Music: Migos: Yes or No?

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Arguably the biggest new rap group that has really blown up in the last 6 months or so. They're known for their trap beats, triplet rhyme scheme, and ridiculously heavy use of ad libs. While they have a pretty strong critical reception, I find people seem pretty split on them, especially among hip-hop fans. What does HF think?

Xelebes

Jun 10, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
Really poor beats, I find. Bass is entirely comprised of awkward tapping on the flattest patches (Deadz is an exception on the bass part), the sequencing of the drums is slightly better but using very basic sample packs. . . dry. Pads used are very basic but sometimes have an attempt at dynamics.

Content of lyrics are not particularly interesting (which can be a very common problem in hiphop) so all I'm left is with the flow and the flow is not my jam.

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012
I'm not a so called fan of Hip Hop, but I do enjoy listening to the likes of Nas/Outkast/Run DMC/Kanye West occasionally.

That said, I have no idea why Migos is popular, from their beats to their lyrics, I see nothing worthy of mainstream or underground success.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
The only interesting thing about them is their flows and that quickly gets old over the course of a 60 minute album. I have no desire to listen to Culture again

vdB

Dec 28, 2006
Toronto
No. Get this non-thread worthy trash outta here. They're no where near as big as you claim.

vdB

Dec 28, 2006
Toronto
How does this even deserve its own thread?

Take this **** to the Official Hip-Hop thread.

Seriously. You guys with terrible music taste have your own thread already. Leave us alone.

All rap is just guys talking about banging hoes and shooting their guns.

Jul 17, 2006
New Zealand
Seriously. You guys with terrible music taste have your own thread already. Leave us alone.

How does this even deserve its own thread?

Take this **** to the Official Hip-Hop thread.

I shouldn't have to explain this to long time posters, but you two lil babies know you don't have to enter into and post in every thread on this forum?

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin

e1TLG4q.gif

Jul 17, 2006
New Zealand
I'm a big fan of Culture, probably one of my favourite albums of the year so far. One of my favourite things about them as a group is the way they use ad-libs and background singing to add to the instrumental. Not really a group that can be fully assessed until you've listened to the album on a good car stereo or sound system.

I wish Lil Uzi Vert's verse on Bad and Boujee didn't exist though.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
I'm a big fan of Culture, probably one of my favourite albums of the year so far. One of my favourite things about them as a group is the way they use ad-libs and background singing to add to the instrumental. Not really a group that can be fully assessed until you've listened to the album on a good car stereo or sound system.

I wish Lil Uzi Vert's verse on Bad and Boujee didn't exist though.

Agreed with every word in this post.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I like Migos a lot, have for awhile. Lol at how hurt people seem to be getting at this thread. You guys are hilarious.

Gains

Apr 29, 2012
Montreal
Was a big fan in 2013 & 2014. I still listen to their old mixtapes, but I really want Quavo to go solo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad