News Article: Mike Fisher thinking of retiring in 2015

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Hope he retires a Pred. He was a great pickup overall. Hopefully Watson is well in place by then.
Sadly, I think we'll be really lucky if Watson comes close to putting up Fisher numbers. :(

Can't say I blame him. I'd rather give up the nightly risk of bodily harm to spend more time with Carrie too. Shoot, why wait til 2015?

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
Future front office position? Would be a great face for the organization.

He may get offered one, but I doubt he'd take many hours at this point. If he does hang them up, a big part of it will be wanting to be a family man, which will likely mean taking care of children and maybe even following Carrie on tour. He may take a position, but I doubt he wants anything that ties him down.

Unrelated: Fisher is one guy that, even if we rebuild, I want to keep. Seems like a quality guy and is the kind of person I would want teaching our young guys how to win. Plus, trading him away from his wife would be cruel when he's this close to retirement (unless he asks for a shot at a cup, of course).

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
He may get offered one, but I doubt he'd take many hours at this point. If he does hang them up, a big part of it will be wanting to be a family man, which will likely mean taking care of children and maybe even following Carrie on tour. He may take a position, but I doubt he wants anything that ties him down.

Unrelated: Fisher is one guy that, even if we rebuild, I want to keep. Seems like a quality guy and is the kind of person I would want teaching our young guys how to win. Plus, trading him away from his wife would be cruel when he's this close to retirement (unless he asks for a shot at a cup, of course).

Didn't think it had to be intensive, even just a PR/Outreach role with the organization that has him periodically showing up to stuff.

Does this change the choice to trade or re-sign Legwand now?

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
Didn't think it had to be intensive, even just a PR/Outreach role with the organization that has him periodically showing up to stuff.

At this point, 8 of our 12 "normal" forwards are true centers (Legwand, Fisher, Smith, Wilson, Cullen, Spaling, Gaustad, Hendricks), plus Watson looks about ready. If Leggy will sign at a discount for a year or two, cool, but we can sustain the loss of Legwand, Fisher, and Cullen in the next two years and, even with no outside acquisitions (which we would make), run Wilson-Smith-Watson-Gaustad and be fine.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007

no. Legwand and Fisher were both supposed to be our top centers when it looked like we were entering a "window" starting in 11-12.

Then Suter, Radulov, SK, and Erat all bailed, Wilsons development stalled, and what was going to be our "window" has turned into a rebuild.

Unless he is willing to sign for very little money or for only one or at most two years, Legwand should be done here...

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Figured he would play for another few years wow.

Would ideally like to see Smith or Wilson return to center but they've been playing so well lately I would be hesitant in disturbing their progression.

INDhockeyfan

Apr 6, 2012
This means we have to sign legwand

Not really as Fisher just says he's thinking about it. A year from now he may change his mind as how many players say they'll retire and don't. Trading Legwand may actually force Poile to go out and get us a top 6 center that is better then both of them. Leggy is the same age as Fisher and while he hasn't been as beat up as Fish he's never made it past the 2nd round and the team is years away from any cup contention.
If I was Leggy I'd want to get traded to a cup contender at the deadline and see what happens in free agency.

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
I'd let Fisher retire as a Pred unless he asks to be traded, he's earned that much.

Even with this I don't think it changes the need to trade Legwand, if Gaustad isn't going anywhere and the need to give Watson a place to play then the team really needs to use this changing of the guard to get genuine offensive threats for the top two centre roles. Legwand has done an admirable job of trying to be useful, but the Preds have plenty of responsible grinders, now's the time to use freed up cap and roster space to renovate into a more offensive forward corps with the goaltending and defense largely set.

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
Gf told me about an article about fish and Carrie having some marital stress.. Mainly about the rigors of their professional schedules. I bet fish is done after next season but atl stays involved with the franchise . He is a great ambassador for the sport and the Preds

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
Most athletes at the top level of any sport find it very hard to walk away before being forced out by either injuries or declining ability. Fisher may be one of the few that will be able to do it but I wouldn't bet on it.

Fisher is a warrior though. A real shinning example for any young guy that is trying to make it. I hope he stays for a long time even if he isn't lacing them up anymore.

sooner

Jan 8, 2009
Gf told me about an article about fish and Carrie having some marital stress.. Mainly about the rigors of their professional schedules. I bet fish is done after next season but atl stays involved with the franchise . He is a great ambassador for the sport and the Preds

The original story came from the National Enquirer and Star magazines. They also say every year after the CMA awards that Brad Paisley and Carrie are having an affair. They're not exactly reliable sources but online blogs will take anything and run with it.

Mike said in an interview last week that he has the green light from Carrie if he wants to play past next season. He doesn't want his body so torn up that he can't play with his future kids.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad