Mike Hoffman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hossa18

Jan 20, 2008
You might as well change your name to Cory Locke 2.0 because thus far, that's all Hoffman is.

Whining about lack of chances? He got two games with our best Centre and winger and did nothing. Actually he did less than nothing as he managed to actually bring his line down by looking lost out there.

If you're not a grade A prospect and you're given the chance for top 6 minutes, you sure as heck better make the most of it. He didn't. Just like Da Costa.

I don't think you have ever played hockey in your like......You have no clue if you compare Locke to Hoffman.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Well....I didn't even notice Hoffman on the ice last night. Not the greatest of signs.

That said, you have to give guys a decent number of games and minutes to have a decent idea what they're made of.

As of now, I have no clue what kind of NHL potential he has.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Well....I didn't even notice Hoffman on the ice last night. Not the greatest of signs.

That said, you have to give guys a decent number of games and minutes to have a decent idea what they're made of.

As of now, I have no clue what kind of NHL potential he has.

he played 4:57 total or equivalent of one karlsson shift

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
I really can't believe some of the comments here. Outside of Zibby ( who is elite) this management team has done a horrendous job with the sens young talent. Hoffman is the latest to fall into this category. You have to give a guy a fighting chance. Two games is not a fighting chance. Hoffman is a 24 year old player who the sens need to make a decision on at the end of the year. He needs to given ample opportunity to prove himself. I laugh at people who think they have it figured out already. WHO KNOWS until he gets a proper opportunity.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Maybe I'm off completely, but it looks like he needs a few games to get over the fact that he's playing in the NHL.

He's only had 7 career NHL games. It looks like nerves might be getting to him. He shows flashes of good stuff, but doesn't seem able to finish.

There's no point in bringing him up and not playing him. Ottawa has nothing to lose right now by trying something new, they are already out of a playoff spot with their current formula. Worst case scenario, it doesn't work, and they're still treading water out of the playoffs. Best case scenario, they have something with Hoffman.

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
he played 4:57 total or equivalent of one karlsson shift

Brutal.

Embarrassing how much ice Michalek gets and he is playing some of the worst hockey I have seen in awhile.

Maclean is such a hypocrite. "After 30 games, you are what you are", yet he STILL runs Michalek out there in the SO and gives guys like Hoffman scraps of ice time in favour of Michalek.

Michalek is finished, and has shown no signs of progress. When will Mac wake up and smell the ****.

The vets are absolutely brutal this year. Time for guys like Hoffman to play regular shifts.

Derivation

Jan 4, 2010
Brutal.

Embarrassing how much ice Michalek gets and he is playing some of the worst hockey I have seen in awhile.

Maclean is such a hypocrite. "After 30 games, you are what you are", yet he STILL runs Michalek out there in the SO and gives guys like Hoffman scraps of ice time in favour of Michalek.

Michalek is finished, and has shown no signs of progress. When will Mac wake up and smell the ****.

The vets are absolutely brutal this year. Time for guys like Hoffman to play regular shifts.

QFT.

First Cheechoo, and now Michalek's career is over. Unfortunate but at least unlike Cheech we got a couple productive seasons out of Milan including 1 30+ goal season to peek his career, and now he is in free fall mode. Unfortunate really, Spezza, Turris, Ryan, MacArthur, Zibanejad, and now with Michaelk shi*ting the bed we are 1 forward short of a top 6.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Michalek actually from the get-go went with Michalek on the 2nd line and never game Hoffman much of a chance to do anything. I do not think MacLean was happy with his performance the past 2 games. I pointed out last game he got in the way of Turris and Ryan a lot and I think MacLean wanted to try Michalek there for 2 potent lines.

Hoffman's lack of ice-time could also be directly responsible for the Kassian being inserted into the line-up. It essentially made us role 3 lineups and Hoffman was one of the odd mans out.

Not sure I agree, last night I think the penalty parade affected his ice time.

MacLean was juggling the bottom six after Smith missed 12 minutes of the second, then Neil was gone for two minutes in the second and over half the third period.

Hoffman has been OK, unfortunately for him Turris and Ryan are on a bit of a downswing and it makes it double tough on a rookie on that line.

I really believe this is why MacLean put Michalek with Turris and Ryan to try and get them going again, nothing to do with Hoffman's play.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I really can't believe some of the comments here. Outside of Zibby ( who is elite) this management team has done a horrendous job with the sens young talent. Hoffman is the latest to fall into this category. You have to give a guy a fighting chance. Two games is not a fighting chance. Hoffman is a 24 year old player who the sens need to make a decision on at the end of the year. He needs to given ample opportunity to prove himself. I laugh at people who think they have it figured out already. WHO KNOWS until he gets a proper opportunity.

Horrendous? Smith, Condra, Greening, Butler, Winchester, Pageau, Borowieski, Karlsson, Silfverberg, Zibanejad, Lehner, Elliott, Filatov all got a fair shake and most of these guys are or looking to be nhl players :S

if anything this organization has done a really good job of bringing up youth and most of the league knows it

Hoffman got almost 14 mins the two games before. That is more than enough and he will probably get that same amount if we dont get so many powerplays and pk.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
QFT.

First Cheechoo, and now Michalek's career is over. Unfortunate but at least unlike Cheech we got a couple productive seasons out of Milan including 1 30+ goal season to peek his career, and now he is in free fall mode. Unfortunate really, Spezza, Turris, Ryan, MacArthur, Zibanejad, and now with Michaelk shi*ting the bed we are 1 forward short of a top 6.

Michalek was the best player on the Turris line last night IMO.

IMO the problem is MacLean insists on tearing apart everything in hopes he can get Spezza going and so far the only thing that has happened is the Turris line is now as ineffective as Spezza's line.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Such bad bad management of this kid. Plays one game, full of nerves and whatnot, and doesn't look half bad, then he plays 4 mins the next.

Why not give him a legit chance?

He's just getting his feet wet. It'll take at least a couple of games for him to get comfortable.

He was the 2nd leading scorer in the AHL after all, he deserves a better change than the one that's being given to him.

he had two games with 14 mins and also got to play with the top line for most of it. He has been invisible for all 3 games imo

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Michalek was the best player on the Turris line last night IMO.

IMO the problem is MacLean insists on tearing apart everything in hopes he can get Spezza going and so far the only thing that has happened is the Turris line is now as ineffective as Spezza's line.

Turris has been ineffective for 12 games now...nothing to do with Macarthur moving in the last couple of games

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Horrendous? Smith, Condra, Greening, Butler, Winchester, Pageau, Borowieski, Karlsson, Silfverberg, Zibanejad, Lehner, Elliott, Filatov all got a fair shake and most of these guys are or looking to be nhl players :S

if anything this organization has done a really good job of bringing up youth and most of the league knows it

Hoffman got almost 14 mins the two games before. That is more than enough and he will probably get that same amount if we dont get so many powerplays and pk.

I don't think he meant a poor job or drafting or developing at the AHL level.

The fact is the Sens don't have many prospects available that project to be top six forwards, Hoffman, Conacher and possibly Da Costa, Pageau and Prince.

So to play the two guys that are closest to ready in the organization 6-8 minutes a game on the fourth line doesn't really make much sense from a developmental perspective.

To make those decision even more questionable is the fact that this team isn't a playoff contender, the D is too young, the goaltending average, and the top veterans playing below expectations.

Add to this the fact that it is highly unlikely the Sens even offer Michalek a contract at the end of this year.

So having Conacher or Hoffman play limited minutes a season before they may have to take on a larger role is questionable IMO.

Of course Murray can always go the free agent route but that isn't called development and of course who knows what level of player he can get on his budget!

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Turris has been ineffective for 12 games now...nothing to do with Macarthur moving in the last couple of games

So has Ryan, the missing piece is Mac, don't underestimate what he was bringing to that line with his speed and experience.

It is also worth noting that Mac was ineffective with Spezza for the most part until MacLean moved Zibby to that line.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012

The fact is the Sens don't have many prospects available that project to be top six forwards, Hoffman, Conacher and possibly Da Costa, Pageau and Prince.

Hoffman, Prince, Pageau, Puempel, Stone, Lazar...

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
he had two games with 14 mins and also got to play with the top line for most of it. He has been invisible for all 3 games imo

I think you posted the Turris slump is 12 games now??

Hard for a rookie to make an impact when his linemates are slumping, Hoffman has been fine.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Hoffman, Prince, Pageau, Puempel, Stone, Lazar...

I did say available, meaning now.

You are being optimistic if you think Prince, Puempel or Lazar are ready.

Stone should be close but with his injuries I am not sure were he is at in his development. He has only played 12 games this year.

Pageau is a center and I doubt he is being looked at as a replacement for Spezza, Turris or Smith in the near future and Lazar is still in junior.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
You are being optimistic if you think Prince, Puempel or Lazar are ready.

Stone should be close but with his injuries I am not sure were he is at in his development. He has only played 12 games this year.

Pageau is a center and I doubt he is being looked at as a replacement for Spezza, Turris or Smith in the near future and Lazar is still in junior.

You said prospects that "project to be top six forwards".

They all project to be top six forwards.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Are you an expert? Do you think you know more about how to handle Ottawa's prospects than the professionals? What experience do you have to say this? My guess ... zero. Hoffman has played with Spezza & with Turris, the top two lines, maybe not as long as you think he should have but he has & has had an opportunity. Conacher has had more opportunity than anyone & still has done nothing with the opportunity but people keep defending him.

It's up to the player to make a difference not the coach. It's the player who must take the responsibility upon himself to make a difference in the time he has. Hoffman like Conacher like SDC like so many others have not made a difference when they have been in the lineup. I watch them & they skate around but just don't seem to get involved enough, they don't do anything that makes them stand out including scoring. Hoffman has been put in a position to succeed by the coach & he has yet to respond. Grant I thought at least made a difference defensively in his limited ice time & was not scoring but preventing goals against, something this team needs.

It could be that they are just not good enough or meant to play at this level, might as well find out now & try someone else. My guess is that Stone will be that one guy that makes a difference once they finally decide to bring him up. BTW Babcock said the other day that a player's resume bears weight which maybe why Michalek gets more opportunity than any of the new guys, he's done it before.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Brad-Marsh/Being-a-Pro-On-and-Off-Ice/197/56184

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012

So to play the two guys that are closest to ready in the organization 6-8 minutes a game on the fourth line doesn't really make much sense from a developmental perspective.

To make those decision even more questionable is the fact that this team isn't a playoff contender, the D is too young, the goaltending average, and the top veterans playing below expectations.

Add to this the fact that it is highly unlikely the Sens even offer Michalek a contract at the end of this year.

So having Conacher or Hoffman play limited minutes a season before they may have to take on a larger role is questionable IMO.

Of course Murray can always go the free agent route but that isn't called development and of course who knows what level of player he can get on his budget!

You answered before I got to it. But yes this is pretty much what I'm saying. As we fall out of it we will probably see a change in the strategy towards seeing what some of our prospects can do.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Grant scored 2 points in 20 games played, hoffman has played two games, i say give him the same sample size as grant and see how he does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad