Mike Babcock and Tim Murray

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I think alot of this is going to depend on McClellan and/or how deep detroit goes in the playoffs.

If McClellan is let go and him and Murray work, I could see it being a good fit.

If Detroit goes deep in the playoffs, Terry and Kim might get impatient and want someone sooner rather than later.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Lol TM doesn't **** around, wonder if this deal already isn't in place.

Same goes for RoR, if the trade gets done its because he already had good vibes coming from RoR agent.

without permission that would be illegal

Also money is not a constraint for MLSE either.

jamers

bleep bop bloop
Sep 17, 2011
Also money is not a constraint for MLSE either.

Difference of course being that Buffalo is (ostensibly) farther along in a rebuild than Toronto, and thus closer to success.

Unless Toronto wins the draft lottery, I don't put much stock in Babcock going there.

The Ugly Truth*

Given how many unbelievable prospects the Sabres have in their organization (and about to add more!) coming to Buffalo is his best bet. He would be able to walk into an organization that is capable of potentially winning several Cups over the next decade. That would look good on his resume, though I don't think whoever comes here and becomes coach deserves a lot of the credit for any future successes.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
picture johan larsson and zemgus girgensons

now picture them being coached by babcock

I did, just like I pictured him with
Reinhart and Ristolanien.

I'm not sure if he would be willing to take the challenge of pretty much molding an organization of young players like we have from scratch.

RocSabres

Jul 21, 2014
Quick question for you guys. If Babcock goes to another team other than re-upping in Detroit or signing with Buffalo, lets say he goes to Toronto or Philly (purely speculative). Do you think a move on the market like that also takes McClellan off the market as well as he would then probably be favorite to take over for Babcock in Detroit where he worked before as an assistant over Babcock.

Thoughts?

RiotAct

Panickin' 4 Hanifin
Feb 28, 2007
Old Dominion State
though I don't think whoever comes here and becomes coach deserves a lot of the credit for any future successes.

gordon-ramsay-money-trouble.gif

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
Given how many unbelievable prospects the Sabres have in their organization (and about to add more!) coming to Buffalo is his best bet. He would be able to walk into an organization that is capable of potentially winning several Cups over the next decade. That would look good on his resume, though I don't think whoever comes here and becomes coach deserves a lot of the credit for any future successes.

Well, hell, the Sabres should put out an ad on Craig's List if winning is that easy.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
People keep mentioning a 5 million dollar contract as being the big, crazy deal that wins Babs, by someone.

I really think it's going to be way more than that. Honestly, if Babcock wants to set a new precedent for coach contracts and two big money owners are willing to open up the safe for him, what's stopping his dead from getting to 10 million?

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
People keep mentioning a 5 million dollar contract as being the big, crazy deal that wins Babs, by someone.

I really think it's going to be way more than that. Honestly, if Babcock wants to set a new precedent for coach contracts and two big money owners are willing to open up the safe for him, what's stopping his dead from getting to 10 million?

He's not getting 10 million dollars.

The Ugly Truth*

You've never coached hockey, have you?

Those of us who have laugh at how much those who haven't overrate the importance of coaching.

Put Babcock behind the bench of the 2014-15 Sabres and put Nolan behind the bench of the 2014-15 Ducks. What do you think the records will be? Here's a clue: Babcock's team isn't going to do very well.

:sarcasm:

The Ugly Truth*

Well, hell, the Sabres should put out an ad on Craig's List if winning is that easy.

The Sabres need a coach who knows how to DEVELOP young players. Not all coaches know how to do that. Babcock certainly has not shown the patience to suggest that's part of his skill set. He's someone that is a good fit for a team that has a lot of skilled veterans. That's pretty much the opposite of what Buffalo's situation is. Still, in a couple of years the talent is going to be so overwhelming that it's hard to see the Sabres not contending for a Cup year after year. No matter who the coach is.

Kublakhan

Lets Go Buffalo !!!
Jan 24, 2013
North Tonawanda

a team can not start at more of a bottom then the Sabres are now, why would not a future coach claim credit for success ??

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas

Those of us who have laugh at how much those who haven't overrate the importance of coaching.

Put Babcock behind the bench of the 2014-15 Sabres and put Nolan behind the bench of the 2014-15 Ducks. What do you think the records will be? Here's a clue: Babcock's team isn't going to do very well.

You coaching the peewee team at the rink down the road isn't the same as what an NHL head coach has to do.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
The Sabres need a coach who knows how to DEVELOP young players. Not all coaches know how to do that. Babcock certainly has not shown the patience to suggest that's part of his skill set. He's someone that is a good fit for a team that has a lot of skilled veterans. That's pretty much the opposite of what Buffalo's situation is. Still, in a couple of years the talent is going to be so overwhelming that it's hard to see the Sabres not contending for a Cup year after year. No matter who the coach is.

Well then, in two years we can place that add on Craig's List.

schpaff

Sep 4, 2005

Do you know anything about how Detroit develops players?

You may want to look into that.

Last edited:

Kublakhan

Lets Go Buffalo !!!
Jan 24, 2013
North Tonawanda

I hate to do it.... But does coaching a team like the Wheatfield Blades at Sabreland even close to coaching a NHL or even any pro league team ?? lol :help:

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
I hate to do it.... But does coaching a team like the Wheatfield Blades at Sabreland even close to coaching a NHL or even any pro league team ?? lol :help:

You coaching the peewee team at the rink down the road isn't the same as what an NHL head coach has to do.

that's not the point. I don't think. Though I disagree about Babcock, I don't think you can ever understate the value of a good coach

If you've coached the sport at any level that contains competitiveness, you're pretty aware of how valuable a coach is to the success of a hockey team. You've been a part of it, and things that hockey coaches do to speak on their importance carry weight at every level across every country.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
Difference of course being that Buffalo is (ostensibly) farther along in a rebuild than Toronto, and thus closer to success.

Unless Toronto wins the draft lottery, I don't put much stock in Babcock going there.

Toronto fired the GM too though. If Babcock wants more control, they have a gaping hole right now, could be coach & co-GM with Shanny maybe. Who knows, if they don't trade away their core and Babs can get them to buy in, Leafs become a retool instead of a rebuild.

The Ugly Truth*

a team can not start at more of a bottom then the Sabres are now, why would not a future coach claim credit for success ??

The biggest predictor of success for a coach is their roster. While there are coaching techniques that can minimize the influence of skill (remember NJ's use of The Trap), there have not been many significant advances in (non-goalie) coaching technique/systems over the past decade. Any coach in the NHL should be familiar with the standard ways of dealing with different systems. Successfully implementing these methods is dependent on skill level and player motivation.

One of the main differences between an "average" coach and an "elite"coach is their ability to motivate players to buy into the team's system. The reason for high turnover in coaching staffs isn't because good coaches suddenly become bad. The most common reason coaches get fired is if their roster is substandard, thus producing poor results which management then needs to find a scapegoat for. The other common reason coaches get fired is when they "lose the room" and are no longer able to keep the players adequately motivated to succeed. Did Barry Trotz become a “badâ€'coach last year? Is Sutter a “bad†coach this year?

Take a look at the players the Sabres have on their roster or in the pipeline. Most of their best players are under 25 years of age, with many being still in their teens. Coaching a team with this level of talent (once experienced) makes it easy to succeed. Please feel free to make more snide comments about posting ads for coaches on craigslist - are you from Philadelphia?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybTau3xWNgg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Should a coach feel that they're responsible for the success of a roster that has these players on it in two or three years:

Bogosian - 24
Ennis - 25
Foligno - 23
Girgensons - 21
Grigorenko - 20
Hodgson - 25
Kane - 23
Larsson - 22
Pysyk - 23
Ristolainen - 20
Zadorov - 19

+ free agent/trade signings

Eichel - 18 (just turned 18 five months ago, if you can believe it!)

Bailey - 19
Baptiste - 19
Compher - 20
Fasching - 19
McCabe - 21
Reinhart -19

Trade for some high end goaltending like Cory Schneider and a decent backup like Calvin Pickard or Antti Raanta and you're looking at a potential dynasty in the making. But NOT due to miraculous “coachingâ€.

The Ugly Truth*

Do you know anything about how Detroit develops players?

You may want to look into that.

Detroit is on the extreme end of the spectrum in terms of how long they keep players in the minors for development. That's not necessarily a good thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad