Waived: Mike Kostka claimed by TBL

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Makes no sense to me. Yes he's better then when he left but unless we have another move in the works to move Aulie he'll be just a pressboxer. I would also rather give minutes to Nesterov/Sergeev then Kostka, the Crunch aren't going anywhere this year so give the kids minutes.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
What happened to Cote? Thought Sustr was back playing?

Chicago would reclaim him and he'd go right to the A.

Sustr came back from the head thing and then got hurt again recently on Friday. I'm not really sure what happened to Cote. During the game on the 14th after he blew up Blacker (which he got a 5 game suspension for) and fought another player, Jeremy Houghtaling tweeted he was holding his knee and left the game. I can't find anything else on that.

http://www.syracuse.com/crunch/inde...l_teams_take_a_pass.html#incart_flyout_sports
BriseBois said Kostka, a veteran minor leaguer, was claimed to add depth on the blueline in light of injuries to Syracuse defensemen J.P. Cote and Andrej Sustr.

"We've been looking to balance out our right side on D,'' BriseBois said. "We know him. He can fit right in.''

If Tampa Bay wanted to eventually send Kostka to the Crunch, he would first have to clear NHL waivers, If that happened and Chicago was the only team to put in a claim, the Blackhawks could send him to the AHL if they wanted.

Sustr hurt his left shoulder/collarbone area in a loss to Utica on Friday. He returned to that game but sat out Saturday's win at Hershey. BriseBois said he will not play against the Bears today and it's unclear how long he'll be out.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
Kostka played for Cooper in Norfolk when they won the Calder Cup. Decent depth acquisition that the coach already knows. Can't get excited about it but I don't hate it.

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
Sustr has spent more time on IR than playing for the Crunch since he was sent down. I believe he caught the "Connolly Flu" as soon as he arrived at the airport here in Syracuse.

Yzlamic Preacher*

I thought because of the roster freeze we aren't allowed to do anything?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Kostka is garbage but maybe in the right environment the Lightning can get some good use out of him.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
http://lightning.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=706291
"As an organization you cannot have enough depth at defense," head coach Jon Cooper said.
"Mike was a big part of our run in Norfolk and I know him extremely well," Cooper said. "First and foremost he's a great person and great in our locker room. He thinks through the game extremely well."
"He's not only an NHL defenseman, but a right-handed shot that can play on the power play if needed," Cooper said. "Sustr's hurt, so we just have Salo and Gudas in that group of right-handed defensemen. To have a right-handed shot like Kostka's, that can contribute to our team was a no-brainer for us and I'm happy for him."
Kostka will report to the Lightning and wear No. 21 for the team.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
So I've heard many different things... is he joining the Lightning, or joining the Crunch? Cote must have to stay with the Crunch if Kostka goes to the Bolts.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
So I've heard many different things... is he joining the Lightning, or joining the Crunch? Cote must have to stay with the Crunch if Kostka goes to the Bolts.

He's apparently reporting to Tampa. And I'm pretty sure Cote is not only currently with the Crunch, but also injured.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

When you claim a player he has to be on your NHL roster. I'm not sure the amount of time he has to remain on the roster before you can then waive him. If we were to put him on waivers right away I'm sure Chicago would claim him and then he'd immediately go to Rockford their AHL affiliate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad