Mike Richards -To Claim or Not to Claim

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
This is a great opportunity, imo. I don't even care about the contract. The Jackets have enough cap space to take this gamble.

1 bad season in LA doesn't make Mike Richards a bad player. And besides, with LA's depth, he's not getting much ice time. He hasn't had the chance to produce.

The Jackets' Forward depth is nonexistent. We literally have one scoring line. Mike Richards has the potential to help that out.

The responses in this thread have been shocking. I expected to see "YES! Claim him now!"
Different people have different viewpoints I suppose...

You are quite literally out of your mind.

Here are the things wrong with Richards:

-His ability is diminished and he hasn't been an impact player for nearly 2 full seasons now.
-His last 'great' season was 2008-09. He's more or less a 40 point player now, and that's being generous

-He's a center, and not a particularly effective W. Current centers under contract past this season: Dubinsky, Johansen, Anisimov, Jenner, Chaput, Wennberg - I'm leaving out a few others that are less than NHL ready. I include Chaput because I believe he will be better than the current version of Richards within a season or two if Letestu is not resigned.

-He costs 5.75 against the cap for another 5 seasons, at the end of which he is 33/34 years old

-In real money he will cost 22(!) million dollars plus the balance of this season.

There is nothing to like at this point about Richards on this team on hockey terms or, particularly, financially.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Maybe if there was 3 years less on his contract. Nope, dude isn't good anymore.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
This is a great opportunity, imo. I don't even care about the contract. The Jackets have enough cap space to take this gamble.

1 bad season in LA doesn't make Mike Richards a bad player. And besides, with LA's depth, he's not getting much ice time. He hasn't had the chance to produce.

The Jackets' Forward depth is nonexistent. We literally have one scoring line. Mike Richards has the potential to help that out.

The responses in this thread have been shocking. I expected to see "YES! Claim him now!"
Different people have different viewpoints I suppose...
One exceptionally bad season preceded by two increasingly mediocre seasons, with five more years to go.

Again - if folks thought the Umberger decline was bad, well, that's got nothing on this.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
It would only be fitting if he cleared waivers and then we traded them several pieces which contributed to another Stanley Cup win.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
ox5pym.jpg

But in all seriousness ... if they might be willing to retain a big chunk of his contract for all of his remaining years, someone may bite. I don't think he's the right fit (anywhere near it) for the Jackets ... but for a team like Florida or Edmonton, if LA wants to keep, say, $2 million per year ... then I might get it.

He was a great player in the right circumstance. Under Darryl Sutter, I think he's become useless.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I'm thinking he clears and gets bought out, only to get another contract with a different team.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Flyers Mike Richards - maybe. kings Mike Richards - no......looks to me like he is the King's Mike Richards.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I'm not sure he's done. He's certainly not a good fit with the Kings. His 12/13 season was actually great; he only played 48 games.

I wouldn't mind considering it if the Kings kept some of his salary; say 30% or so, in a trade. Especially considering is salary drop to 3 million in a couple of seasons. Having said that, I'm not sure where he would fit on this roster. With that consideration it's almost an impossibility we'd consider it.

It's a shame his career has come to this.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
Hard to believe when I think back to Richards in the 2010 Olympics - he was a beast on that line with Nash and Toews.

But, 5 years later, I have this answer the OP's question: NO

Inglewood JACKets

Jan 11, 2011
Columbus, OH
I think the question becomes if he was a free agent what kind of contract would he get? I think he would still get something in the high 3's to mid 4's, and I'm probably underestimating how much most GMs like to overpay.

Like most have sayed the term is the worst part. It's just so hard for me to see how so many players can fall from grace so quickly. I feel he still has to have it in him somewhere. Whether or not he finds it again is another story.

My first reaction was "Hell yeah", but the more I think about it we haven't had to much luck with these reclamation projects.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
The Kings will be lucky to get somebody to take him with the maximum 50% salary retention. They'll probably have to throw in some other assets and/or take a bad contract in return. And that might not even get it done.

The buyout numbers on this contract are brutal. The Kings GM knows he should have used an amnesty buyout on Richards.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
You are quite literally out of your mind.

Here are the things wrong with Richards:

-His ability is diminished and he hasn't been an impact player for nearly 2 full seasons now.
-His last 'great' season was 2008-09. He's more or less a 40 point player now, and that's being generous

-He's a center, and not a particularly effective W. Current centers under contract past this season: Dubinsky, Johansen, Anisimov, Jenner, Chaput, Wennberg - I'm leaving out a few others that are less than NHL ready. I include Chaput because I believe he will be better than the current version of Richards within a season or two if Letestu is not resigned.

-He costs 5.75 against the cap for another 5 seasons, at the end of which he is 33/34 years old

-In real money he will cost 22(!) million dollars plus the balance of this season.

There is nothing to like at this point about Richards on this team on hockey terms or, particularly, financially.

I'm proud of you; this looks like one of my posts, only about 25% the normal length.;)

Although you make good points, I don't agree with the conclusion. Every player who goes to Los Angeles enters an offensive black hole. Their rankings by goals scored since Darryl Sutter took over:
2014-15 - 17th (so far)
2013-14 - 25th
2012-13 - 9th (48-game season)
2011-12 - 29th

That Richards' offensive numbers have plummeted isn't really a shock; it's happened to pretty much everyone who's suited up the last four years. In addition, the depth that he's buried behind limits his ice time and situational use. He was averaged 19-20 minutes a night in Philly, but hasn't topped 17 minutes the last three seasons. This year he's down to 13:42.

Now, could the declining ice time be due to his play? Sure. It's also possible that it's being directed from above to give more time to guys like Pearson and Toffoli, even if it causes Richards' time to drop.

I think getting Richards as a reclamation project does make sense under the right circumstances. If a bad contract can be moved, if Los Angeles retains 50%, if everyone recognizes that the right move was not to pick him up back in 2011 at whatever the astronomical price would have been, if he's brought in with the understanding that he's an asset that is being acquired for the purpose of being moved as soon as the right value comes along.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I'm proud of you; this looks like one of my posts, only about 25% the normal length.;)

Although you make good points, I don't agree with the conclusion. Every player who goes to Los Angeles enters an offensive black hole. Their rankings by goals scored since Darryl Sutter took over:
2014-15 - 17th (so far)
2013-14 - 25th
2011-12 - 29th

Unless he gets pp time, in Columbus he would be entering another

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
2014-15 - 17th (so far)
2013-14 - 25th
2011-12 - 29th

That Richards' offensive numbers have plummeted isn't really a shock; it's happened to pretty much everyone who's suited up the last four years. In addition, the depth that he's buried behind limits his ice time and situational use. He was averaged 19-20 minutes a night in Philly, but hasn't topped 17 minutes the last three seasons. This year he's down to 13:42.

I think getting Richards as a reclamation project does make sense under the right circumstances. If a bad contract can be moved, if Los Angeles retains 50%, if everyone recognizes that the right move was not to pick him up back in 2011 at whatever the astronomical price would have been, if he's brought in with the understanding that he's an asset that is being acquired for the purpose of being moved as soon as the right value comes along.

The Kings are hardly at the depths of offensive production. They have averaged 17th in scoring in the NHL (using your numbers) over the past 3 years. Gaborik, Carter, and Kopitar have posted decent numbers under Sutter.

There seems to be a strong consensus among LA Kings posters that Richards has been on the decline over the past several seasons and that his diminished ice time has been a function of his deteriorating play. Until this season, Richards ranked 4th, 6th and 3rd in TOI among Kings forwards.

Richards ranks 8th among Kings forwards in points per 60 minutes 5 vs. 5 this season at a weak 1.37. Over the previous 3 seasons he ranked 7th, 6th, and 5th among Kings forwards (1.41, 1.58, 1.55) in this category. His production, in relative terms, has been poor at even strength, for a player of his salary.

Richards has 5 years remaining on his contract AFTER this season at a 5.75m cap hit. Even if the Kings were to take 50% of his salary, he'd still be a $3m hit and where would he fit on the CBJ? He's, from what I've read, not suited to playing wing. He's not going to slot above Johansen nor Dubi. Jenner could be shifted to wing, but Wennberg, Milano and others are centers in the system.

Rapidly deteriorating play, horrid contract (even with retention), no room at center position, and major concussion issues. Throw in a reputation for his night life activities and what's not to like?

thebus2288*

The Jackets' Forward depth is nonexistent. We literally have one scoring line. Mike Richards has the potential to help that out..

I had a not so nice post ready to go last night but I held off. This gets the main points across for me. Besides the fact that they have a certain "score by committee" approach in LA he for whatever reason seems to not be IN the committee THIS YEAR. I'm sure his on ice play is part of this reason, but there's obviously way more to this type of stuff. It could be as "simple" as him just falling out of favor with Sutter. Or as simple as them wanting to "wennberg" the younger guys. Or it could be he just needs a change. Maybe he's just had enough of living in LA. Somebody brought up his current not so tight relationship with Carter. Maybe that's a huge part of it. I'll be honest in saying I haven't been following LA and Richards much lately but to me there's no way Mike Richards does not make the CBJ a better hockey team by a quite considerable amount. The amount and length of his contract IS the negative. Not his play.

The only thing the forward lines need is a guy like Jake Vorachek. Mike Richards isn't that.

And how do you expect to get a "guy" like Voracek? Atkinson, Golobeuf and a 2nd isn't gonna get it done. Like the Hartnell trade, this is an opportunity to get a PROVEN (aging, "overpaid") player with legit value for as cheap as you possibly ever could. Bottom line is the team would be better with Richards. We've still got multiple guys that should not be in Columbus at the moment.

There's plenty to like at this point. The "type" of hockey player that Richards is now, is the same as it was 3-4 years ago. There's many different possibilities on why his "execution" on the ice has diminished. There's also many different possibilities of factors that could "spark" his game again. In Columbus, many of those factors are present. I mean just last year his 41pts was 4th best in LA, and would've been 4th best here.

I get the concerns about the CAP hit and length still left on the contract but as a fellow "long time" CBJ fan this "real money" **** is probably my biggest issue with a good number of you guys. This is a NHL franchise. The ownership group or whatever you wanna call it is worth HUNDREDS of MILLIONS of DOLLARS. At least. To me, them putting him on waivers was clearly an attempt to simply get a team to take him for "free". To save them everything. I'm sure these possible future financial issues (both team cap management and Richards value in relation to his cap hit/length) that LA is thinking negatively about is the only negative aspect other teams have when it comes to Richards. We've seen how this can actually work to our advantage with the Hartnell-Umberger trade.

Question I have. Those of you SO against bringing Richards in. Would your opinion be different if we we're sitting good in the playoff race, say 4th-7th? What about if Horton's CBJ era was completely nonexistent?

2014-15 - 17th (so far)
2013-14 - 25th
2011-12 - 29th

That Richards' offensive numbers have plummeted isn't really a shock; it's happened to pretty much everyone who's suited up the last four years. In addition, the depth that he's buried behind limits his ice time and situational use. .

All very relevant. Usage is the main factor when it comes to guys' numbers/stats. And it can vary quite strongly from year to year. Especially with certain coaches. Foligno is the PERFECT example to look at.

Don't agree really with the very last part. I don't think he should be brought in just to see if he can regain something just to be moved again. He'd be brought in at a crazy low price to see if he still can play at a "top 6" or "middle 6" role. At this point I think he would fit well with our other "underappreciated" vets we have on the team. To me HE is worth the gamble. Like Hartnell, Richards has so many different aspects to his game, and so many different things he could bring to this team. At the very least, a spark.

I don't know how many of you HONESTLY see this team (healthy+couple tweaks) as a "contender" but I do. At the VERY LEAST (like Hartnell) the next couple season after this year he would make our team better. His on ice attitude and play is exactly the type we should want on this team. I'd rather have him here the next 4 years on any line over our new Scandinavian Filatov.

And hey 1 more guy would be huge getting Boll out of the lineup full time right?!? Right?!?:rant:

The amount of REAL MONEY spent on players might affect the number of "Stuff your Face For FREE" nights in a year or so but I think you guys would survive. :nod:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Question I have. Those of you SO against bringing Richards in. Would your opinion be different if we we're sitting good in the playoff race, say 4th-7th? What about if Horton's CBJ era was completely nonexistent?

Can't speak for others, but in my case, no, and no. I unequivocally guarantee that he'd be getting pilloried by this time next year if we claimed him, if not earlier. He would be a great add under many circumstances, but his present contract makes any such move rather ill-advised.

I'd rather have him here the next 4 years on any line over our new Scandinavian Filatov.

:facepalm:
This would be the point where I gave up on your ability to convey anything reasonable - when it was just Wisniewski there was still some hope, but now it's spread. What few moments of useful insight you're able to get in here and there just get thoroughly overwhelmed by this sort of absurd hyperbole.

Last edited:

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
:facepalm:
This would be the point where I gave up on your ability to convey anything reasonable - when it was just Wisniewski there was still some hope, but now it's spread. What few moments of useful insight you're able to get in here and there just get thoroughly overwhelmed by this sort of absurd hyperbole.

A fine analogy. You get a cookie :sarcasm:

latest

:D

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
To me, it comes down to this. If Richards were a free agent, and the CBJ signed him for a 5 year, 22 million dollar deal with a 5.75 cap hit, would I be happy.

The answer is an emphatic "NO". I would rather gamble on internal options than piss away that kind of money on a diminishing player with relatively little upside. Could he make the team better? Doubtful. This team, when healthy, is very strong up the middle with Johansen, Dubinsky, Jenner, Anisimov, Letestu, Chaput and Wennberg. Even if he were a 'spark' I don't see him being better than 5 of those 7 guys. Injuries you say? You don't sign a guy, or pick up a guy, with that kind of contract as injury filler.

No thanks.

While i consider this team as constructed as a contender, I do not think they are at a stage where adding a veteran guy with rings, but diminishing ability, is a good option at that kind of price. $1-2M, sure, maybe, but even then, probably not a center who can't play wing.

Have you ever went to a retail store that snakes the line through an aisle or two of useless junk like carbiners, 2" flashights, potato guns, clever window stickers and various other novelty items? I bet some of you spend 30% more when you go to a store like that...just say no to expensive waiver pickups.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00