Mike Bossy is a class act (video message to ovechkin)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
the Stanley Cup comment is brutal even though I know he didn't mean it

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
Met Bossy once, very nice guy. The SC comment wasn't arrogant at all, he's encouraging him. He wouldn't be 21th if it wasn't for his injury though; I even wonder if he would be 1st. 320 goals from age 30 to 40 is something I could see him doing. He had at least 2 60 goals season in him if healthy, which would put him near 700 at 32. Whatever, congrats to OV. 574 goals in today's game is very hard to attain.

Last edited:

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Mike Bossy is the only guy in the history of hockey Wayne Gretzky hates.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011

I can't find the quote right now but apparently he once said something along the lines of "Bossy is/was a great player but I wouldn't want to have a beer with him". They had some feud IIRC over something Bossy said/did. It was talked on the History section few times.

Whaleafs

“The Leafs are mulch again”
Mar 24, 2017
HFX
I can't find the quote right now but apparently he once said something along the lines of "Bossy is/was a great player but I wouldn't want to have a beer with him". They had some feud IIRC over something Bossy said/did. It was talked on the History section few times.

It's the opposite. Bossy "hates" or, rather, dislikes Gretzky. From Wikipedia:

"Bossy has harboured some animosity towards Wayne Gretzky and the Edmonton Oilers, stating that the Islanders got little recognition for their dynasty (1980–83) compared to the Canadiens (1976–79) or Oilers (1984–90). Bossy complained "I do a lot of promoting for how good [the Islanders] were...We never got one millionth of the recognition we should. We had a very low-key organization. They didn't want guys doing too much, because they thought the hockey might suffer. People don't talk about us in the first mention of great teams." During Gretzky's interview with the New York Post in 1993, he praised Bossy as the best right-winger ever to play, saying that their scoring totals would have been even higher if the two had played together. (They nearly did; in the 1977 WHA Amateur Draft, Bossy was selected by the Indianapolis Racers, who one year later would become Gretzky's first pro team.) Bossy's response in the Post was not complimentary, as he pointed out that their playing styles were different, and also said that Trottier was the best centre in hockey. Gretzky did not comment on that at the time; however, years later in his autobiography he reiterated that Bossy was a great player, but "I sure wouldn't want to ride in a cab with that guy." "

Last edited by a moderator:

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Bossy seemed sour that Gretzky and the Oilers showed up and stole his thunder.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011

"Bossy has harboured some animosity towards Wayne Gretzky and the Edmonton Oilers, stating that the Islanders got little recognition for their dynasty (1980–83) compared to the Canadiens (1976–79) or Oilers (1984–90). Bossy complained "I do a lot of promoting for how good [the Islanders] were...We never got one millionth of the recognition we should. We had a very low-key organization. They didn't want guys doing too much, because they thought the hockey might suffer. People don't talk about us in the first mention of great teams." During Gretzky's interview with the New York Post in 1993, he praised Bossy as the best right-winger ever to play, saying that their scoring totals would have been even higher if the two had played together. (They nearly did; in the 1977 WHA Amateur Draft, Bossy was selected by the Indianapolis Racers, who one year later would become Gretzky's first pro team.) Bossy's response in the Post was not complimentary, as he pointed out that their playing styles were different, and also said that Trottier was the best centre in hockey. Gretzky did not comment on that at the time; however, years later in his autobiography he reiterated that Bossy was a great player, but "I sure wouldn't want to ride in a cab with that guy." "

Ahh, yeah the last quote is what I meant. I meant my first comment as a joke considering how much praise Gretzky always gives to every player. Him saying "I sure wouldn't want to ride in a cab with that guy" is practically telling he's going to eat his babies in context of Gretzky quotes. :laugh:

Reactions: Whaleafs

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Bossy seemed sour that Gretzky and the Oilers showed up and stole his thunder.

Yeah. It always came off as bit petty to me. Although, the greatest athletes (and make no mistake Bossy is one of the greats) are usually very competitive and I get why Bossy might have been bit sour about Gretzky.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Nice of Bossy. I find that he comes across as pretty aloof in interviews, but I enjoy his bluntness.

Nice Gretzky quote. He always says that Howe is the best of all time, and yet Bossy is the best RW.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Nice of Bossy. I find that he comes across as pretty aloof in interviews, but I enjoy his bluntness.

Nice Gretzky quote. He always says that Howe is the best of all time, and yet Bossy is the best RW.
From the way Gretzky talks, everyone is the best anything ever. Wouldn't be surprised if he said Steve Smith's goal on his own net was the best goal ever.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012

None of these quotes from Bossy reveal any animosity toward Gretzky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad