9. Will Lockwood, Winger, University of Michigan (NCAA) - 43.5%

now we have a new guy to add to the poll yay

Reactions: PavelBure10

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Jesus what a wasteland.

I actually like our prospect pool in regards to the depth guys. Our top end talent is pretty rough though. Juolevi is a mess and I really have no interest in highly rated goaltenders in today's NHL. If Demko came in and performed exceedingly well and you could get a solid package in return I'd take it and run. I did some math and I think an average to slightly above average goaltender is a far better use of cap space than a high end goaltender for what is essentially around 0.3 GA less per game.

Regardless, Woo down to Lockwood seem like pretty good for 6-10 prospects. It's 2-5 that seem a bit too high. Both Markstrom and Lack put up the same AHL numbers as Demko has. I'm not sure what happened to Lack as he was solid for us, but Markstrom is a goalie I would easily run with on a competitive team given his price point. Still, although at one point Markstrom was the highest-rated goalie prospect in the world, I don't think a goaltender putting up Lack/Markstrom AHL numbers should be the #2 prospect in any system.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I know I’m in the minority but I think Rathbone at spot 10 is pretty decent depth. I have more confidence in our US scouting than any other group. He looks like he could have decent potential.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
The pool was consensus top 3-5 in the league. The best prospect in it graduated and is currently one of the best young centers in the league ... boo hoo.

I think most people are okay with that and that their problem was with the people who thought this prospect pool was due to excellent management or whatever the f***.

Var

Nov 10, 2007
Wouldn't be surprised to see Woo or Madden climb higher in future polls.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
The one kid we do have who is having a half decent rookie season is Lukas Jasek and he's tied in the voting with Chatty, the atrocious Kole Lind, and the illustrious Mitch Eliot with two votes. Haha, yeah, okay...

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
I actually like our prospect pool in regards to the depth guys. Our top end talent is pretty rough though. Juolevi is a mess and I really have no interest in highly rated goaltenders in today's NHL. If Demko came in and performed exceedingly well and you could get a solid package in return I'd take it and run. I did some math and I think an average to slightly above average goaltender is a far better use of cap space than a high end goaltender for what is essentially around 0.3 GA less per game.

Regardless, Woo down to Lockwood seem like pretty good for 6-10 prospects. It's 2-5 that seem a bit too high. Both Markstrom and Lack put up the same AHL numbers as Demko has. I'm not sure what happened to Lack as he was solid for us, but Markstrom is a goalie I would easily run with on a competitive team given his price point. Still, although at one point Markstrom was the highest-rated goalie prospect in the world, I don't think a goaltender putting up Lack/Markstrom AHL numbers should be the #2 prospect in any system.
Demko just came back from a concussion.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
The pool was consensus top 3-5 in the league. The best prospect in it graduated and is currently one of the best young centers in the league ... boo hoo.

Exactly. Pettersson was making the prospect pool look better than it actually was and all the supposed depth was exaggerated.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
How does a very good prospect's presence in a prospect pool make it look better than it is?

Pettersson has graduated and all of a sudden the prospects in the system look pretty mediocre. It's apparent that the Canucks prospect depth right now is fairly inadequate.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Pettersson has graduated and all of a sudden the prospects in the system look pretty mediocre. It's apparent that the Canucks prospect depth right now is fairly inadequate.
So Pettersson was making the prospect pool look as good as it actually was before he graduated before most expected him to when he was drafted and immediately became a star and the best player from his draft class. That's literally the best possible outcome. The depth hasn't taken as big a step as most would want, certainly.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
So Pettersson was making the prospect pool look as good as it actually was before he graduated before most expected him to when he was drafted and immediately became a star and the best player from his draft class. That's literally the best possible outcome. The depth hasn't taken as big a step as most would want, certainly.

Everyone knew how good Pettersson was, he shattered records in a men's league. Outside of top picks the Canucks have gotten for sucking the teams prospect pool looks extremely mediocre, despite getting extremely high picks in every round (when they don't trade them away for junk)

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Everyone knew how good Pettersson was, he shattered records in a men's league. Outside of top picks the Canucks have gotten for sucking the teams prospect pool looks extremely mediocre, despite getting extremely high picks in every round (when they don't trade them away for junk)
Every individual piece of information in your post is either false, misleading or irrelevant. Unfortunately I'm on my phone and can't format this concisely, but here goes:

1. 5 players were drafted in front of Pettersson, many considered him a reach at 6, and he was thought of as a riskier pick whose value lay in projectable skills. The statement that everyone knew how good he would be is not only objectively false but irrelevant -- players we expect to be good are still a part of the prospect pool.

2. We aren't talking about how the pool was assembled of where the players were picked. We're talking about the quality of that pool. Most teams' top prospects are high picks and most pools would be poor without them. Your statement that the pool's best prospects are high picks is redundant and irrelevant.

3. Having high picks in rounds other than the first does not meaningfully improve the chances of drafting successfully with those picks. In fact, picks in the top 5 of the second round have a the smallest chance of playing 100 NHL games tha any other cohort of 5 picks isolated by multiples of 5, which is the format the study I read used. So yeah -- you were actually extra super wrong about that.

Last edited:

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
You clearly don’t seem to comprehend logic properly, I wasn’t alluding to Pettersson’s draft staus I was talking about his draft + 1 season.

If you’re actually going to conduct a statistical analysis Pettersson actually was the best statistical prospect in the 2016 draft he wasn’t some supreme steal a large quantify of teams had him ranked extremely high but that’s beside the point constructed.

If you’ve followed this board and fan base you’d understand the ridiculous hype on prospects like Lind despite logical evidence that suggested every team in the national hockey league had prospects of that type.

The idea that you believe drafting hire in rounds doesn’t relate to success is utterly insane and some insanely flawed logic. The fact that you’re even trying to debate this is crazy.

The teams prospect pool is extremely average outside of accidentally stumbling upon high picks because they assembled a terrible hockey club while spending to the cup and trying to compete.

The lack of draft picks has completely hindered their ability to supliment their quality high picks with the necessary depth to form a good team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad