OT: Mikael Backlund

Confound

Vindication
Oct 28, 2010
Maine
I see he has 4 goals in 10 games so far this year.

Being a Bruins fan I rarely get to see the Flames play. But I've always been interested in him as a prospect, has he been injured a lot this year or something?

Is his upside top 6 still?

Nordberg

Sep 22, 2009
Landskrona
He's one of few bright spots so far every time I see him. He had a leg injury that kept him out for a good while though. He has just been a completely different player since he tore it up with Patrik Berglund for his hometown club during the lockout. He occasionally looks really dominant and has scored some nice goals. I don't think he will ever be a proper #1 center but he most certainly has top 6 upside.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
Bad luck through out his career in getting injuries everywhere.
Relentless on the puck has solid hands and has enough speed to catch defenders flat footed.
Went to Europe this year wanting to prove to his new coaching staff that he could score and out-produced Kopitar who was playing in the same league.

Came back scored 4 in 9 games and has been injured since then...

Yeah he has some good upside and I love watching him play but his bad luck just over shadows everything else atm

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013
Last season was a bad one for Backlund. I believe (and someone correct me if I'm wrong) that he broke his finger during training camp, and was never really able to play with confidence for the remainder of the season. I recall reading somewhere that Feaster was about to send to send him down to the Heat before he was injured again.

Anyways, Backlund playing in Europe did wonders for his game. He gained a lot of confidence and it showed when he came back before his MCL sprain. I believe if he keeps playing with confidence he is definitely a top 6 player.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I see he has 4 goals in 10 games so far this year.

Being a Bruins fan I rarely get to see the Flames play. But I've always been interested in him as a prospect, has he been injured a lot this year or something?

Is his upside top 6 still?

Yes he is right now a good #3 centermen, or a poor #2 and has been growing rather rapidly over the last year. He will most likely end up a decent #2 center that can put up 45-50 points a year.

Last edited:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Yes he is right now a good #3 defenseman, or a poor #2 and has been growing rather rapidly over the last year. He will most likely end up a decent #2 center that can put up 45-50 points a year.
well that explains why he can't win a faceoff :laugh:

TylerSVT*

Hopefully he can play a full season someday. 50pt guy for sure if he can.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
I have been a fan of his since the very beginning, and it blatantly obvious that he has taken a step forward this season. I said it a few days ago, and I will say it again. He is without a doubt our best three zone player. His puck pursuit is very good (specifically in the neutral zone) and he actually drives the play forward.

I thought he did a wonderful job containing Kopitar for most the night, and was not physically dominated like he would have been in the past.

Backlund and Brodie are the two lone bright spots for me on this season. It appears they actually give a **** out there, unlike the majority of our roster.

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
I have been a fan of his since the very beginning, and it blatantly obvious that he has taken a step forward this season. I said it a few days ago, and I will say it again. He is without a doubt our best three zone player. His puck pursuit is very good (specifically in the neutral zone) and he actually drives the play forward.

I thought he did a wonderful job containing Kopitar for most the night, and was not physically dominated like he would have been in the past.

Backlund and Brodie are the two lone bright spots for me on this season. It appears they actually give a **** out there, unlike the majority of our roster.

I agree. Backlund will be a key piece going forward. I'm a big fan of Backlund and have been since we drafted him.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I'm just glad the organization didn't give up on him. More than a few fans were ready to throw in him under a bus after last season, which never really made any sense.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
I'm just glad the organization didn't give up on him. More than a few fans were ready to throw in him under a bus after last season, which never really made any sense.

Some fans have been advocating to give up since his rookie season lol.. I knew he had it in him, definitely one of our best players this year.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011

Yeah, he was even one of the Flames' best forwards last season as well, bad scoring luck aside. It drove me nuts every time his name came up and people wanted to trade him for some other team's garbage or use him as a throw-in.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Some fans have been advocating to give up since his rookie season lol.. I knew he had it in him, definitely one of our best players this year.

Yeah, he was even one of the Flames' best forwards last season as well, bad scoring luck aside. It drove me nuts every time his name came up and people wanted to trade him for some other team's garbage or use him as a throw-in.

It's weird and terrible because for a fan base that has a lot of people within clamoring for a rebuild, there seems to be very little patience for actually developing prospects and living with the inevitable growing pains. Anytime a prospect veers off a linear growth curve, there's never a shortage of people ready to label them busts.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Currently on pace for roughly 44 points in a 82 game season, but the sample size is small. If he keeps it up, then likely 2.5-3M per season on a short-term bridge contract.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Currently on pace for roughly 44 points in a 82 game season, but the sample size is small. If he keeps it up, then likely 2.5-3M per season on a short-term bridge contract.

My one concern with Backs is that he seems a little injury-prone (although that may just be a run of bad luck; after all, finger injuries from slashes aren't recurring). Other than that, I think he's worth a long-term contract as the Flames' 2nd line C for the foreseeable future.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
I would be nice to see him sign a longer deal than 2 years. Mostly because Id like a Backlund Jersey...

BrodieGoat

May 24, 2012
3 years

1st year: 1.5m
2nd: 2m
3rd: 2.5 m

what do you think ?

Last edited:

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
I'm impressed with him. Seems like he's getting stronger and he looks hungrier too. A two year deal would be ideal. He's looked good but let's see what he can do over (hopefully) a full year next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad