mik and engvall?

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
We should be able to sign engvall at 2.25 x 4 years I imagine - Mikhyev will sadly probably have to go - can't afford to keep both

Is this even possible :rolleyes:
No it's not - he has a NMC. Everyone wants Tavares to be moved but its not that simple for several reasons:

1) His Cap is very high - not many teams would be willing to take this on, especially contenders
2) He has a NMC and can't be traded unless he waives - which he won't
3) Management trusts him, he's our captain, would look poor on the organization

Reactions: Beaumaris

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I'm thinking more and more that we may be trading Kerfoot, Nylander and Holl (and Mrazek if they can find a taker) in the off-season to free up the $ we need to keep Engvall, Mik and Campbell.
I'm not sold that they want to get rid of Nylander but if the price is right then do it.
I don't see Campbell getting a huge raise unless we go deep and he's stealing games for us. He still has lots to prove imo

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Has this years Mikheyev become as valuable ($) as last years Hyman?

Last years Hyman scored 15 goals in 43 games, 82 game pace was 29 goals. This years Mikheyev scored 21 goals in 53 games, 82 game pace was 32 goals.

Ilya's agent will argue based on comparables, Hyman for example, Ilya is a $5 mil + player. there we rumors before the season began that Ilya asked for a trade so he could play a top 6 role elsewhere. There is virtually a zero chance Ilya is a Leaf next year.

Reactions: Da Cool Rula

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
We should be able to sign engvall at 2.25 x 4 years I imagine - Mikhyev will sadly probably have to go - can't afford to keep both

No it's not - he has a NMC. Everyone wants Tavares to be moved but its not that simple for several reasons:

1) His Cap is very high - not many teams would be willing to take this on, especially contenders
2) He has a NMC and can't be traded unless he waives - which he won't
3) Management trusts him, he's our captain, would look poor on the organization

Not the first time a team has asked a player to waive his NMC. Not the first time the Leafs would trade their Captain.

I see Rielly as our next Captain. The marketing possibilities ;) ....

459-4597985_captain-morgan-pose.png

Tarmore

Nov 11, 2008
I'd love to keep Mik but there's a good chance he prices himself out. I can't see both Kerfoot & Mikheyev staying.

Luckily the Leafs do have some solid young NHL ready forwards on the cusp & Dubas for bargain hunting in free agency; they're in good shape moving forward.

I also don't see guys like Kase or Engvall going for a lot; extremely unlikely they get a qualifying offer & so the best they can do to really push for $$ is arbitration. Neither will get significant raises yet.
I don't disagree. Who do you think is ready to make the jump/similar impact?
Has this years Mikheyev become as valuable ($) as last years Hyman?

Last years Hyman scored 15 goals in 43 games, 82 game pace was 29 goals. This years Mikheyev scored 21 goals in 53 games, 82 game pace was 32 goals.

Ilya's agent will argue based on comparables, Hyman for example, Ilya is a $5 mil + player. there we rumors before the season began that Ilya asked for a trade so he could play a top 6 role elsewhere. There is virtually a zero chance Ilya is a Leaf next year.
Unfortunately you are probably correct as to the agent's argument. Also Ilya has added a nasty/physical aspect to his game the last 20 or so games. This will also add to the argument that he is worth more money or at least detract from the opposite argument.

danron1376

Jan 3, 2011
remember those days when engvall would just needlessly (and some times dangerously) circle back to our own end when he got the puck? he's one of our much improved players for sure.

Reactions: WildWolfdog

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
I don't disagree. Who do you think is ready to make the jump/similar impact?
Bearing a breakout, none of them, at least not for what Mik & Engvall bring.

I could see any of Anderson, Robertson, Steeves or Abruzzese being quality bottom 6 players next season, but probably only 1 or 2 will be regulars.

Robertson probably has the most upside though, even with injuries I'm surprised he hasn't broken out yet but he has a good chance to bring similar value next season IMO

Reactions: banks and Tarmore

Da Cool Rula

Sep 8, 2017
Montego Bay, Jamaica
I absolutely could see this - spread cap across for more depth. We have high end covered already in the big 3. Add Mrazek and that frees up another 3M. It's definitely doable. I also think Campbell signs a much more team-friendly deal than we think, but that's just my hunch.
Do we keep Campbell though or do we trade for a goalie? Or are we stuck with signing him?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad