Celebrity Death: Mike Nesmith, 78 (The Monkees)

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
and there was one.

After Peter Tork died and he said the two never got along-he was asked why? He said several reasons. One was while they were both musicians, Tork was happy to do whatever he was told, while Peter wanted to do his own music. He also pointed out that. like his mother, Nesmith was always looking at how to improve things and for the next big thing. Also, when the Monkees started, Nesmith was married with kids and it gave him a different perspective on things(like taking his laundry to the audition so he could use their machines for free his line was something like "You are not paying me to be here and I have expenses")

Reactions: GarbageGoal

HolyGhost

May 6, 2016
Buffalo
few interesting interviews

Whenever I see him or anyone who claim that he did the first music video. Problem is. Queen did it in 75 and a few other times to air on top of the pops. Also, what do you call what the Beatles did with many of their songs in the late 60's? Before they were called music Videos--they were called Promotional videos and they have been getting done since the mid 50's. These promotional videos were shown before movies as late at 79/80. This is when you still had either cartoons or other stuff before the main movie

final concert reportedly

Last edited:

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
and there was one.

After Peter Tork died and he said the two never got along-he was asked why? He said several reasons. One was while they were both musicians, Tork was happy to do whatever he was told, while Peter wanted to do his own music. He also pointed out that. like his mother, Nesmith was always looking at how to improve things and for the next big thing. Also, when the Monkees started, Nesmith was married with kids and it gave him a different perspective on things(like taking his laundry to the audition so he could use their machines for free his line was something like "You are not paying me to be here and I have expenses")

I think Mike felt like Peter wasn't enough in solidarity with him on the fight for musical control. He sort of expected it from Davy and Mickey being actors and "Hollywood studio" guys but not Peter. That said Peter always said he was stunned when he showed up to a session in the early days and there's the Wrecking Crew and Glen Campbell and someone half-heartedly offers Peter to sit in on the fourth chair guitar on "Mary Mary".

Peter never felt Mike respected him or his music and he was probably right. The huge falling out was in '67 when Mike recruited Chip Douglas as Kirshner was jettisoned to make the Monkees sound more like trippy pop like the Turtles and less studio bubble gum.Mike loved the studio time afforded to him by RCA at the end of their contract and used it make essentially the demos for what would be his catalog in the early 70's with the First National Band. Peter dragged along his hangers-ons to try and make crap like "Lady's Baby" and they'd just smoke weed and drink wine.

Glad I got to see Mike in a small venue a few years back in 2014. RIP to a legend,

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
A few years ago I did a deep dive on song Nesmith wrote…demos of songs other guys in the Monkees would end up singing that he sang on the demo…stuff he did away from the band…

I became a huge huge fan of his work. Now I’m going to go and find it all again.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
It’s honestly weird when I hear Mike’s name, because I associate him more with Whiteout than the Monkees.

As soon as I heard he died I started thinking about all the kids in my class who used to try and get high on his mom’s supply.

Sad to hear he died though, I know my mom was a big fan of the Monkees growing up - think she had the hots for Davey though, sorry Mike.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad