mall where Richter was doing a signing, but couldn't make it over because I only had a 15 minute break and the line was absurd. When I got out of work (this was a good hour+ after the signing ended) and was leaving the mall out of the corner of my eye I saw Richter and 2 other guys standing by some doors. Ran over and made some small talk...I've met my fair share of celebrities and he was the first one that I was ever starstruck around. I'm pretty sure the first words out of my mouth were "Hey...you're Mike Richter. I ****ing love you" and he laughed pretty hard at that. One of the most down to earth guys I've encountered, he was actually asking ME questions. Invited me to walk with him and his friends to his car with him and asked if I wanted anything signed. I'm not into autographs so I declined, but thanked him for letting me be an idiot for 15 minutes. Still one of the coolest memories

KingWantsCup

#FightLikeHell
Jul 3, 2009
New Jersey
When I was a COMPLETE Rangers fan noob (we're talking a week from my first game. I was 16) I went to a sports store looking at Rangers gear and an associate came up to me informing me that Richter was going to be in for an autograph signing later on that week. I was like "oh okay cool" but in my head I was like "who?"

:cry: that would have been the closest autograph signing for a major Rangers player ever for me. So much shame. All the shame.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004

'94 NHL All-Star Game intros at MSG. Richter at 7:41. Beezer right before him. Some other great faces. Messier (with hair!) at 12:11. 25-year-old Brian Leetch at 13:55. Roy, Bourque, Jagr, Sakic, Gretzky, Lemieux. Hall-of-famer after hall-of-famer. The early-90s was the golden age of the NHL.

Unpredictable1

Jan 27, 2008
Alberta
So many fellas on here that played the pipes that were influenced and idolized Richter. I'd imagine my Richter jersey would be tight on me now with no equipment! LOL

I still wear my Cooper SK5000 helmet with the cats-eye mask.

Man this thread is bringing back memories!!!

Found some clips with quite a bit of Richter in it, and several other Rangers. Watching Leetch could really bring a tear to your eye, man was he special....

If anyone knows how incredibly hard this is:

Richter's face at the end LOL:

Ranger35

Proud of NYR
Sep 2, 2006
NV
www.hockeyarena.net
As might be picked on from my handle, I've always been a big Mike Richter fan, and still hold his 96 World Cup performance as one of the most godly goalie performances I've ever seen.

Being there for his retirement night is probably the most I ever paid to be at a hockey game, and I don't regret it. He was an incredible athlete, and still is a great human being.

Loved his story about having to beg for food first night in NYC when he got called up to play in the playoffs against the Penguins.

That 5-3 performance vs the Wild is pretty sick too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad