Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBush*

I'd pay the price of admission to watch Karlsson and Hoffman in a race

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Maybe. I actually think he's been ok on the PP. That's pretty much the only place where he's been above average.

That's because he has a ton of experience. And instead of going for cute plays all the time like players like Turris and Karlsson, he makes the simple efficient play, and that's why he is the leading PP scorer amongst forwards. He manages the puck and controls the half-boards a bit like Kovalev and Alfie. I'm not saying he is as good as them, they were Elite.

And he seems to be doing quite well defensively too...

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...=50&teamid=21&type=goals&sort=A60&sortdir=ASC

Amongst the 15 forwards that have played for the Sens this year, he ranks 4th in GA per 60 at Even Strenght.

The 3 guys before him :

Neil : small sample size and sheltered, but he is a safe player though, consistent with that stat over the years. But he is sheltered a bit

Condra : defensive expert.

Hoffman : sheltered, getting a lot of OZ starts.

Not really. Legwand has been dislike because some posters were predicting he'll be playing 2nd line center, while getting 50 pts. But if I had to use one word to describe Legwand, it would be "underwhelming". He's a 4th line center now which will be lucky if he gets 30. He's been also described as a shutdown center by some. Well, he hasn't been shutting down people as much lately. Another point of frustration.

Well, Sens fans on HF are experts at setting expectations too high. Sure, Legwand could have repeated his 51 pts of last season but that was not a guarantee. And it's not playing with Smith, Neil, Condra and Lazar that he will do it... It's clear that this team is in a development year, but I seem to be one of the few to see it I guess. Opportunity has been given to Zibanejad because he is not a stop gap like Legwand (2 years, 6M$)

As for the rest, sorry it's crap. Legwand was signed for cheap as a veteran presence (yes 3M$ is cheap in the UFA world. Boyd Gordon makes the same), he plays a defensive role (rarely plays with offensive players) and good on him if he finishes with over 30 pts. Nothing underwhelming, it just comes with unrealistic expectations. I wanted him to score 50 pts too, but my preference is that Zibanejad does it. I'm not going to cry over if it doesn't happen

By the way, 4th line center NEVER score 30 pts in a season. The best 3rd line centers do. Maybe you're not evolving fast enough with the NHL scoring spreading.

Finally, disingenuous at best to say "4th line center" BECAUSE he has the 8th highest TOI/G amongst forwards... and only centers with more ice-time are Turris and Zibanejad, as expected.

But it's not that important because I'm going to add that there is no really a 3rd or 4th line... They have been rotating Pageau, Lazar, Smith, Legwand a lot as centers in the bottom-6. They go more by who's doing well. The number of the line is overstated and is more of use for fans and medias.

Kind of unfair to point to Hoffman's point totals as he's been used differently than Michalek and Legwand. He's been playing mostly the point with Karlsson. Lately he's been used differently, but most of the year he's been on the point. Usually he's the one passing off to Karlsson anyways.

I don't care if it's unfair or not, it's a COLD STRAIGHT FACT. By the way I prefer Hoffman 1000 X more than Legwand but the difference with me is I am able to call a spade a spade. I just defend Legwand against the ridiculousity of this board.

Legwand and Michalek have been around the net, so it makes sense they are getting better scoring opportunities. But let's not kid ourselves that Michalek has been some kind of PP king. Only lately has he started scoring on the PP.

Never said Michalek has been a PP king, I'm just giving you facts, you interpret them as you want. And I see how you do.

Nothing wrong with that. Also, nothing wrong with getting rid of older veteran players who can't contribute as much as a younger guy.

There's a ton of ways of contributing to a hockey team. You guys are so funny because you seem to think that trading all of Phillips, Neil, Michalek and Legwand all of sudden will make this team a Cup Contender by replacing them by prospects. No, it would just bring the team closer to being the Oilers in reality... Younger NHL players without much experience need veteran leadership on and off the ice to take pressure off them, it's as simple as that. It prevents them to become scapegoats too fast : see Cowen, a guy that has been giving an important role very fast, the way this board "likes it". See the results.

At some point, how many rookies and sophomores can you have?

Why don't you start another petition?

lol really? It happened? What was it? Link?

Are the sens denying him PP time because of contract negotiations? They also put him with Legwand and Lazar two of our worst even strength scorers.

Really? Out of 23 players, Legwand is 11th for ESP and Lazar is 14th... Among 15 forwards? 8th and 10th

And lol, who the heck cares? Basically every player on a team ends up playing with every other player on a 82 games season... This is ridiculous. Denying him PP time because of contract negotiations? lol the paranoia is strong here.

Last edited:

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
He said in his last call up.

He ended the seasons with 3 goals and 4 points in his last 5 games.

oh. Well that makes it even more puzzling

I take issue with xfinity saying Hoffman is shelter. Hoffman's high o zone starts can be attributed to him being put in offensive situations also i dont believe his quality of competition backs up saying hes sheltered.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
That's because he has a ton of experience. And instead of going for cute plays all the time like players like Turris and Karlsson, he makes the simple efficient play, and that's why he is the leading PP scorer amongst forwards. He manages the puck and controls the half-boards a bit like Kovalev and Alfie. I'm not saying he is as good as them, they were Elite.

And he seems to be doing quite well defensively too...

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...=50&teamid=21&type=goals&sort=A60&sortdir=ASC

That has been at least the second time you have posted that link with that data. And I already told you last time that his numbers were due to small sample size and luck. His GA numbers have been rising steadily as the year goes on as he regresses to the norm. He's responsible defensively but let's not call him a "shutdown" center. He's not that. If you want to call him a shutdown center, then he's been very underwhelming most of the year.

As for the rest, sorry it's crap. Legwand was signed for cheap as a veteran presence (yes 3M$ is cheap in the UFA world. Boyd Gordon makes the same), he plays a defensive role (rarely plays with offensive players) and good on him if he finishes with over 30 pts. Nothing underwhelming, it just comes with unrealistic expectations. I wanted him to score 50 pts too, but my preference is that Zibanejad does it. I'm not going to cry over if it doesn't happen

By the way, 4th line center NEVER score 30 pts in a season. The best 3rd line centers do. Maybe you're not evolving fast enough with the NHL scoring spreading.

Which is what I said. He's a 4th line center, maybe a 3rd at most at this stage of his career. You don't need explain it to me. But a lot of posters here were penciling in 50 pts and playing as a second line center. I've been saying to taper your expectations, which sounded ridiculous to some posters. But hey, that's HFBoards. A lot of different opinions.

Finally, disingenuous at best to say "4th line center" BECAUSE he has the 8th highest TOI/G amongst forwards... and only centers with more ice-time are Turris and Zibanejad, as expected.

But it's not that important because I'm going to add that there is no really a 3rd or 4th line... They have been rotating Pageau, Lazar, Smith, Legwand a lot as centers in the bottom-6. They go more by who's doing well. The number of the line is overstated and is more of use for fans and medias.

Not really. I look at even strength numbers to see the pecking order of players. Some have expertise in different areas (i.e. PK) which will inflate their numbers, for example if the team is taking a lot of penalties.

So, if you look at it:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?fetchKey=20152OTTCACALL&sort=avgEvenStrengthTOIPerGame&viewName=timeOnIce

He's a 4th line center. His 6 minutes of ice time last game, kind of gives it away...

I don't care if it's unfair or not, it's a COLD STRAIGHT FACT. By the way I prefer Hoffman 1000 X more than Legwand but the difference with me is I am able to call a spade a spade. I just defend Legwand against the ridiculousity of this board.

Sure it's a fact, but you can use certain data to prove a false point. You have to look behind the numbers. I suggest you do that.

There's a ton of ways of contributing to a hockey team. You guys are so funny because you seem to think that trading all of Phillips, Neil, Michalek and Legwand all of sudden will make this team a Cup Contender by replacing them by prospects. No, it would just bring the team closer to being the Oilers in reality... Younger NHL players without much experience need veteran leadership on and off the ice to take pressure off them, it's as simple as that. It prevents them to become scapegoats too fast : see Cowen, a guy that has been giving an important role very fast, the way this board "likes it". See the results.

At some point, how many rookies and sophomores can you have?

Not this stupid Oilers argument again. Seems to be the go to argument for the crowd defending Phillips, Neil and all.

The thing is, I don't want the team full of rookies. That doesn't work. But we are nothing like that Oilers, and will never be due to the roster as it currently is. The Oilers have too many one dimensional players. Whether they be rookies or veterans. And did you know that they are not as young as you make it sound to be? They have a strong veteran presence and always had. So please stop with the Oilers thing. But I digress.

I don't have an age bias. I have a skill bias. If a player is not good enough to play on a team, I don't care if he's young or old. He shouldn't be playing. If Wier is playing better than Phillips. He should play. If Lazar is playing better than Neil. He should play.

We have enough veteran presence on the team by now, that we don't need to keep the older statesman in prominent roles. Neil should be a 13th forward and Phillips should be a 7th D.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Hoffman with his 16 goals is 27th in the NHL in goals, his +19 is 9th in the NHL

In rookie scoring he is 1st in goals, 4th in points, 2nd in + -,

Inf4mous0ne

Jan 28, 2010
Hoffman with his 16 goals is 27th in the NHL in goals, his +19 is 9th in the NHL

In rookie scoring he is 1st in goals, 4th in points, 2nd in + -,

Pretty good! Nice to see him and Stone in the top 5 for rookie scoring. Though definitely think Calder goes to Ekblad or Forsberg. Both have planned amazingly well this year and are 6-7 years younger (than Hoffman).

Still, happy with what we are seeing! :)

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
He makes everyone he plays with better! He can snipe and his skating is sooo awesome!

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
That is true. He's the opposite of Chia. He makes every line better, instead of sucking the life out of them.

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
I'd pay the price of admission to watch Karlsson and Hoffman in a race

They raced at the Sens skills day, it was the most entertaining part of that whole event, Hoffman won by what looked like nothing.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
It's worth noting that he had a slow start, too. In his first 8 games he only had 2 points, and wasn't being used much (and still wasn't being used as much as he should have been after he started putting up points regularly).

He might never be a superstar but he's a special player to watch. It's really nice for him to be breaking out this way at 25 when a lot of people have already given up on prospects. It's too bad they didn't keep Da Costa around because I feel he was primed to break out also.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
#tbt

F9mopYb.jpg

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
That is true. He's the opposite of Chia. He makes every line better, instead of sucking the life out of them.

Lol good point!

The other game when he was dropped down with Lazar and Legwand he was flying and got them going.

I wonder if they should switch him with MacArthur to see if he can get Turris moving his feet again.

I still do not understand why they don't play him on the pp with that shot of his and it looks to me like some Chemistry with Karlsson.

Id like to see an umbrella where Karlsson loads up him and Ceci on there off wings for one timers.

Karlsson2Turris*

Just realized he's first in rookie goal scoring (all at ES :amazed:) Also fourth in points behind Forsberg, Gaudreau, and Stone.

What a gem we have

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
The question is will he keep it up next year? This is a contract year after all.

It's a valid point.

For whatever reason I don't see it being a problem with Hoffman, though. Dude just oozees with so many excellent qualities. Speed, skill, hockey IQ, excellent shot etc.

Sure a sophmore slump probably wouldn't be all that surprising, but I can't see any kind of long term regression with him.

He's a beaut.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Hes a ****ing all star.

Gonna be interesting if he hits 30 goals, and Zibby hits 20 since they both need new contracts.

as for a regression I don't see it, he just has so much to rely on mainly his speed and shot that he is just bound to get enough points to avoid HF going bipolar on him.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
His average icetime is 17 minutes or so

He's still got a long, long way to go to be considered established a far as top scorer goes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad