Player Discussion Mika Zibanejad

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Had to bump this.

He has looked better but boy do we need Mika to start producing. It will have a trickle down effect on the rest of the offense.

7th in PP% last year, 25th this year despite getting tons of chances as the same unit. Mika is the driver and we really need him.

It should come for him... right?

Reactions: mrhockey193195

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Chris Kreider was visibly agitated after last night’s game when someone asked about Mika Zibanejad’s lack of production. “He’s doing an unbelievable job defensively,” Kreider shot back. “He’s eating up the top players in the league and he’s not exactly getting the O-zone starts because he’s getting those tough matchups.”
Kreider concluded by saying, “I think he’s doing a bang up job and he’s doing everything to help our team win.” When he finished answering the question, you can see Kreider just looking in the sky agitated and shaking his head.

Sounds like a leader to me.

Source: Rangers Roundup: Games against Flyers likely to be postponed, Kreider not happy with Zibanejad criticism, and more - Forever Blueshirts: A site for New York Rangers fanatics

NYR3

Feb 8, 2021
If Zibanejad doesn't come through this season, do we explore trade options for him in the off season? Or do we take a chance and give him another season to rebound?

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019

WojtekWolski86

Nov 14, 2019
If Zibanejad doesn't come through this season, do we explore trade options for him in the off season? Or do we take a chance and give him another season to rebound?

Let's put something in perspective. Since Prime Messier and Gretzky's last dance the Rangers have been looking for a #1C.

Nedved - not a #1
Lindros - not the same player he once was
Nylander - 2 amazing years with Jagr but he was on the tail end of his career and we didn't want to commit long term to him
Drury - clearly not a #1 and overproduced in Buffalo, at best he was a nice #3c here
Gomez - never had the chemistry with Jagr and never replicated that year in NJ with Parise post lockout
Brassard - not a true #1

Mika - first Rangers center to hit 40 goals since 95/96. He has a bad start to a year with Covid, no camp, no details on how bad he had it (clearly couldn't skate with the team) and could have lost weight like some people and you want to jump ship on a soon to be 28 yr old that can pot 30-40 and play 200 ft? If anything this may save us a mil or 2 for his next contract. At worst Mika turns into a #2 two-way center. At best he is the NY version of Bergeron.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Well what do we expect him to say? "Yea Mika really needs to pick up his game out there, he's killing us"?

Kreider is another one who has been brutal offensively for the most part...4 points through 11 games? That's only 1 point better than Mika...
He could have said “he’s a good player, and we all go through lulls, but I’m sure he’s going to get back to scoring in no time.” He didn’t have to come to be so passionate or defensive in his response. He’s just proud to be a Ranger and protective of his teammates. With Lundqvist and Staal gone, he’s essentially the father of this group.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
1st line center's are expected to score. Sorry CK, but 'that defense tho' isn't a good response. I appreciate the passion though.

Last year's Mika's good defense led directly to chances the other way on the PK and 5 on 5. Not so much this year, not yet at least.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here

It will be an interesting debate if has a really bad year.

On one hand you could chalk it up to Covid, shortened season, shortened camp, etc. and could make a case that Gorts should try his best to extend a potentially elite #1 center on a multi-year deal for less than what we could have if he matched his output from 19-20.

On the other, you could say that 19-20 was an aberration and deal him this summer or at the deadline of 21-22, but you would be losing a #1 center who plays both ends of the rink.

I think for us, fortunately enough - this isnt his walk year. We are talking 10 games here, but if this were to continue it would be quite a discussion! I would expect Zib to not sign any extensions and give himself another shot to get back on the horse in 21-22.

I think regardless of how he finishes this season he gets a clean slate for next season. You don't give up on his kind of talent, especially when what you will get back for him at "reduced" value isnt going to replace his potential.

NYR3

Feb 8, 2021
Let's put something in perspective. Since Prime Messier and Gretzky's last dance the Rangers have been looking for a #1C.

Nedved - not a #1
Nylander - 2 amazing years with Jagr but he was on the tail end of his career and we didn't want to commit long term to him
Drury - clearly not a #1 and overproduced in Buffalo, at best he was a nice #3c here
Gomez - never had the chemistry with Jagr and never replicated that year in NJ with Parise post lockout
Brassard - not a true #1

Mika - first Rangers center to hit 40 goals since 95/96. He has a bad start to a year with Covid, no camp, no details on how bad he had it (clearly couldn't skate with the team) and could have lost weight like some people and you want to jump ship on a soon to be 28 yr old that can pot 30-40 and play 200 ft? If anything this may save us a mil or 2 for his next contract. At worst Mika turns into a #2 two-way center. At best he is the NY version of Bergeron.
Um, i'm just asking in general. Who the f*** said i want to move him?

WojtekWolski86

Nov 14, 2019

Um, i'm just asking in general. Who the f*** said i want to move him?

If you don't want to move him then why do you ask the question of exploring trade options?

Betelgeuse

Sep 21, 2018
It is great to see him stick up for Zibby but maybe the skeptic in me also sees CK indirectly standing up for himself given his production isn't much better. Might be preempting any criticism that's coming his way next.

Also COVID may be a reason for Zib but then I would expect his ice time to be low, which it isn't. At any given time these player's are surely facing hardships in their lives like any of us, COVID or otherwise, but without this information the expectation is that they can overcome it with support. Otherwise as fans we would never be able to discuss a player since we don't have 100% understanding of his body, mind, relationships, finances etc. Assumptions have to be made.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019

Nedved - not a #1
Brassard - not a true #1

There was also Brad Richards and Derek Stepan - those worked out a bit better for a while. Stephan was even elite for a season or two.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
I'd say we resign him to a team-friendly contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad