Mika Noronen vs Ryan Miller

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrossCheck

Feb 27, 2002
Hockey home, Canada
Visit site
How will those two guys fit together this year? Since the they are both ready to see more action in the bigs, how do you guys think this saga will end out?

Is Biron the guy out?
Is Noronen still a budding #1 goalie?
Is Miller still as high rated as he was few years ago?

Quick report on any of them would be pretty much interesting as I don't get to see Buffalo that often...

:dunno:

Digable5

Buffalo Proton (Positively Charged)
Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
CrossCheck said:
How will those two guys fit together this year? Since the they are both ready to see more action in the bigs, how do you guys think this saga will end out?

Is Biron the guy out?

Quick report on any of them would be pretty much interesting as I don't get to see Buffalo that often...

It looks like we are headed for another year of the three headed monster. Biron has signed for one year, and it looks like the No. 1 spot will be his to lose. And knowing Ruff, it may only take one bad game to lose his job. Unless Biron goes 82-0 his job will never be safe under Lindy.

Mika, had shown some flashes of being a number one guy, but is not ready yet. If Biron can play up to his ability for a full season, without Noronen or Miller out doing him, I think Noronen is most likely the odd man out. However, if Biron slips up a bit to start the season as he is prone to do, it wouldn't be much of a surprise to see Noronen get a few starts and possibly take over. I personnally feel motivation and determination are lacking from Noronen. Most of the time he just doesn't seem to care that he let in a goal. He has great ability, however, his lackidasical(spelling?) efforts seem to not only do him in, but makes the team in front of him not play as hard as well. Even when he plays well, his demeanor is ho-hum and the team doesn't feed off that like they do with Biron's energy. Even when Marty doesn't quite have it. He gets upset and the team appears to try harder.

Miller, has looked awful lately in the NHL, but the team in front of him wasn't any better. He's done pretty well in the AHL and last year had the best training camp. He could push to stay in the bigs again this year, but that would force the Sabres to keep three goalies on the roster, which they did at times last year, or trade one of them. Again, this wouldn't bode well for Noronen. If Miller and Mika step up before the season starts, Marty can still be shopped. One problem is that Miller hasn't signed for next year yet. I think he is fighting for a one way contract to make it harder for the team to send him down again this year.

Let the games begin! No, really. Please let the games begin(on time). Pleeeeeaaaaasssseeee!

Marchy79

Mar 1, 2003
Barrie
Visit site
CrossCheck said:

Is Biron the guy out?

I've read up in the THN 04-05 yearbook, and it flat out states that Miller is their go to goalie of the future, and in fact the Sabres were not entirely impressed with Biron (who struggled out of the gates, AGAIN :banghead: ) I'm not a sabre's fan, but as far as I could tell (and from what I've read) they are probably going with Biron-Noronen again... But Im not too sure, Miller might have to clear waivers to get sent down... I definately don't see Buffallo pulling that move...

They tried pulling the trigger on Biron last year, I cannot see them going with all 3 again... Here's where it gets confusing though, Miller was not too sharp (downright awful) in the show last year
(0 W, 3 L, 0 T) 5.06 GAA and 0.795 S%... They say Noronen got outplayed by Biron when the beans were on the table last year... and add Biron's bad starts to the seasons, and you got mass confusion in the crease for Buffalo... Personally, I really like Biron and thought he played like a starter should... Buffalo should unload one of Noronen or Miller, but the problem is... There's a possibility that one of the 2 will become next year's Kiprusoff, Ruff is taking the best approach by resigning Biron, probably to see what all 3 have in training camp, then making an educated decision on which 2 of the 3 to keep (I am almost positive one of them will have a new destination some time next season).

djhn579

Mar 11, 2003
Tonawanda, NY
Ghost # 1 said:
I've read up in the THN 04-05 yearbook, and it flat out states that Miller is their go to goalie of the future, and in fact the Sabres were not entirely impressed with Biron (who struggled out of the gates, AGAIN :banghead: ) I'm not a sabre's fan, but as far as I could tell (and from what I've read) they are probably going with Biron-Noronen again... But Im not too sure, Miller might have to clear waivers to get sent down... I definately don't see Buffallo pulling that move...

They tried pulling the trigger on Biron last year, I cannot see them going with all 3 again... Here's where it gets confusing though, Miller was not too sharp (downright awful) in the show last year
(0 W, 3 L, 0 T) 5.06 GAA and 0.795 S%... They say Noronen got outplayed by Biron when the beans were on the table last year... and add Biron's bad starts to the seasons, and you got mass confusion in the crease for Buffalo... Personally, I really like Biron and thought he played like a starter should... Buffalo should unload one of Noronen or Miller, but the problem is... There's a possibility that one of the 2 will become next year's Kiprusoff, Ruff is taking the best approach by resigning Biron, probably to see what all 3 have in training camp, then making an educated decision on which 2 of the 3 to keep (I am almost positive one of them will have a new destination some time next season).

I agree with just about everything you said. I think a lot of the early season problems have to do with the entire team not playing well. Miller played the first 2 games of the season, yet Buffalo didn't score a goal. By the end of the first half of the season, Biron and Noronen had essentially the same record, both ~.500.

The real unfortunate part is that we were thinking the three headed goalie situation was going to be resloved before last season, then before last seasons trading deadline, then by this years draft...

Marchy79

Mar 1, 2003
Barrie
Visit site
djhn579 said:
I agree with just about everything you said. I think a lot of the early season problems have to do with the entire team not playing well. Miller played the first 2 games of the season, yet Buffalo didn't score a goal. By the end of the first half of the season, Biron and Noronen had essentially the same record, both ~.500.

The real unfortunate part is that we were thinking the three headed goalie situation was going to be resloved before last season, then before last seasons trading deadline, then by this years draft...

Ugh... I hate anticipating a movement for the organizations... At times for the past few seasons, I was just waiting for either GM (Savard first, then Gainey) to address our lack of size, and scoring punch from the 3rd line (considering it is used for 18+ a game) I waited for 2 seasons :banghead: finally this past draft we addressed the issue and picked up Bonk, and this CBA crud may have me wait longer for what I've been waiting on for 2 + seasons...

That all being said, I would like to see the Sabre's pull the trigger on the 'three-headed monster' just for the value of return (which IMO should add some talented players or 2 for the Sabres), it's about time the Buffalo/Montreal rivalry picked up a few paces... It has to be one of the most overlooked rivalries in hockey... They still have great intense match ups, but I miss the days when the 2 teams would go to war on ice :D By the look of both organizations, it will happen soon enough. ;)

I seriously think though that the Sabres were overlooked by The 2004-05 hockey news... By their own track record (THN) that's a good sign of things to come

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Biron - solid NHL starter. 250+ games played. could start on many other teams (Van, NYR, Col, to name a few). very good statistically, but not mentally tough. inconsistant. If it werent for the fact that the sabres two potentially great goaltenders waiting in the wings, biron's job would be safe.

Noronen - top ten prospect at his time. dominated the AHL. has shown glimpses between the pipes. but hasn't played enough NHL games in 3 years to develop his talents (61 games in 3 years). has been just as inconsistent as Biron at the NHL level. in this silly sabre fans opinion, he's a stud franchise netminder hiding in the ruff.

Miller - Dominated at Michigan St.....big deal. he has a lot to prove. he can become great, but needs a lot of playing time. another season in the AHL to light a fire under his butt wouldnt be a bad thing. could back up Noronen or Biron. top 10-15 NHL prospect. probably third in goaltending behind Lehtonen and Fleury. If someone wanted to trade Buffalo a top 25 D prospect for him, i bet the sabres would listen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad