Rendulic-D
Street-D+
Rantanen-C
Zadorov-C
Bodnarchuk-C

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
It's hard to put grades on players, and some will always have an issue with something. I do appreciate the effort those who gave it a shot but I see a lot of B's and A's for a team not in the playoffs. Talk about expectations then what's wrong with this team, that the majority of the players are either meeting expectations or exceed them yet find themselves outside looking in the playoffs?

MonsterMack

He did the Mack, He did the monster Mack
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2013
Arvada, CO
It's hard to put grades on players, and some will always have an issue with something. I do appreciate the effort those who gave it a shot but I see a lot of B's and A's for a team not in the playoffs. Talk about expectations then what's wrong with this team, that the majority of the players are either meeting expectations or exceed them yet find themselves outside looking in the playoffs?

I'm on my phone and couldn't post a lengthy response so thank you for posting exactly what I wanted to say

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
He's been a stud but I'd have to give that nod to Duchene. When he was cold we were losing and when he heated up we started winning. It's very hard to score in towards league and with 19 goals at the halfway mark for a non-sniper is very impressive (hell even for a sniper that's remarkable). I agree with what your saying but Duchene has been absolutely fantastic since his slow start and has been the major contribution for success.

Soderberg this season has been a better overall player than Duchene if you ask me. In all three zones and in every situation, whether it's even strength or penalty kill, Soderberg has been fantastic. Duchene has been very good but I don't believe he's had the same overall impact that Soderberg has.

LandyMacks grades are the only reasonable ones. No one deserves an A so far

Just because this team is on the outside looking in doesn't mean players don't deserve A's or B's. That doesn't make any sense at all.

If a team finishes dead last in the league but a player on that team finishes top-5 in the league in scoring, does he not deserve an A? Or a defensemen finishes top-15 in the league in scoring amongst defensemen does he not deserve at least a B? Or a 4th line player goes on to score ~12-15 goals while leading the team in +/- does that not deserve a B or even an A, relative to expectations?

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

Well there are two things there, I don't think this team is good/talented enough as a whole to make the playoffs by meeting expectations. There would have to be a lot of individual A performances to get us there. Key pieces like Landy and Varly not quite meeting expectations hurts too and also having to drag around Tanguay and Iginla and making up for their deficiencies.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Just because this team is on the outside looking in doesn't mean players don't deserve A's or B's. That doesn't make any sense at all.

If a team finishes dead last in the league but a player on that team finishes top-5 in the league in scoring, does he not deserve an A? Or a defensemen finishes top-15 in the league in scoring amongst defensemen does he not deserve at least a B? Or a 4th line player goes on to score ~12-15 goals while leading the team in +/- does that not deserve a B or even an A, relative to expectations?

I really don't to make this into a thing, given that it's just letters that are subjective and meaningless.

One or 2 players sure but I don't see any 4th liner scoring 15 goals or a forward being in the top 5 scoring. Again having those grades is fine when it one or 2 players but most of the team is at a B or higher which makes no sense given where the avs are.

Well there are two things there, I don't think this team is good/talented enough as a whole to make the playoffs by meeting expectations. There would have to be a lot of individual A performances to get us there. Key pieces like Landy and Varly not quite meeting expectations hurts too and also having to drag around Tanguay and Iginla and making up for their deficiencies.

The first part we'll never agree on so, I'll just let it go.

If key pieces like Landy and Varly are not meeting expectations how did they get their grades(given it mostly judged upon expectation). Those are the 2 that stick out with me among others, I'm pretty sure someone can figure out.:D

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
B- is not meeting expectations, would it be better if I called it a C then? Whatever the letters are its arbitrary, is a rank better? Those two would be lower than a lot of players on this team.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Good rankings. Has Soderberg really been this good? I don't notice him a lot.

My only thoughts are: I really want to see more from Grigorenko - can't really argue that he's seized his opportunity thus far, although I'm sure the leash is short. And god damn, I really hope our leading scorer doesn't have 68 points at season's end with the talent on this roster.

Yes, he has. He needed some time to adjust to the team but he is really good now. I know he's here to replace O'Reilly a bit but in my opinion he replaces Stastny. Not quite as good but still really strong. Creative, hard working, great vision, solid defensively.
It took me a while (and a post from someone here on the forum) to realize his good games are not the exception but the norm. After realizing that it didn't take long for me to become a fan. Soderberg and (as always) Mitchell are my underrated heroes this season.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
So these rankings are relative to expectations? What was everyone expecting from Guenin if he gets an F? :laugh:

bingo. he gets C from me. he's met expectations. which is being as bad as anyone else in this league.

mack, duchene i could live with getting more than C. other than that, all other top guys have been at or below what i expected.

skille, mcleod and holden have delivered most above what i expected.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany

Relative to expectations he deserves an A for sure. I wouldn't give him an A because he needs to involve his linemates more. I love his energy but he's not playing as well as he is able to. There was a moment in - I think - the last game against the Blues when Skille still was on the ice when MacKinnon began his shift. I can't say for sure but it looked like Skille was surprised to see Nate, stopped thinking and simply played the puck (brilliant pass) and moved into position to shoot the puck which he received again a second later. It was beautiful.
So he seems to be able to play awesome hockey but "only" shows us the hungry wolf most of the time. That's why I would only give him a B++.

Unaffiliated

Aug 26, 2010
Richmond, B.C.

I didn't and still kinda don't expect to make playoffs. Exceeding expectations and ending up a few points out of POs is par for the course imo

The central is too good.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
B- is not meeting expectations, would it be better if I called it a C then? Whatever the letters are its arbitrary, is a rank better? Those two would be lower than a lot of players on this team.

Like I said this isn't a big deal, it's supposed to be fun. I'd agreed with C's maybe even C-

Never say D2M doesn't criticize his favourites.

I didn't and still kinda don't expect to make playoffs. Exceeding expectations and ending up a few points out of POs is par for the course imo

The central is too good.

They are where they should be RIGHT NOW... a bubble team that may or may not make them playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad