Mike Green

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Deaner

Mar 6, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
Flames Draft Watcher said:
And plenty of them struggle to contain guys like Forsberg, Bertuzzi, Tkachuk, Iginla, etc. It's a common problem for d-men with average size. And that's why they need excellent skating, skills and hockey sense to compensate for their lack of leverage/strength.

Some smaller d-men have tremendous core strength and upper body strength which can actually make them stronger in one-on-one confrontations. Andrew Ference is an example. At 5'10 he's a small d-man but he's stronger and more stable on his skates than many a d-men that has a couple inches on him. At this point Green certainly doesn't have that kind of strength to height ratio and I don't believe he'll add it which I why I see him struggling to physically contain NHL sized powerforwards. This will limit his minutes at the NHL level and thus his upside IMO.

Comparing Green's size with the size of four Calgary Flames d-men:

Mike Green: 6'1 200 lbs. as a 19 year old

Steve Montador: 6'0" 200 lbs.
Toni Lydman: 6'1" 200 lbs.
Andrew Ferrence: 5'10" 196 lbs
Jordan Leopold: 6'1" 205 lbs
Rhett Warrener: 6'2'' 217 lbs.

Again Green is a 19 year old, he will get bigger and stronger than he already is. By the time he reaches the NHL (3-5 YEARS) he'll probably be 210 lbs. and might reach 6'2. That means he will be bigger than all of the d-men listed but Warrener, who IMO is one of the toughest d-men in the league. I wouldn't worry about Green's size.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Big Deaner said:
Comparing Green's size with the size of four Calgary Flames d-men:

Mike Green: 6'1 200 lbs. as a 19 year old

Steve Montador: 6'0" 200 lbs.
Toni Lydman: 6'1" 200 lbs.
Andrew Ferrence: 5'10" 196 lbs
Jordan Leopold: 6'1" 205 lbs
Rhett Warrener: 6'2'' 217 lbs.

Again Green is a 19 year old, he will get bigger and stronger than he already is. By the time he reaches the NHL (3-5 YEARS) he'll probably be 210 lbs. and might reach 6'2. That means he will be bigger than all of the d-men listed but Warrener, who IMO is one of the toughest d-men in the league. I wouldn't worry about Green's size.

I question whether that 6'1 figure is accurate. Because he doesn't look that tall out there to me.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
Flames Draft Watcher said:
I question whether that 6'1 figure is accurate. Because he doesn't look that tall out there to me.

well....if you question his size listing, you have to question most/all players.....I know that used to go on all the time, and I imagine it still does to some degree......but still......

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Mothra said:
well....if you question his size listing, you have to question most/all players.....I know that used to go on all the time, and I imagine it still does to some degree......but still......

I do question most players. Best way to go is compare size on ice IMO. You get a much better feel for how big/strong a player is from watching them than you would from reading their supposed height and weight.

Gardebut30

Jun 8, 2004
EroCaps said:
If he was a bad skater and possessed no puck skills I'd agree with you.

There are plenty of successfull 6'0-6'1 d-men.

saying mccarthy is a bad skater and has no puck skills is really stupid. i'm not saying mccarthy will have a better career than green but cmon.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
You know that the game has gone to hel when we start questioning the size of somebody like Brendan Witt! :amazed:

He's listed as 6-2, 231 for God sakes. If we've reached a point where guys like Witt just aren't big enough to play defense, then this sport is headed for an even bigger downfall than what we are currently experiencing in the NHL. How much bigger do we want these guys to get?

If Brendan Witt didn't have size, he wouldn't be playing in the NHL, so yes he IS big enough to play as a defensive defenseman in the league.

Sammy*

gardebut30 said:
saying mccarthy is a bad skater and has no puck skills is really stupid. i'm not saying mccarthy will have a better career than green but cmon.
No kidding . What an idiotic comment. Mcarthy was a heck of alot better prospect coming out of junior than Green & has wonderful skating & puck skills. I dare say Mcarthy could skate circles around Green.
Btw,Erocaps, if you dont have a clue about a player, best to keep your mouth shut.

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
Jag68Vlady27 said:
If Brendan Witt didn't have size, he wouldn't be playing in the NHL, so yes he IS big enough to play as a defensive defenseman in the league.

Witt is an average NHL defenseman. He certainly belongs in the league.

I've watched Witt for 10 years and my judgment is that he's 6'1" or under. I'm sure he's as strong as a horse. The point of this is to answer why Green fell to the end of the round. My speculation is that if he were 6'3" he would have gone 10-15 overall.

I'm a Caps fan and am very pleased with Green's development. I can't wait to see the kid. If Green works hard and is determined to be the best hockey player he can be it sounds like he'll make it.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
pavel datsyuk said:
Kaspar, Stevens, Witt, Leopold, Lydman, Wesley, Spacek, Zubov, Chelios, Staois, Van Ryn, Hill, Vishnovski, Schultz...to name a few.

He actually reminds me a lot of Bob Rouse. Nothing spectacular, but very steady.

This is the most random assortment of comparables I've ever seen. How on earth can someone remind you of both Brendan Witt and Sergei Zubov? Scott Stevens and Jordan Leopold?

He sure as hell looks smaller than 6'1" on the ice. But at the same time, CSB has him listed at 6'1.5 202, and that is an official measurement.

Dunno what the future holds for him. Doubt he'll be a top-end sort but chances are good he has the skill/grit/smarts to be a decent complementary 4-5 guy.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
MS said:
This is the most random assortment of comparables I've ever seen. How on earth can someone remind you of both Brendan Witt and Sergei Zubov? Scott Stevens and Jordan Leopold?

He sure as hell looks smaller than 6'1" on the ice. But at the same time, CSB has him listed at 6'1.5 202, and that is an official measurement.

Dunno what the future holds for him. Doubt he'll be a top-end sort but chances are good he has the skill/grit/smarts to be a decent complementary 4-5 guy.

Reading is fundamental.

he was pointing out defenseman who are decent in the NHL who aren't gigantic.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Sammy said:
No kidding . What an idiotic comment. Mcarthy was a heck of alot better prospect coming out of junior than Green & has wonderful skating & puck skills. I dare say Mcarthy could skate circles around Green.
Btw,Erocaps, if you dont have a clue about a player, best to keep your mouth shut.

Wrong McCarthy. Thanks for the advice, I'll get right on it.

Sammy*

EroCaps said:
Wrong McCarthy. Thanks for the advice, I'll get right on it.
I kind of curious as to what Steve McCarthy you thought FDW was referring to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad