Value of: Mikael Granlund

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Poile seems bound to trade him so I’m curious what his value is. Personally I hope we sign him to a one year prove it deal. The guy oozes talent but just hasn’t quite gotten it together for us. Mind you he has possibly been our best player the last couple weeks so maybe he’s turnt a corner...
He did get traded right in the middle of his wife giving birth and then having to relocate, that’s a lot to put on anyone’s shoulders.

I was shocked when I read the post here saying Kreider is only rental that should return a first, considering Granny has been better than him basically every season he’s been in the league except this modern day one, which I guess counts the most. But the stats are there, this guy is super talented. I think he gets minimum a first or we hang onto him and hopefully resign him. Especially considering the first will be low as it would be from a buying team.

The only way I would be ok moving him is if it was part of a bigger package to finally get us a true number one centre. That’s consistent.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
I don't think any team would package a top 6 center for granlund unfortunately. However, I share your sentiment that I think Granlund could fetch a first. He has a previous track record of being a top line winger. You can't really say that about most of the other options. However, I can also see why a team would be reluctant to part with a first as he hasn't really been consistent and there are quite a few options out there in the winger category.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Granlund hasn't been scoring worth a damn since he went to NSH. He is not big, physical, nor fast. He plays a good, but not great two way game because of his physical limitations. He is overpaid for his production and will be a UFA at the end of this season. Until he proves that he can be the player he was from 2016-18( i.e.a legit 60+ pt. player), and not the mediocre middle six player(27 pts./65gp, or .41 PPG) that he has been for the last year, why would someone pay a 1st for him?

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Hopefully his improved scoring the past few weeks is enough to bump his value back where it belongs - in the realm of a 1st. Or I could imagine something like a Zuccarello scenario where there's a re-sign condition that potentially takes it there, say.

My biggest worry is more just that the Preds choose to hold onto him. That wouldn't be so bad if I knew we actually could re-sign him to a short "show me" deal for next season. But I don't see why he would feel he needs to take that, and I don't see how we could commit to another big term contract on him. The next 6 games remain a key anyway. Preds will have to go at least 4-2 prior to the deadline to realistically stay in the playoff race. Even then, it's a tall order. But I can see Poile preferring even long odds to a 2nd round draft pick. He might not be willing to Sell at all, alas. :(

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Like 2 weeks ago Preds fans were hoping Poile could just get a 3rd rounder out of him...

Even if he’s turned it on in the past handful of games I don’t think GMs will overlook his majority mediocre play this season.

No chance he fetches a 1st. A 2nd rounder maybe depending on the market. Likely a 3rd and a B+ prospect would be my guess.

He just hasn’t been that great and a little hot-streak before the trade deadline shouldn’t boost his price.

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
The only way I would be ok moving him is if it was part of a bigger package to finally get us a true number one centre. That’s consistent.

So you're suggesting Granlund + RyJo/Duchane for a better center? I dont think you'll find a team in the league with a better center that'd trade them for a downgrade just for one year of Granlund

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland
I would love NYR to make a move if he hits free agency. Rate him very highly.

In reference to OP, he would never sign a one year deal. He is way to good not to be offered a respectable deal. Say $6m x 5y maybe.

He really has hurt his next contract by his performances this season and also his trade value will have gone down as his to trade to Nashville has not worked out expected so he might be seen as a risk who cant adapt to change.

I will stick to what I said in the other Granlund thread, no way should Nashville consider becoming sellers. 6 points out of the wildcard spot with 4 games in hand over Arizona.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Odd premise in the OP.

Quality scoring centers are the hardest positional players to acquire and you're suggesting the Predators get one in a deal around a playoff rental?

As mentioned, a 2nd and prospect is probably in the higher end of what you can expect for Granlund.

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland
I was shocked when I read the post here saying Kreider is only rental that should return a first, considering Granny has been better than him basically every season he’s been in the league except this modern day one, which I guess counts the most.
I think you have to look at the bigger picture here as Nashville at this stage are not seen as sellers. On that basis, he is not on the trade bait list which would take him out of the trade discussion.

Nashville are still in a decent position to make a strong push for the playoffs so trading Granlund would be a bad decision unless Poile decides to give up on the season right now and just tank until April.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
NSH is in a tough spot. IMO, a 2nd is not enough of a win for them to move MiG, when they are on the cusp of making the Playoffs in a very weak Western conference. If a Central team can cross over to the West who knows how far they can go? NSH has the personnel...they just can't seem to make it work this year.

Reactions: Bringer of Jollity

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Nashville playoff odds are pegged around 35-45% right now. I'm not sure those are great odds. But they have been gradually trending down as we get closer and closer to the deadline. 6 more games where they probably just do their usual win one lose one show is probably not going to change the picture dramatically either way. Poile is going to have to decide if he feels lucky at those odds or not. And those watching the Preds this year are not confident that making the playoffs means anything, regardless of how weak the rest of the field is. The team has not played well all year. So more likely he has to decide if 40% odds of getting 2 home playoff gates is a big enough financial incentive or not. That vs. any value in trading away the remaining paychecks owed to Granlund, Smith, etc. I think the math should make a pretty strong case for Selling. But Poile is an optimist.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
It's a shame. He's turned it around since Laviolette got fired, but I don't know if it'll make a difference. If he keeps playing the way he has he'd be worth a first or a good contract, the fact that it took a year to find his groove really screws us over and we'll probably end up with a 2nd and an ok prospect.

TheeNorthStar

Ok, dis hockey
Jun 2, 2012
MSP
He was struggling way before NSH imo. I cant remember for certain but I'm pretty sure in his final year with the Wild, he went 39 games w/o scoring a goal and he was seen as our #1 offensive option. yikes.

I know wild fans adored him and he did play with heart and had a nack to deliver in high stakes games but outside of those moments -- I just never believed he was the guy wild fans made him out to be. thats just me though. If given the right situation Im sure he can return to his 2016-2018 years..

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Odd premise in the OP.

Quality scoring centers are the hardest positional players to acquire and you're suggesting the Predators get one in a deal around a playoff rental?

As mentioned, a 2nd and prospect is probably in the higher end of what you can expect for Granlund.

I said in a package. As another poster wrote above, something like granlund with Johansen and something else for an upgrade at centre of possible. You could even do a sign and trade with granny so it’s not a rental. Was just a thought anyhow.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
I said in a package. As another poster wrote above, something like granlund with Johansen and something else for an upgrade at centre of possible. You could even do a sign and trade with granny so it’s not a rental. Was just a thought anyhow.

I can't imagine that deal is out there.

If you're a playoff team and have a center better than Johansen why are you down grading to get Granlund?

I also don't think the extension angle has much appeal because interested teams probably figure he can be had in the summer.

Reactions: SwivelSchwartz

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Doubt this moves the needle, but Jost + Conditional 2nd (turns into a 1st if making it to the WCF or we re-sign him).

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
He was struggling way before NSH imo. I cant remember for certain but I'm pretty sure in his final year with the Wild, he went 39 games w/o scoring a goal and he was seen as our #1 offensive option. yikes.

I know wild fans adored him and he did play with heart and had a nack to deliver in high stakes games but outside of those moments -- I just never believed he was the guy wild fans made him out to be. thats just me though. If given the right situation Im sure he can return to his 2016-2018 years..
He was never going to be a big goal scorer to begin with. Part of the reason his play dropped off last year was because the team couldn't repeat the past years success. But he was still pacing around 50pts. Talon said it best when saying Granlund needs a big part of the offense to run through him. Some team is going to give him a prove it deal and I would bet more money on him returning to a 55-60pt winger than what he is now.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
I can't imagine that deal is out there.

If you're a playoff team and have a center better than Johansen why are you down grading to get Granlund?

I also don't think the extension angle has much appeal because interested teams probably figure he can be had in the summer.
Does not have to be a contender, could just be any team that is or isn’t in playoffs that would be willing to downgrade at centre to Johansen but gain a first and granlund or something while doing so.

If granlund is traded without sign and trade and is traded alone than for sure it’s to a contender. That’s the deal I don’t want to have happen though because he’s better than what we would get in return for him.

Hence why I wanted to package him if possible. If not than no harm no foul.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Granlund only tailed off in his final 20 games or so with the Wild. Before that he was PPG. The timing around the birth of his child might be coincidental, but? There was also a rumor of playing with an injury, but surely that healed over the summer, and they would've picked that up in his medical?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad