Flyers' History: Mike Nykoluk passed away (first full-time assistant coach in NHL history)

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004

That is a reality check, again! Robbie Moore is in discussion as the Flyers most noted flash-in-the-pan. When Bernie Parent suffered a career-ending eye injury, Moore became the other goalie to Wayne Stephenson and made a huge splash initially due to his size (5 foot 5 inches) but then because he had two shutouts in five career regular season starts.

Then came the 3-game mini-series (won 2-1) against Vancouver in which he started Games 2 and 3 and helped rescue the team from what would have been amongst the greatest upsets in NHL history. The turning point of that series was the dramatic faceoff win by Bobby Clarke and pass to Reggie Leach in the last minute of regulation in Game 2 which snapped a tie. That is what will be etched in our memories as we witnessed in the late night or wee morning hours. The comforting win in Game 3 followed. Moore was riding high and there was a sense of relief.

Moore was eventually exposed and so was much of that 1979 team without Parent against a Rangers that stunned the Islanders and made the Cup Finals. He didn't play too many games but he is one of those names who will be remembered forever for a brief uplifting stint in a time of otherwise woe. Associated with a time period in history.

Here's hoping for some positive news in his recovery.

@BiggE

EvcQJXDXUAE99zB

Last edited:

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL

That is a reality check, again! Moore was perhaps the Flyers number one flash-in-the-pan. When Bernie Parent suffered his career-ending eye injury, Moore became the other goalie to Wayne Stephenson and made a huge splash partly because of his size (5 foot 5) but also because he had two shutouts in five career regular season starts. The series against Vancouver in which he helped save the team from what could have been amongst the greatest upsets in NHL history but that incredible faceoff win by Bobby Clarke in the last minute of regulation snapped a tie and will be etched in our memories as we witnessed in the wee morning hours of that Friday that spared the team from a possible sweep.

But Moore was eventually exposed and so was much of that 1979 team without Parent. He didn't play too many games but he is one of those players who will be remembered forever.

Here's hoping for some positive news in his recovery.

@BiggE

I will certainly say a prayer for him. As a 13 year old kid, I was blown away by his debut.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
I was a big fan of Robbie Moore and always wondered why his career was so short (then). He was the Flyers version of (Pro Bowler) Mike Boryla to me.

He was promoted because of an unnatural situation involving Bernie Parent. I recall when Parent got jabbed in the eye by a stick. It wasn't gory like Barry Ashbee or even Chris Pronger but it was as penetrating and painful. Moore was on call.

With Wayne Stephenson supposedly unhappy in his role, he was dealt to Washington following that season's end.

St. Louis had Mike Liut incoming from the WHA, they made a good trade partner and hence Phil Myre was the veteran presence.

Pete Peeters had the pedigree and was the young star in waiting.

Myre and Peeters made a good combo for that season.

Eventually Pelle Lindbergh and Rick. St. Croix were also in the wings.

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

Kermit the Prog

Threadkiller
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Greenville, DE
He was promoted because of an unnatural situation involving Bernie Parent. I recall when Parent got jabbed in the eye by a stick. It wasn't gory like Barry Ashbee or even Chris Pronger but it was as penetrating and painful. Moore was on call.

With Wayne Stephenson supposedly unhappy in his role, he was dealt to Washington following that season's end.

St. Louis had Mike Liut incoming from the WHA, they made a good trade partner and hence Phil Myre was the veteran presence.

Pete Peeters had the pedigree and was the young star in waiting.

Myre and Peeters made a good combo for that season.

Eventually Pelle Lindbergh and Rick. St. Croix were also in the wings.

I eventually understood why Moore was not the answer, but at the time, I was fanboy-ing the situation. I can still see Bernie ripping off his mask and skating to the bench when the stick hit him in the eye.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad