Miikka Kiprusoff vs Carey Price

Who was the better player?

• Total voters

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Both are guys who didn’t have that many seasons that were statistically significant, and this sometimes causes a lot of arguments in relation to how good Price actually was, but they both always looked good when I watched them. I saw more of Kipper but I usually thought Price was better.

That said, I always have to laugh when Habs fans suggest that there’s some big bias against Habs players. Maybe a bit from Toronto, Ottawa and Boston fans. But I don’t think the rest of the league has anything against them.

Reactions: Felidae

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Kipper didn’t have a Weber or Subban on his team either as far I remember.
Are we talking about when they brought their teams to the finals? Because Price’s team was a pile of crap. Weber was no longer Weber. He was an old guy with a busted up body. Kipper had a current Richard winner who was 2nd in the Hart and led the playoffs in goals.

If we’re not limiting it to that then Price’s playoffs over about a decade we’re pretty incredible. If his team scored three goals it was an automatic win. Unfortunately his team wasn’t often capable of doing that.

Reactions: Mrb1p

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Are we talking about when they brought their teams to the finals? Because Price’s team was a pile of crap. Weber was no longer Weber. He was an old guy with a busted up body. Kipper had a current Richard winner who was 2nd in the Hart and led the playoffs in goals.

If we’re not limiting it to that then Price’s playoffs over about a decade we’re pretty incredible. If his team scored three goals it was an automatic win. Unfortunately his team wasn’t often capable of doing that.

I was talking about over his career. The year he went to the final was a weird Covid year where they got two rounds of the weakest division in the NHL. But he played great don't get me wrong. That team was shit and he had better teams.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I was talking about over his career. The year he went to the final was a weird Covid year where they got two rounds of the weakest division in the NHL. But he played great don't get me wrong. That team was shit and he had better teams.
Career wise Price was pretty incredible from 2011 onward. In 17-18 they gutted the team and it tanked his numbers.

In the postseason he was an auto win with three goals. From 2014–17 he was arguably the best player in the league. He consistently knocked out better teams in the playoffs and was basically untouchable in the Olympics where he was Canada’s best player.

He was the opposite side of the coin of what McDavid is now… did everything he could to win but was on mediocre to terrible teams. McDavid had Jack Campbell in net, Price had David Desharnais as his number one center - a mind blowingly stupid move from the worst coach in the league. Bad teams and health are the only thing that separate him from the true all time greats.

I watched all of Patrick Roy’s career and Price was a better, more consistent and more complete goalie. He will never be ranked as high of course because he doesn’t have the resume but he was every bit the goalie Roy was. He just got stuck with teams that had Michel Therrien as his coach and had health issues.

Last edited:

Bijelo

Oct 23, 2022
First Flat
I vote for Price but two clear world-class two in the same level goalies.

NT are not involve in debate.

NHL are involve in debate.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
All y'all have to do is look up what the Habs with Price in it do versus what the Habs without Price do to understand what kind of impact he had on the game

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Both are overrated, but Price was the better goaltender in my opinion.

Kiprusoff has a good run from 2004-2007 but was quite mediocre otherwise.

Price wasn't the pinnacle of consistency either, but he peaked higher, and had a longer(and better) prime in my opinion.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Kipprusoff at his peak was Hasek-lite. Go watch a montage of him on YouTube, there are many. The guy was incredible in his prime. His 03/04 run where he backstopped a Flames team of lumberjacks was one of the greatest goalie performances of all time.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Goalie A:

3,4 Hart
AS-1
1,2,3,5 Vezina
2,3,9,9,10 SV%
1,1,7 GAA
,923/2.32 playoffs

Goalie B:

1,7 Hart
AS-1
1,3,4,5 Vezina
1,4,6,7,9 SV%
1,6,9 GAA
.919/2.39 playoffs

If goalie B is a HOF'er to you than goalie A should be too. Especially since goalie B's Hart year was a fluke year where scoring crashed.

Reactions: Video Nasty

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Goalie A:

3,4 Hart
AS-1
1,2,3,5 Vezina
2,3,9,9,10 SV
1,1,7 GAA
,923/2.32 playoffs

Goalie B:

1,7 Hart
AS-1
1,3,4,5 Vezina
1,4,6,7,9 SV%
1,6,9 GAA
.919/2.39 playoffs

If goalie B is a HOF'er to you than goalie A should be too. Especially since goalie B's Hart year was a fluke year where scoring crashed.
Goalie B (Price) is significantly better. 2 additional top ten Vezina finishes as well as two additional top 20 Hart finishes. And he did this on mediocre to bad teams. And when Price wasn't on those teams, the club fell from first to last. He was well deserving of those Hart votes and a good argument could be made that he was the best player in hockey from 2014-17. Very few players have been able to take last place clubs to first and Price demonstrably did this.

Goalie A (Kipper) starts his career in his mid 20s. If we look at Price's career from 23 onward his numbers are significantly better. In the regular season it's not a big bump (mostly because of the awful teams he plays on post 2017.) but postseason wise it goes from .918 to .9244. Price also beat signficantly better teams in the postseason with regularity. He also came within a game 7 OT goal of knocking off the eventual cup champs in 2011. Beat that same team in a massive upset in 2014 as well. Pittsburgh, Toronto, Vegas... all huge upsets.

Price had a longer better career. One is a blue chip HOFer the other might make it over time. All props to Kiprusoff but his career was pretty short.

Reactions: Bouboumaster

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad