May 13, 2018
Victoria, BC
I go Horvat. Pretty close but:

Offense: Equal
Defense: Horvat
Physical Play: Zibenejad
Skating: Equal
Age/Potential: Horvat
Kind of the main things I typically judge in players but they're very close.

Last edited:

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago

Size: Zibenajad (because of height but per capita its Horvat)
Zib is def the better skater.

I rather have Horvat but I think Zib is currently slightly better

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland

Horvat isn't a good defensive player. I have hopes that he will get there but as of right now it is an area of weakness.

CP4

May 13, 2018
Victoria, BC
Horvat isn't a good defensive player. I have hopes that he will get there but as of right now it is an area of weakness.
Are we watching the same player? Horvat was basically drafted as a defensive center, known for his 2-way play.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Are we watching the same player? Horvat was basically drafted as a defensive center, known for his 2-way play.

Yes he was. I'm a Canucks fan who has watched almost every game he's played. Horvat has exceeded almost every expectation for him in terms of offensive production and skating. Although he has improved defensively, he has yet to establish himself as a good defensive player in the NHL. Given his junior pedigree, I hope that he can become a good two-way player one day.

Canucks Army Year in Review: Bo Horvat

CP4

May 13, 2018
Victoria, BC
Yes he was. I'm a Canucks fan who has watched almost every game he's played. Horvat has exceeded almost every expectation for him in terms of offensive production and skating. Although he has improved defensively, he has yet to establish himself as a good defensive player in the NHL. Given his junior pedigree, I hope that he can become a good two-way player one day.

I'm in the same boat as you, I've watched almost every game he's played too and I can tell you I've never seen him be a liability in his own end. Sure he has bad games like any player in the league but that doesn't make him poor defensivley.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Yup Horvat the past couple seasons has been a top line producer at every strength and is on track to being a ~65 point center.

But defensively he’s been below average relative to expectations, he’s improving though.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State

I don’t think offense is equal, Zibanejad has an absolutely elite shot

ESH

Jun 19, 2011

What does size have to do with being s better hockey player

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

I wouldn't go so far as to say Horvat is a "weak" defensive player anymore, but relative to where he's expected to play in the lineup, and relative to what he was "drafted to be"...he's not strong either. More like...slowly approaching a treading water sort of level defensively. There's an afterimage effect with Horvat where he's perceived as like Barkof Lite or something, when he really hasn't become that...yet. It's okay because offensively, he's massively exceeded expectations...but he's not the defensive ace he was drafted to be. At least, not yet. Though his work ethic and dedication seem to suggest he might eventually get there, or somewhere close. In the meantime though, the issue is sorta...

Zib is def the better skater.

I rather have Horvat but I think Zib is currently slightly better

This. Horvat has become a guy who can absolutely fly at top speed. It seems to bamboozle people into thinking he's an amazing skater now, but he still has some strong remnants of the slower footspeed that dogged him as a prospect, when it comes to that short area quickness and explosive acceleration. Which is, to my eye at least...the biggest source of problems in his defensive game right now. It's not that he doesn't know where to be, it's that 1v1, there are a lot of NHLers who can beat him in short areas. And like the Fast and the Furious, it often doesn't matter whether you win by an inch or a mile...if you lose a guy just before he scores a goal, you've got a defensive problem.

The real element that gives Horvat an edge for me in this poll, is actually his puck distributing ability.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Horvat. He’s probably been asked to do too much heavy lifting at a young age but given where the team is at there’s not much choice. He’s been asked to be a number one center and shut down players as well. Hopefully as Pettersson emerges some of the offensive pressure will be taken off him and he can concentrate on improving his defensive play.
He has such a great work ethic and has taken a big step every year since he was drafted. I expect he’ll take another step this year.

Westcoastsniper

Sep 25, 2008
I like Horvat, however he tries to do too much himself. Also like other posters said, he was drafted as a 2 way centre, but has been pretty average defensively so far. Not bad, but not great as well. Offensively he's getting better every season though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad