Midseason Top 50 For the 2019 NHL Draft

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
OHL Prospects: Midseason Top 50 for the 2019 NHL Entry Draft

The start of the 2019 calendar year is nearly upon us and that means it is time for me to re-evaluate my rankings for the 2019 Draft. The OHL season is at the half way mark which gives us a great indication of how certain players have developed in their draft season. Many players have stepped up to assume large roles on their club, while others have disappointed and find themselves on the outside looking in.

While this is unquestionably a down year for the OHL, I do think that several players are starting to emerge as better talents than people gave them credit for. In October, I suggested that only a couple OHL'ers were likely to be first round selections come June. And while that still may be the case, the guys ranked inside the top 10 (or hovering around it) have all performed well and are making a strong case to seriously push up draft rankings in the second half. Tomasino has caught fire. Robertson and Rees are healthy. McMichael and Jones have kept the pace from their strong starts. Like I said, things are shaping up to be better than originally thought.

For those unfamiliar with my lists, I only include first time eligible players. So a guy like Nando Eggenberger isn't listed despite the fact that I'd expect him to receive draft consideration. I do a list of "re-entries" or second/third year eligible players prior to the draft.

And for comparison's sake, here's my preliminary top 50 from October.

Here's the list:

1. Ryan Suzuki - Forward - Barrie Colts
Even though Suzuki has struggled a bit in the last few months, he's still my top rated OHL player. I continue to be amazed by some of his reads and passes in the offensive end. He possesses upper echelon vision and playmaking ability. And he can create plays in a variety of different contexts. He's effective off the rush because of his skating ability and understanding of spacing. He's effective working the cycle and coming off the wall. And he's effective working the powerplay, where the extra time and space really allows his vision to be spotlighted. But he seems hesitant to shoot the puck lately and defenses are challenging him to beat them this way, taking away passing lanes. He has only four goals in his last 18 games, with Barrie mired in a standings slump during this time as well. He certainly has the ability, but his game won't hit that next level until he becomes more aggressive looking for his own scoring chances. Another area that needs improvement is his faceoff ability. He's only winning 44% of his draws currently.

2. Arthur Kaliyev - Forward - Hamilton Bulldogs
Continues to light up opposing defenses and hasn't slowed down one iota. His blend of size, skill, and smarts are just too much on most nights. Especially on the powerplay where the trio of Saigeon, Strome, and Kaliyev has been absolutely dominant. The real challenge for Kaliyev will be after the OHL trade deadline, as Hamilton could be in a position to deal off some veteran players, leaving Kaliyev with less support. If it happens, how he responds to that will go a long way as to whether he's a lottery selection or a later first/early second round pick. I do think that his game gets over-evaluated at times though. His skating draws mixed reviews. IMO, his power game is complemented by a good enough top speed, but could benefit from better start ups. And his play away from the puck is definitely inconsistent, but few 17/18 year old offensive stars are consistently engaged in this regard. It is important to remember that Kaliyev is far from the polished product that he will eventually become. His innate offensive abilities (hands, shot, vision off the rush) are top notch.

3. Philip Tomasino - Forward - Niagara IceDogs
Aggressive ranking jump for Tomasino following a strong last couple of months. I had him pretty high coming into the season, so it's no surprise to see how well he has performed following a promotion to Niagara's top line. Since the beginning of November, Tomasino has 34 points (17 goals, 17 assists) in 23 games. That's some of the best production of any draft eligible player in the CHL during that time period. And sure, it's great to play with two players as talented as Jason Robertson and Akil Thomas. But if you watch him play, Tomasino isn't just along for the ride, he's driving the play with those two. His speed and play with the puck is electric. His pace of attack consistently opens ups scoring lanes for Robertson and Thomas. But he's also not afraid to attack the middle of the ice or the crease. He's excelled by crashing the net as part of that trio, and just seems to have an infectious energy level. It's uncertain as to whether NHL scouts will view him as a winger or as a center (he has played both), but this is one talented young player. I can honestly say that I heavily debated putting Tomasino at #1 on this list. Playing for a Niagara team that could be loading up, he is going to get his time to shine and should sky rocket up draft lists in the second half if he keeps up this rate of production.

4. Connor McMichael - Forward - London Knights
Let's be real here. It's not too often that we have a draft eligible player leading London in scoring (discounting Hancock), and he's not considered a consensus first round pick. I feel like that might be about to change pretty soon. McMichael isn't slowing down after his hot start, he's actually getting better. 12 goals and 11 assists in his last 14 games. McMichael offers a pretty complete package; he checks a lot of boxes. Skating ability. Check. Ability to play in all three zones. Check. Hockey sense. Check. Goal scoring ability. Check. He's also a tenacious player in the offensive zone who does a very good job controlling the boards despite not being the biggest kid (6'0, 170lbs). Sure he may not be the flashiest or most dynamic player with the puck. But his efficiency is through the roof. Much like Hayton and Dellandrea last year (similar types of players), McMichael should climb draft rankings in the second half and be in consideration for the Top 20 by June.

5. Thomas Harley - Defense - Mississauga Steelheads
Harley really hasn't done too much to fall in these rankings, it's more about what Tomasino and McMichael have done to pass him. I continue to love what Harley brings to the table offensively. Really love his aggressiveness running the point of the powerplay. Not afraid to use his size and reach to step out into the slot, or pinch down deeper to keep plays alive. Doesn't yet possess the elite point shot that you like to see from a top notch QB, but that could come given his size. But 6'3 defenders with his type of mobility can impact the game on so many different levels. He's so difficult to separate from the puck as he glides through the neutral zone. Not only does he do a good job of leading the breakout, his rushes are impactful because he's able to extend them deep and establish o-zone time. Defensively, I do think he needs to be more aggressive though. The last few times I've seen Mississauga, I've noticed some passiveness defending off the rush. Needs to step up and be more aggressive in using his size, especially his reach. I'm not an analytics expert, but his controlled entry prevention stats are probably pretty poor. But it's important to remember how much progression this kid has already shown this year. Baby steps. Rome wasn't built in a day.

6. Nick Robertson
7. Jamieson Ree
8. Hunter Jones
9. Blake Murray
10. Billy Constantinou
11. Vladislav Kolyachonok
12. Nicholas Porco
13. Graeme Clarke
14. Matvey Guskov
15. Mitchell Brewer
16. Mike Vukojevic
17. Joe Carroll
18. Keean Washkurak
19. Cole Mackay
20. Petr Cajka
21. Cole Schwindt
22. Ethan Keppen
23. Jacob LeGuerrier
24. Daniil Antropov
25. Kari Piiroinen
26. Daniel D'Amico
27. Nikita Okhotyuk
28. Tag Bertuzzi
29. Lucas Peric
30. Mason Primeau
31. Keegan Stevenson
32. Liam Ross
33. Eric Uba
34. Kyen Sopa
35. Mason Millman
36. Jack York
37. Mack Guzda
38. Andrew Perrott
39. Nathan Allensen
40. Brayden Guy
41. Grayson Ladd
42. Nathan Staois
43. Jordan Frasca
44. Luke Cavallin
45. Andrew MacLean
46. Tim Fleischer
47. Navrin Mutter
48. Cullen McLean
49. Mitchell Russell
50. Ashton Reesor

See the link above for the full write ups on all 50 players, plus some honorable mentions.

Happy to answer any questions/comments.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Emmett Sproule doesn't crack the top 50? That's surprising to me, he's looked pretty good this season, speed and skill are noticeably improved over his rookie season. He's got 17 points in 39 games on a bottom 4 team getting middle 6 ice time too.

hammer4424

Sep 28, 2018
Both Owen sound goalies ranked but you don't have Roy, Langevin or Dugas? Curious for sure

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
Emmett Sproule doesn't crack the top 50? That's surprising to me, he's looked pretty good this season, speed and skill are noticeably improved over his rookie season. He's got 17 points in 39 games on a bottom 4 team getting middle 6 ice time too.

He was someone I had considered in the HM component. He has shown some skill this year and he does look a bit quicker. But the bottom line is that he's a 5'10 kid with 5 goals on the year and who currently sits 67th in the league among U18 players in shot generation. Could definitely be a quality OHL player down the line, but right now I'm not seeing someone who is a serious NHL prospect.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
Both Owen sound goalies ranked but you don't have Roy, Langevin or Dugas? Curious for sure

Roy and Langevin could definitely end up being quality OHL goaltenders. But they're both under 6'0 and not exactly lighting the world on fire. Size matters in goaltenders for NHL prospects and on a list like this, they aren't likely to be extremely high. I have liked both this year though.

Dugas, I just haven't seen enough out of him to suggest that he should be listed here and now he's done for the year with a broken ankle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad