Mika Zibanejad's future HOF odds?

tea

Mar 30, 2022
I think his career has gone a bit under the radar, well up until the last 2-3 years, but with his recent 8 year contract and the Rangers upward trend, I feel like he could build up a solid HOF career. His all-around play is very underrated, and with his proven ability to score in big games, it could only be a matter of time before he proves himself in the playoffs too. If he could keep scoring at the pace he has for the last 3-4 seasons for at least 4-5 more years, could he be a contender for a spot in the HOF?

PuckPoise

May 25, 2011
Has he ever even been top-10 for an individual award? One point-per-game season. Great player but usually need more than this even if he keeps it up at this level for a few more years, do you not?

Some good Swedish comparisons who are not/likely won't get into the Hall of Fame:

Markus Näslund - one MVP (Lindsay) year, three-time first-team all star
Daniel Alfredsson - many elite seasons, symbol of a franchise, longevity, international success
Nicklas Bäckström - a few more good scoring seasons, more team success, longevity

Zibanejad would likely need to elevate from here to be a Hall of Fame consideration.

Reactions: Yozhik v tumane

tea

Mar 30, 2022
Has he ever even been top-10 for an individual award? One point-per-game season. Great player but usually need more than this even if he keeps it up at this level for a few more years, do you not?

Some good Swedish comparisons who are not/likely won't get into the Hall of Fame:

Daniel Alfredsson - many elite seasons, symbol of a franchise, longevity, international success
Nicklas Bäckström - a few more good scoring seasons, more team success, longevity

Zibanejad would likely need to elevate from here to be a Hall of Fame consideration.
This kinda proves exactly how under the radar he's flown. In 2019-20 he was 30th in Selke voting, 8th in Byng voting, and finished 5th in goal scoring with 57 games, 13 less than Pastrnak. He had the best goal scoring pace, and 9th best points pace that year. The next year he started slow, most likely due to lingering covid effects, but in his final 29 games he had 21 goals, and 39 points, placing him 1st in goals through that time, and 3rd in points. This season he's once again had a stellar, +1 ppg campaign, this time helping his teammate Chris Kreider get in the rocket conversation. He probably also deserves to be top 10 in Selke voting this year, as he's been one of the best all-around forwards in the league.

The one problem Zibby has, and the reason he's so underrated is that he broke out very late, and it's no wonder. He didn't see too much icetime in Ottawa, though he showed a ton of promise with his gal scoring, and right after joining the Rangers he broke his foot. Once again, he didn't really see significant icetime until 2018-19, where he scored 30 goals and 74 points.

PuckPoise

May 25, 2011
This kinda proves exactly how under the radar he's flown. In 2019-20 he was 30th in Selke voting, 8th in Byng voting, and finished 5th in goal scoring with 57 games, 13 less than Pastrnak. He had the best goal scoring pace, and 9th best points pace that year. The next year he started slow, most likely due to lingering covid effects, but in his final 29 games he had 21 goals, and 39 points, placing him 1st in goals through that time, and 3rd in points. This season he's once again had a stellar, +1 ppg campaign, this time helping his teammate Chris Kreider get in the rocket conversation. He probably also deserves to be top 10 in Selke voting this year, as he's been one of the best all-around forwards in the league.

The one problem Zibby has, and the reason he's so underrated is that he broke out very late, and it's no wonder. He didn't see too much icetime in Ottawa, though he showed a ton of promise with his gal scoring, and right after joining the Rangers he broke his foot. Once again, he didn't really see significant icetime until 2018-19, where he scored 30 goals and 74 points.

Excellent player and hope he can keep this up for a few years now, but you don't get Hall of Fame inductions from Lady Byng votes or helping Chris Kreider get into the Rocket conversation. No disrespect towards Zibanejad, great career thus far and performing extremely well this season again. Just feels like a bit more is needed for a HoF case.

Reactions: Yozhik v tumane

tea

Mar 30, 2022
Excellent player and hope he can keep this up for a few years now, but you don't get Hall of Fame inductions from Lady Byng votes or helping Chris Kreider get into the Rocket conversation. No disrespect towards Zibanejad, great career thus far and performing extremely well this season again. Just feels like a bit more is needed for a HoF case.
true. I feel like his slow start is a bit why he doesn't really get consideration for awards. I mean despite that historic 2019-20 season he didn't get a single hart vote, and this year he's barely talked about in the media.

I don't think he's a genuine HOF candidate as it stands now, as you said you don't get in from Byng votes, but what I'm trying to say is he could potentially get some consideration in the future. If he does two things:

1st: win some individual awards. I think with another explosive goal scoring season like he had a few seasons ago, he could realistically win both a rocket, and get some hart consideration. If he also keeps improving defensively, he could also be a Selke contender, however I'm not sure that he'd be able to overshadow players like Barkov or Couturier in that category. I do think the Rocket is the most realistic award for him, as he's already proven he can catch fire and outscore absolutely anyone in the NHL. He'll definitely have to win 1-2 awards to be a serious HOF contender.

2nd: he needs some actual playoff success with the Rangers. This is probably the easiest for him to accomplish, as the Rangers look poised to be a great team for a long time to come, and he's of course got that big contract with them. If he can a cup or two with them, and play a big part in their playoff success that'll be crucial for a HOF bid. I do know if the Rangers do win a cup, any one of him, Panarin, Fox, Shesterkin, or even Kreider could win the Conn Smythe, and it's a little hard to see him winning it over someone like Fox or Shesty. Looking at the Lightning, Kucherov had two unreal 30+ point playoff runs, and lost out twice to Hedman and Vasy, so it'd probably take him scoring a significant amount of goals to even get close to a Conn Smythe on that Rangers team, and this is all assuming they do win a Cup, which while it does seem pretty likely they will within the next few seasons, it's not guaranteed at all.

If he does both those things, and scores somewhere around 1000-1100 points, and ~450 goals, which is entirely possible, he'd be hard to ignore when he retires.

Lastly, I do have to say he's one of my favorite players, as I've been following him since he played with my hometown team of Djurgården back in 2010. I think everyone saw his potential back then, and while it took some time, I'm just glad to see him thriving, and I wish he got more recognition outside of the Rangers community.

Ok that's enough rambling LMAO

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017

Scratch Alfredsson from that list. Two more to go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad