Movies: Midway (November 2019)

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
An absolutely amazing historical battle, a turning point full of drama and luck, and sheer audacity....the capability of making it a memorable movie to do justice to not only history but those who died.

And we get this.......:rolleyes:

Clint Eastwood should have directed this movie, its a fantastic cast. Add in the drama of the Americans retrofitting Yorktown in 3 days after the Japanese thought they sunk it in the Coral Sea to add to Enterprise and Hornet, and go after a vastly superior Japanese fleet...losing wave after wave of aircraft to Japanese air patrol and AA..leading to the Japanese realizing there's more than one carrier out there and having them replace bombs with torpedoes on their lfight deck, with fuel due to their fighter umbrella on fumes after ripping through American aircraft...only for a small handful of bombers finding them at that EXACT moment...one in a million.

Reactions: Roman Fell

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Maybe it's just me, but that doesn't look like a $100M movie. Better watch this clip and save yourself a few hours and bucks:

This upcomming movie and The History channel have something in common, their both trash.

If you want a real documentary on midway, watch PBS's Battlefield episode on it. No bias, no money shots, no rah rah rah, just information on the lead up to the battle, the men, theory and logistics before, during and after the battle, and strategy that went in to it all.

And while we're at it, let's recognize that Tora! Tora! Tora! and Midway ('76) both look a billion times better than this trash.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I had been looking forward to it without knowing that Roland Emmerich was behind it. What a buzzkill.

A few months ago, I watched the following tactical overview of the Battle of Midway, which I found to be superb and unlike anything that I'd really seen before. You're liable to learn and understand more about the tactics from something like this than from even a really good film.

Last edited:

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I still like Independence Day, The Patriot, and Stargate. I know those moves are 20+ years old and most everything he's done since is crap, but maybe this won't suck. It's not like The Patriot didn't take significant liberties with history.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Well, this is a surprise. It has a 92% audience score from 4,441 verified viewers. The critic score (42%) isn't so hot, but, amusingly, not so bad for Emmerich (whose career average is 34%, hah). Reviews suggest that it's actually somewhat historically accurate, which is the last thing that any of us expected.

Midway (2019)

Last edited:
Reactions: Roman Fell

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
Watched it.

The script is cringeworthy, absolutely like an info dump or exposition stemming from a highschool paper to touch on key historical points...so blocky and campy.

Action scenes are fantastic, though Midway actually only covers maybe the last 1/3 of the movie so a lot of the events are rushed when in reality it could have built up massive tension instead of being quick remarks by Japanese/American characters.

Yorktown is barely touched on except in passing...not sure why the cut the Japanese attack on her, when it's otherwise very accurate with how events unfolded.

I would have had a cold opening with no attack on Pearl Harbour..save 20 minutes...the battles of the Marshall Islands and Coral Sea were also included...so it pushes stories that could be entire movies in their own right into this film. The Doolittle raid makes sense considering it provided the emphasis Yamamoto needed to support his idea to remove the American carriers..plus Shangai studios helped with a big chunk of post production.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
A WW2 movie directed by Emmerich is definitely not something I need in my life.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
The 70's movie was extremely well done, and except for the "My son the pilot is dating a Japanese girl" that lasted all of 10 minutes, it was pretty accurate.

I don't think they needed to make this movie.

Plus Tom Selleck and Eric Estrada were bit players in it.

plank

Aug 26, 2008
Long Dark Blues
The 70's movie was extremely well done, and except for the "My son the pilot is dating a Japanese girl" that lasted all of 10 minutes, it was pretty accurate.

I don't think they needed to make this movie.

Plus Tom Selleck and Eric Estrada were bit players in it.
and Larry Csonka!

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
went and saw it today, I f***ing loved it but some of the acting sucked and it's a movie I would only want to see on the big screen. It felt like it was too crammed in, they should have done it in 2 parts if they were going to have so much about Pearl Harbor.

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
A pretty decent movie. Certainly better than a snoozefest known as "Dunkirk." My only problem was that some of the tangents didn't go anywhere (the submarine sequence, etc.). Entertaining and informative.

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
A pretty decent movie. Certainly better than a snoozefest known as "Dunkirk." My only problem was that some of the tangents didn't go anywhere (the submarine sequence, etc.). Entertaining and informative.

The point of the submarine Nautilis was to show how the Japanese dispatched Ashashi to hunt her down and then catch up with the fleet...which allowed the American dive bombers which happened to be lost to stumble upon her and follow her on a hunch for 15 minutes despite being at their fuel limit..and catching the Japanese with their pants down due to their Zeros being at sea level chasing away the last of the torpedo squadrons they annihilated and the carrier hangers being full of fuel and ordnance.

Reactions: montreal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad