WEEI Mike Milbury says Bruce Cassidy is ‘starting to implode a little bit’

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Mike Milbury is on the record as not being a fan of how often Bruins coach Bruce Cassidy calls players out publicly. During his weekly appearance on The Greg Hill Show on Thursday, Milbury took things a step further and said he believes Cassidy is “starting to implode a little bit” and is in danger of losing the locker room.
“I think he’s been a really good coach for them for a while … but he is starting to implode a little bit,” Milbury said of Cassidy. “I don’t like the way he’s handled things recently.”

Cassidy is currently sidelined after contracting COVID-19, but prior to that it was clear he was trying to shake things up in order to jumpstart the struggling Bruins. Most recently, he made Jake DeBrusk and Erik Haula healthy scratches on Sunday, a move that prompted DeBrusk to go public with his request for the Bruins to trade him.

While Cassidy clearly lost DeBrusk, Milbury fears he could lose others if he continues to resort to public criticism and benchings.

“That’s an incredibly dangerous approach to take,” Milbury said. “When you start screaming at your players publicly and putting them on the line, that means you’ve used every bullet in your gun to try to get a guy to move in the direction you want him to go. If you start embarrassing him publicly, that can really set off a lot of emotions in the locker room with individual players and cause tons of resentment, and I think that will happen.

“Clearly they’re not playing particularly well,” Milbury added. “He’s trying to do things to shake the team up. In my mind, yeah, he’s putting himself in a position where he could lose the locker room.”

Listen to the full interview with Milbury below:

NHL Analyst Mike Milbury: Bruins Head Coach Bruce Cassidy "He's Putting Himself In A Position Where He Could Lose The Locker Room"

Bridges31

Sweep the leg!
Oct 7, 2007
NH
There was also a former Washington player that did an interview on chiclets. I can’t remember exactly what was said but it was a lot of the same sentiments about Bruce calling players out publicly.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Mike Milbury is on the record as not being a fan of how often Bruins coach Bruce Cassidy calls players out publicly. During his weekly appearance on The Greg Hill Show on Thursday, Milbury took things a step further and said he believes Cassidy is “starting to implode a little bit” and is in danger of losing the locker room.
“I think he’s been a really good coach for them for a while … but he is starting to implode a little bit,” Milbury said of Cassidy. “I don’t like the way he’s handled things recently.”

Cassidy is currently sidelined after contracting COVID-19, but prior to that it was clear he was trying to shake things up in order to jumpstart the struggling Bruins. Most recently, he made Jake DeBrusk and Erik Haula healthy scratches on Sunday, a move that prompted DeBrusk to go public with his request for the Bruins to trade him.

While Cassidy clearly lost DeBrusk, Milbury fears he could lose others if he continues to resort to public criticism and benchings.

“That’s an incredibly dangerous approach to take,” Milbury said. “When you start screaming at your players publicly and putting them on the line, that means you’ve used every bullet in your gun to try to get a guy to move in the direction you want him to go. If you start embarrassing him publicly, that can really set off a lot of emotions in the locker room with individual players and cause tons of resentment, and I think that will happen.

“Clearly they’re not playing particularly well,” Milbury added. “He’s trying to do things to shake the team up. In my mind, yeah, he’s putting himself in a position where he could lose the locker room.”

Listen to the full interview with Milbury below:

NHL Analyst Mike Milbury: Bruins Head Coach Bruce Cassidy "He's Putting Himself In A Position Where He Could Lose The Locker Room"

Just being honest - this may be true and if anyone else (not named Jimmy Murphy or Joe Haggerty) were saying it it would mean something to me. Milbury sniping from the cheap seats? Has he spoken with any of the players?

I’ll just ignore it. Too much water under that bridge for me.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
While I don't necessarily agree with Milbury, the fact is this is Butch's 6th training camp with the big club and 5th as HC. He's outlasted nearly every Bruin coach in the modern era except for Julien.

He's among the most tenured coaches in the NHL now. To think that a coach after 5+ years is beginning to lose the room wouldn't be surprising at all. Heck I'd even go as far as to say a coach going into his 6th season with the same team is closer to an exception than the norm.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
He needs to put health and family first - He looked worrisome behind bench to me against Vancouver

maybe he had onset of COVID symptoms but agree with Milbury he appears a bit unglued & very stressed and taking every loss badly

I don’t believe he has a contract next year and that would worry me

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
Wasn’t this an issue when he coached Washington back in the day? I wonder if being on the hot seat has him resorting to old habits

Reactions: Mione134

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Saddling all the blame onto Cassidy is irresponsible by Milbury and is a clear sign of him trying to run point for the front office, which to be quite honest is disgusting. Stop protecting the Sweeney-Neely boys club that has built this horrendous roster with a sub par prospect pool. Cassidy is getting results in spite of the bumbling and fumbling of Donnie Boy and Cam. If anyone's heads should be on the chopping block, it should be Neely and Sweeney. They have absolutely bottled draft after draft, made terrible moves in free agency, and when the blame has to be laid they are going to use the coach as a scapegoat in spite of the fact he arguably was a major factor in why this team became competitive again.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I just had a terrifying thought that Milbury is being critical lately in order to show his clout as "what I'd do if I were a coach" and to try to get Bruce fired and that Don is going to replace him with...Mike Milbury.

Someone comfort me and tell me it's just a bad dream.

Reactions: Dr Hook and Alicat

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
I just had a terrifying thought that Milbury is being critical lately in order to show his clout as "what I'd do if I were a coach" and to try to get Bruce fired and that Don is going to replace him with...Mike Milbury.

Milbury is a Bruins stooge because Sweeney and Neely are his boys from when he coached the B's back in the late 80s and early 90s if memory serves me right. He's trying to cover their asses because they are the ones most responsible for the clusterf*** we watch on the ice.

KrejciWinger

Nov 3, 2015
"Lost the room" implies not just a few players, but also the core. And yet its quite clear that the first line, McAvoy, Hall, Coyle, Carlo, Grzelcyk are committed every night.

Yes there are obvious clashes like Debrusk, and maybe others less known like Frederic or Clifton if I were to guess, but wow that would be using the term "room" quite generously.

If anything i think Cassidy is losing patience with management to provide a competent lineup...

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
He needs to put health and family first - He looked worrisome behind bench to me against Vancouver

maybe he had onset of COVID symptoms but agree with Milbury he appears a bit unglued & very stressed and taking every loss badly

i wonder how long his deal is - they only called it multi year when he signed before the 2019-20
season. guess he could be up after this year. that would make things a lot more uncomfortable
for him, no doubt. one thing is for sure, i don't see joe sacco as the answer to any question
that starts "who is the best guy to take over for cassidy should he not be the coach next year".

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007

Cassidy contract runs through 22-23.

CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
Screenshot_20211202-165244_Chrome.jpg

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England

Bad dream but he’s a great “shit against the wall” candidate. Fire Bruce, hire Millbury. 1/2 thing will happen. They’ll do well under him or completely shit the bed. You can can him easily after the 2nd thing happens and he’ll help get a high pick out of it.

How was Millbury as a coach back in the day? I’d assume that the team you’d at least expect the team to play heavy?

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Bad dream but he’s a great “shit against the wall” candidate. Fire Bruce, hire Millbury. 1/2 thing will happen. They’ll do well under him or completely shit the bed. You can can him easily after the 2nd thing happens and he’ll help get a high pick out of it.

How was Millbury as a coach back in the day? I’d assume that the team you’d at least expect the team to play heavy?

This is the career coaching record of the Brighton, Massachusetts native.

upload_2021-12-2_17-0-7.png

Reactions: RussellmaniaKW

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

I don't know Milbury hasn't coached a full-season in a quarter-century and is nearly 70 years old. I doubt he has a good enough understanding of the modern NHL game to be an effective head coach. Then factor in how players need to be managed now, to advances in analytics and video tech. Etc. Etc.

I think Milbury would be completely in over his head.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
This is a classic situation where maybe it’s time for a shakeup and you can’t trade 25 guys.

So, as usual the obvious play is to thank him for all he’s done, say that it’s not all on him, wish him luck and fire the coach.

Then wait for the inevitable stock articles from the media pointing out that: “now that the coach is gone the GM and players have nobody to blame but themselves”.

Wouldn’t surprise me one bit.

Reactions: GordonHowe and BMC

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
That Boston track record isn’t bad. ECF and a SCF ;)

Maybe Millbury only likes to coach in Boston, haha. Did he leave for the GM job in NY after 1991?

Mike became assistant GM for the 92-93 season. On March 30, 1994, Boston College announced that Mike Milbury would take over as the head coach of the hockey team, replacing Steve Cedorchuk. However, Milbury abruptly left the job at Boston College before coaching a game, citing "philosophical differences" with the school's athletics department in a press conference held on June 2, 1994. BC eventually hired legendary coach Jerry York, then the head coach at Bowling Green University, to replace Milbury, while Milbury took work as a television analyst.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Mike became assistant GM for the 92-93 season. On March 30, 1994, Boston College announced that Mike Milbury would take over as the head coach of the hockey team, replacing Steve Cedorchuk. However, Milbury abruptly left the job at Boston College before coaching a game, citing "philosophical differences" with the school's athletics department in a press conference held on June 2, 1994. BC eventually hired legendary coach Jerry York, then the head coach at Bowling Green University, to replace Milbury, while Milbury took work as a television analyst.

You’re a book of Boston sports knowledge. I love it. Thanks, Fen.

Reactions: chizzler and Alicat

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017

To be fair I believe Milbury was generally thought of as a good coach but a horrible GM.

That said he was prone to stupidity like dressing 6 goons in the lineup for a playoff game after Ulf kneed Neely. Plus he hasn't coached since like 1995.

Reactions: dabid

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad