Midterm Average Ranking (2018 Draft)

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
I know CanucksArmy track the consensus ranking but they use some sources I personally don't find very trustworthy when it comes to final draft outcomes.

A small extract of the weighted rankings for the 1st round (higher weight put on ISS and McKenzie).

View attachment 96417

Dahlin is clearly number 1 - shocker.
Top 2 to 4 is solid and very close.
Boqvist seems to be in a bracket of his own at 5.
Not that many other major takes except that scouts are all over the place on Merkley and to a large extend on McLeod.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chainshot

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Seems that there is obviously Dahlin at 1, and then a consensus for the group of the next 4 picks, and then a noticeable drop off after that; and then an even bigger drop off after pick 9.

Tier 1: Dahlin
Tier 2: Sven, Tkachuk, Zadina, Boqvist
Tier 3: Wahlstrom, Hughes, Dobson, Bouchard
Tier 4: Everyone else listed

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
I think Boqvist can still go into the 2to4 or 6to9 groups depending how he finishes out the season in the SHL as that would be a good sample to evaluate. So far he is only 1A in 12 games which is not particularly great for offensive minded D. I do realize he's very very young but his selling point is the offensive game and so far he hasn't put up any points in the SHL. If he gets hot he has the potential to break into the top4 (Button has him at 2 for now). The group to watch is 6 to 9 IMO to see who can make a big jump until the draft. It seems the thinking is Dobson can still climb and Wahlstrom is the first C in the draft so you never know, if he gets hot sky (well, Dahlin) is the limit for C's in a draft.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
I wouldn’t be surprised if Bouchard goes 2nd overall.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
I wouldn’t be surprised if Bouchard goes 2nd overall.
Dont think he has the dynamic skating required to go Number 2 in todays NHL where there is ao kuch emphasis on dynamic skills and speed. Not a knock on Bouchard, just doesnt strike me as a 2nd overall type of player.

Jamesbay

Oct 19, 2014
Why is Tkachuk seen as the consensus #3 over Zadina? Zadina looks to be having a great year in the Q, and Tkachuk isn't exactly lighting up the NCAA.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Why is Tkachuk seen as the consensus #3 over Zadina? Zadina looks to be having a great year in the Q, and Tkachuk isn't exactly lighting up the NCAA.
They are literally neck and neck with same averaged score. By draft time Im sure there will be a favorite between the two but then it will come down to picking team specific preference...

Last edited:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Just wondering why does ISS get the same weight as McKenzie. They've been a mess since they have changed ownership a couple times since Hyman's dad bought them to rank his kid.

Its been 4 months, and I still don't think they know which Samuelsson is which at the USNTDP.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Just wondering why does ISS get the same weight as McKenzie. They've been a mess since they have changed ownership a couple times since Hyman's dad bought them to rank his kid.

Its been 4 months, and I still don't think they know which Samuelsson is which at the USNTDP.
I felt they are the second most reputable source after McK. I did some reading/reviewing as well post factum and at least in 2010-2013 they performed just about as well as McK (very slightly worse). All the related posts are somewhere in the Sabres board draft thread - post 754 onwards has that topic covered with some data.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad