Mike Richards -To Claim or Not to Claim

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
I think getting Richards as a reclamation project does make sense under the right circumstances. If a bad contract can be moved, if Los Angeles retains 50%, if everyone recognizes that the right move was not to pick him up back in 2011 at whatever the astronomical price would have been, if he's brought in with the understanding that he's an asset that is being acquired for the purpose of being moved as soon as the right value comes along.

Even if all of this comes to pass - who sits? He's an ineffective W. I'm sure he's still better than Tropp or Boll, but would we really want to pay a guy ~2.5M just to be better than Tropp or Boll? Even at half off, I just don't like it. He have some upside somewhere other than LA, but I don't think it's here.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
If we were at a stage where we were during Arniel's last days, I might be willing to play roulette on Richards. At that time, the team was lost, without direction and lacking leadership. The role Richards would have filled on that team is now filled by Dubi who, based on the concussion history of the two players, I feel much more comfortable having on board multiple years at a 5.75 M cap hit. Yes, Richards has a stronger track record than Dubi, but Dubi still has some room for improvement while Richards is on such a decline that he looks like a shadow of his former self when he's on the ice.

Let me put it this way: I could see some benefit for a team like Edmonton taking a gamble on Richards, but I'd like to think the Jackets have moved past that stage where such a risky move is warranted.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Even if all of this comes to pass - who sits? He's an ineffective W. I'm sure he's still better than Tropp or Boll, but would we really want to pay a guy ~2.5M just to be better than Tropp or Boll? Even at half off, I just don't like it. He have some upside somewhere other than LA, but I don't think it's here.
Pretty much this, only my concern is the term. I think if we were to address that issue I'd rather go after someone like Winnik or Richardson or Santorelli or any number of other options out there.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00