mik and engvall?

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
I bet Kerfoot is gone this off-season, his 3.5 should be enough to cover the raises of both, but that is the main salary available to upgrade elsewhere on the roster. If not Kerfy, I don’t see how keeping both is possible.

I bet Engvall stays if we had to pick 1

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
I don't see Mikheyev coming back, he's already asked for a trade so I think it's fair to assume he's going to explore his UFA options and given his unique skillset (size/speed), I expect there will be teams making some rather lucrative offers to him. And while I very much like Mikheyev I see this as a career year for him, he's 27, the goals are flowing, anyone who signs him expecting a 20+ goal PK standout are likely to be disappointed.

Move on, find a speed replacement for cheaper (I and many others have like Michael McLeod from the Devils in that bottom 6 PK role)

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I can see Mikheyev getting 4 x 4 in UFA. He has earned it based on his season this year.

I don't see the Leafs giving that to him. We will probably place trust in some Marlies or cheap UFAs like Kampf and Kase again.

Engvall should be re-signed.

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
Maybe if we get to the 2nd round minimum and Mikheyev realizes that he's had insanely good usage and trust from the coaching staff + management, he could sign a bit cheaper.

However, like said, he's already 27 and he should 10000% chase the bag that any team gives him.

Still though, I cant remember another player that was straight up told "no" when asking for a trade lol. I think people put too much stock in his trade demand, if anything management has done nothing but build his confidence since then.

Since when do role players get told no when they ask for trades while on teams with elite forwards? That's a lot of faith shown towards him and look at the season hes had so far

He's either taking Kerfoots money or getting ovepaid somewhere else. I'm fine with either but i'd like to have him

Reactions: horner

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Kerfoot after July 1st has less than 1M salary owed, given his production without PP time, C/W versatility, Leafs should be able to grab a 2nd for him I imagine.

I think Mikhayev maybe takes less to play in Toronto.

Engvall 1000% gonna stay.

You have to keep upgrading your roster though, not losing pieces.

I hope Toronto can continue to advance in the playoffs but also need to take a look at the last couple of years...who's produced? who is replaceable?

Reactions: horner and saltming

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
I'd love to keep Mik but there's a good chance he prices himself out. I can't see both Kerfoot & Mikheyev staying.

Luckily the Leafs do have some solid young NHL ready forwards on the cusp & Dubas for bargain hunting in free agency; they're in good shape moving forward.

I also don't see guys like Kase or Engvall going for a lot; extremely unlikely they get a qualifying offer & so the best they can do to really push for $$ is arbitration. Neither will get significant raises yet.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I don't see Mikheyev coming back, he's already asked for a trade so I think it's fair to assume he's going to explore his UFA options and given his unique skillset (size/speed), I expect there will be teams making some rather lucrative offers to him. And while I very much like Mikheyev I see this as a career year for him, he's 27, the goals are flowing, anyone who signs him expecting a 20+ goal PK standout are likely to be disappointed.

Move on, find a speed replacement for cheaper (I and many others have like Michael McLeod from the Devils in that bottom 6 PK role)
IIRC Mik wanted out because he felt he was not getting a fair shot, that is not the case now.
Imo it's 50/50 that he stays. Another team can offer him more and in that case he's gone but if we are competitive in salary, I see no reason he wouldn't want to stay

Thornbury

Dec 29, 2019
IIRC Mik wanted out because he felt he was not getting a fair shot, that is not the case now.
Imo it's 50/50 that he stays. Another team can offer him more and in that case he's gone but if we are competitive in salary, I see no reason he wouldn't want to stay
I'm thinking more and more that we may be trading Kerfoot, Nylander and Holl (and Mrazek if they can find a taker) in the off-season to free up the $ we need to keep Engvall, Mik and Campbell.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
I'm thinking more and more that we may be trading Kerfoot, Nylander and Holl (and Mrazek if they can find a taker) in the off-season to free up the $ we need to keep Engvall, Mik and Campbell.

I absolutely could see this - spread cap across for more depth. We have high end covered already in the big 3. Add Mrazek and that frees up another 3M. It's definitely doable. I also think Campbell signs a much more team-friendly deal than we think, but that's just my hunch.

justloveleafs

Mar 12, 2021
Paris Ontario
I was going to set up a separate thread, but lets incorp;orate this thought/theme into the discussion.

Pierre Engval passing the puck off to Mikeyev? For the empty netter?

I have been weirdly obsessed with the development of PIerre Engval since the day Thommie Bergman got him drafted in the seventh round. I loved hearing big and fast. Love those two words lol.

When I saw him play first time, I laughed to myself. Unusual skating style, certainly not NHL textbook by any means, and looked like a freaking giraffe out there. But I definitely saw what Bergman saw I was impressed overall.

But man, he is up for rfa money, what the heck is he doing giving up bucks and pucks? Lol.

My personal thought is, its because giraffes, although very capable of protecting themselves, love others as well.

Plus I suspect he and Micheyev are really good buds. Thoughts?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I was going to set up a separate thread, but lets incorp;orate this thought/theme into the discussion.

I have been weirdly obsessed with the development of PIerre Engval since the day Thommie Bergman got him drafted in the seventh round. I loved hearing big and fast. Love those two words lol.

When I saw him play first time, I laughed to myself. Unusual skating style, certainly not NHL textbook by any means, and looked like a freaking giraffe out there. But I definitely saw what Bergman saw I was impressed overall.

But man, he is up for rfa money, what the heck is he doing giving up bucks and pucks? Lol.

My personal thought is, its because giraffes, although very capable of protecting themselves, love others as well.

My thought was he took a bit of a ribbing about shooting into the empty net when Nylander was going for the Hat Trick and 81 points in 81 games the last game of the season and so said to himself next time ...

Reactions: Jeypic

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Personally I try to trade Nylander and keep both. Nylander value is sky high and if we can get some cheap entry level player like a Lafreniere and or Kakko for him I think we can survive without his production. Both players mentioned need a change of scenery IMO. It would be a solid hockey trade.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Engvall should be reasonable enough to re-sign as an RFA. The decision to be made likely lies between Mikheyev and Kerfoot. Kerfoot's ability to play C is probably not as much of a factor as it would have been previously (prior to this season). Mikheyev might win out if he is willing to take a lesser or equivalent salary/contract to Kerfoot's current pay/deal.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
Engvall should be easy.

Kerfoot has played his way into our hearts with a 50 point season and responsible two way play, never takes a shift off.

But it’s at the mercy of the multi year plan. If Kerfoot pops another 50 and asks for 5 (50 points is 4.5-5/ production), I don’t know how enamored I’d be.

If he goes f*** any picks that aren’t a 1st - Hagel, who has a better deal and is younger but isn’t a better player, got two 1sts and Raddysh who might as well be another 1st at the TDL.

Gimme a big, mean but skilled winger who’s ready.

I can see Mikheyev getting 4 in UFA but maybe he can be sold on a little longer term, if Kerfoot is moved.

Kase has been good…when he’s played. I’d much rather keep Giordano for 1.5 or whatever.

Holl is probably gone, meh.

In order of importance I’d say it goes:

Jack

Mikheyev

Engvall
Giordano

Lyubushkin
Blackwell
Spezza

Last edited:

danron1376

Jan 3, 2011

my thought is that giraffe is lucky hedman just let up at the end and stopped skating. we were 99% going to score there but he has to know how unlucky this team is

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad