News Article: Mike Richards and May 24th anniversary The Shift

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
If you're a Flyers fan May 24 2010 remains a very special date. It's the 3rd anniversay of "the shift' and the hockey writers have a nice little 'this date in hockey history' piece on it. He gives some nice details about all the stuff within that shift, esp the backchecking, that made it so special.

http://thehockeywriters.com/this-day-in-history-the-shift/

The Shift
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Nr2OQAlXAc

I never get tired of watching the video of that goal,

or the last goal, the empty netter where he busted a gut chasing down a Canadian and after being tripped , on his belly still manages to pass to Carter for the empty netter.
The empty net effort is where you see why he manages to inspire his teammates every where he plays. All hustle and heart...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cz6e-gT6Eto

OT_ this is a really cute story about a 3rd grade student who is a Hawks fan and had a problem on her math quiz 9 x 9 =
and instead of 81 she wrote Hossa
It came back with 'what is this" written next to it.
Gotta love a hockey fan

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...wers-hossa-3rd-grade-math-test-171023862.html

Model62

Jul 14, 2012
Heh.

Strange to see him wearing #18.

And his buddy on the bench there wearing #17.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
So glad the Kings have him. I said this before, but never in the Kings' history do I remember the team having as good of a #2 center as Mike Richards, in the sense that he can do it all and play in every situation. Maybe not since Butch Goring? The Kings are lucky to have d a player like Richards on the roster. He may not be the prettiest player to watch on the ice, but he really puts it all on the line. That shift in last night's game that led to the empty net goal was all resulted from Richards' work ethic.

jml87

Jun 27, 2011
I always notice Mike playing hard but there's just these certain games where he seems to explode with passion and turn into a 6'5" master of the ice. This game of course and game 1 against Vancouver last year was another one.

While he came close that year, that team couldn't overcome their ultimate problem in goal. Just with some above average goaltending I think the Flyers win that series. A year later, most fans seemed to forget about this and he was back to being a binge drinking, lazy, heartless captain.

But the key difference between the Flyers and Kings, and the reason Richards and Carter were able to do what they couldn't in Philly was the incredible defensive play of the Kings D core and a man named Jonathan Quick. That was all they needed to win the Cup. Of course with the addition of the offensive power of Kopi and the rest, they flat out dominated 16-4.

The Kings had a great team that hadn't won a playoff series in ten years. They needed someone to let them know that yes, they were good enough to win, and that person came out with force in game 1 against Vancouver.

Don't want to get carried away with my Richards love, lol. I just want the Flyers to regret every day that they threw this guy away and questioned his dedication. His all out effort and knowledge of the game is what makes him one of my favorite hockey players.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
While he came close that year, that team couldn't overcome their ultimate problem in goal. Just with some above average goaltending I think the Flyers win that series. A year later, most fans seemed to forget about this and he was back to being a binge drinking, lazy, heartless captain.

The sad and pathetic truth about some fans. I live in Philly and there are fans here who still blame him for losing in 2011. The media absolutely crucified him the week after that loss. Goaltending? Lavvy outcoached? Nope. All him, no heart, etc. The fact he was playing with a busted wrist and pneumonia meant nothing. And he continues to get bashed and ED 'Teflon' snider is beloved by that same base, despite the fact he's butchered the team. I can't wait until Bob shuts them out in 4 games in the playoffs next year or JVR buries them in goals in the playoffs.

I just want the Flyers to regret every day that they threw this guy away and questioned his dedication.

Some fans do, the ones that are hockey fans as well not blinded by the orange glow off Broad St. And although he'll never admit it, Homer does. He'd never had done that trade, he's a huge Richards guy .That was all Ed.
And every year the Kings win a Cup and get a deep playoff run while the Flyers are playing golf yet again, I hope it does hurt. It should. MR is one of a kind, and DL was smart enough to grab him.

Seventyx7

Carter Enthusiast
Mar 3, 2004
Norcal
I always notice Mike playing hard but there's just these certain games where he seems to explode with passion and turn into a 6'5" master of the ice. This game of course and game 1 against Vancouver last year was another one.

But the key difference between the Flyers and Kings, and the reason Richards and Carter were able to do what they couldn't in Philly was the incredible defensive play of the Kings D core and a man named Jonathan Quick. That was all they needed to win the Cup. Of course with the addition of the offensive power of Kopi and the rest, they flat out dominated 16-4.

The Kings had a great team that hadn't won a playoff series in ten years. They needed someone to let them know that yes, they were good enough to win, and that person came out with force in game 1 against Vancouver.

Don't want to get carried away with my Richards love, lol. I just want the Flyers to regret every day that they threw this guy away and questioned his dedication. His all out effort and knowledge of the game is what makes him one of my favorite hockey players.

Couldn't agree more about game 1 against Vancouver being the launching point for everything. And he was unbelievable that game in every way. Crushing Burrows with a clean hit up a goal late just created the mentality that the Kings aren't going to back down, ever. So awesome. He doesn't get enough credit for that game.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
It's funny reading some Flyers fans' comments over on their board in the "Around the League" thread as there are still some out there who are still bitter over Richards and Carter. They're like that ex-girlfriend who won't go away.

jml87

Jun 27, 2011
It's funny reading some Flyers fans' comments over on their board in the "Around the League" thread as there are still some out there who are still bitter over Richards and Carter. They're like that ex-girlfriend who won't go away.

I met Richards one time and he was mean to me so I hate him now :shakehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad