Pre-Game Talk: Mike Modano's number to be retired March 8th

PezRadar

Peverley #1 Fan!
Jan 20, 2008
Dallas Texas
Haha.

Now I'm contemplating.

I must say this Gaglardi Stars crew is awesome. Love what they have done for the STH's this year.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
How'd all the out of towners that went to practice like Frisco?

It was unreal. Unfortunately oconnor9sean woke up too late to make the trip in from Austin. So, we took Uber which was way cheaper than a taxi and way quicker than a bus.

Another bummer was it was an optional skate so the only guys on the ice were Kari, Thomas, Nuke, Chiasson, Cole, Roussel, KConn and Rome.

But like most of the guys were at the facility so post practice it seemed like half signed and the other half snuck out the back which was sort of disappointing.

Roussel and Dillon were by far the nicest. They both took their time and chatted with the fans. I picked up a Dillon jersey post practice and got it autographed which rules.

Eakin, Fiddler, Garbutt, KConn, Gonchar, Goose, Daley and Rome also signed for the fans.

So that left the Benn Brothers, Seguin, Pevs, Horcoff, Cole, Chiasson, Whitney, Kari and Nichushkin who went out the other way. Which kind of sucked. That's like half the team.

We went out to the back entrance and it turned out Nuke wasn't gone yet and neither was Tim Thomas. So Nuke signed and took a photo... he still knows very little English. We called it a day since by the time Nuke came out it was like 1:15 or later and we didn't really want to wait much longer for Tim Thomas (sorry Tim no hard feelings)

What is kind of a bummer is that they have the signing section sort of roped so the players will sign and then some players leave out back. I mean I understand not wanting to be bothered to sign, but when they leave out the back entrance I'm guessing they probably ended up signing for the autograph hounds (???) out there. Plus, there may have been like 25 or 30 people there tops. Oh well, it would have been nice to get the jersey filled out and see Benn and Seguin but there's always another time I guess.

Overall it ended up being a sick morning/afternoon either way. Both our days in Dallas have been unreal, let's make it a hat-trick tomorrow.

Jack of Blades

Nov 14, 2013
Dallas
Slightly off topic question: why did Mo lose his captaincy to Morrow in 2006? It's something I've kinda been wondering for a while. I understand Morrow was a great leader-type of guy, but you rarely see anybody stripped of their "C" whenever they're appointed it.

Stars99Lobo37

May 9, 2004
Sec 314 - Richardson
Slightly off topic question: why did Mo lose his captaincy to Morrow in 2006? It's something I've kinda been wondering for a while. I understand Morrow was a great leader-type of guy, but you rarely see anybody stripped of their "C" whenever they're appointed it.

Modano never wanted it, and he was a terrible captain from everything we've heard/seen.

It was an extremely strange situation looking back. Modano wasn't pleased it happened at all. They pretty much just took it off of him without giving a reason outside of Morrow will be the better captain reason.

Last edited:

beepeearr

@beepeearr
Jan 11, 2006
Lake Worth

I've always wondered about those teams during that little run, such promise with very little to show for it. Seemed like there was a divide in the locker room between the top lines. Maybe some resentment from the trio of Arnott, Guerin, and Morrow that whatever line Mo centered was always considered the top line. I just remember interviews at the time gave an impression there might be some tension there, didn't help that line seemed to disappear in the Playoffs. A lot of first round exits when we looked like the team to beat.

Jack of Blades

Nov 14, 2013
Dallas
Modano never wanted it, and he was a terrible captain from everything we've heard/seen.

It was an extremely strange situation looking back. Modano didn't wasn't pleased it happened at all. They pretty much just took it off of him without giving a reason outside of Morrow will be the better captain reason.

Mo never really seemed like a captain to me. Then again, I'm pretty young and was only 7-8 years old when the Stars won the Cup so my memory of Modano as a captain is pretty vague, even though I was around 14 years old when Morrow took over. It's nothing against Modano, he just always seemed like the quiet type to me, not somebody you would want to be a captain.

mikko1995

May 30, 2010
Kind of OT; but when do you guys expect them to retire Jere's number? I assume that he would be very close to be the next in line after Mo's night tonight.

Jere is my favorite player of all-time and as unlikely it is (don't have the dough to fly to Dallas, nor anywhere outside of Finland pretty much), I'd love to be there the day his number gets raised to the rafters.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Kind of OT; but when do you guys expect them to retire Jere's number? I assume that he would be very close to be the next in line after Mo's night tonight.

Jere is my favorite player of all-time and as unlikely it is (don't have the dough to fly to Dallas, nor anywhere outside of Finland pretty much), I'd love to be there the day his number gets raised to the rafters.

Next year hopefully, along with Zubov. Jere in November, Zubov in March.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
All 4 together:

BiQ3gGKCUAAlRwH.jpg

https://twitter.com/Russostrib/status/442539688088174594

Russo also has a nice article on Modano

DaStars99

Purdue Alumnus
Feb 6, 2007
Dallas
New trophy unveiled at the after party. It will be awarded to the player with the most points at the end of each season.

Sorry about my not so good picture.

BiQ4lmTCAAAE_pt.jpg

beepeearr

@beepeearr
Jan 11, 2006
Lake Worth
New trophy unveiled at the after party. It will be awarded to the player with the most points at the end of each season.

Sorry about my not so good picture.

BiQ4lmTCAAAE_pt.jpg

Oh man I totally guessed wrong on what that was last night, I thought Mo was going to get his statue in front of the AAC, plus when I saw the hands up I thought he was going to be holding the cup.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
Love the direction this franchise is going. Everything about what Gaglardi has done (from the big things to the little things) is just so awesome.

Also, what are the chances Jere gets his number retired? Really hope he does, I think he deserves it.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I was going to post a thread on this, but decided to wait until the team announced because I had no idea what it's for.

That's awesome. An award I suspect Seguin will win early and often. Nuke and Benn likely his best competition.

mikko1995

May 30, 2010
Love the direction this franchise is going. Everything about what Gaglardi has done (from the big things to the little things) is just so awesome.

Also, what are the chances Jere gets his number retired? Really hope he does, I think he deserves it.

Although I am biased, I don't think there's any chance that Jere's number will not be retired. You don't get too many guys playing their whole career with one team. And then to add to that he played a major role in the early (and even late) 2000's, arguably being Dallas' second best forward during that time span; and then you add winning the Selke Award three times and being nominated another three, I think you would have a hard time to not retire his jersey.

MetalGodAOD*

This is random but I had no idea that Mike divorced Willa Ford and remarried. His wife is hot and nearly half his age, still living the dream Mike. Kudos.

She's the daughter of the NYR color commentator as well, thus the joke last night. The more you know.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad