Midseason Media/Scout Top 10 OHL'ers for the 2020 NHL Draft

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
OHL Prospects: Midseason Media/Scout Poll for 2020

It's time for an update to our media/scout list. There's still lots of meaningful hockey to be played (rest of the CHL regular season, CHL playoffs, U18's), but it's always great to see how opinions change over the course of a season.

Interesting to compare our preliminary one from the end of November (found here) with this new one. Antonio Stranges and Jaromir Pytlik are the two big fallers. Stranges goes from 5th to out of the top 10, while Pytlik goes from 8th to receiving only a couple of votes for the top 10. Jack Quinn is the big riser going from outside of the top 10 to 5th (essentially swapping with Stranges). We also have new OHL'ers Jan Mysak and Martin Chromiak (although not in the top 10) making their debuts on the list. It's certainly been exciting to track their progress so far.

At the top, Quinton Byfield is the near unanimous first choice, but the battle for second is even more confusing. Jamie Drysdale Marco Rossi, and Cole Perfetti pretty much shared the votes for the spot behind Byfield and it seems that nearly everyone has a different order/preference of how to rank those three.

As always, it's important to note the contributors, as without them and their terrific insight, this article does not exist. For the midseason list, the following helped out:

Corey Pronman - NHL Prospects Writer for TheAthletic (@coreypronman)
Dominic Tiano - Writer for The OHL Writers (@dominictiano)
Dylan Galloway - OHL Scout for Future Considerations (@dylangalloway_)
Mike Morreale - Staff writer for NHL.com (@mikemorrealeNHL)
Ryan Kennedy - Associate Senior Writer for The Hockey News(@THNRyanKennedy)
Scott Wheeler - NHL Prospects Writer for TheAthletic (@scottcwheeler)
Cam Robinson - Managing Editor for Dobber Prospects (@Hockey_Robinson)
Steve Kournianos - Founder of The Draft Analyst(@TheDraftAnalyst)
Steve Clark - Play by play voice of the Niagara IceDogs (@ClarkPlaybyPlay)
Dan Stewart - Director of DraftsProspects Hockey (@DStewartDP)
Will Scouch – Founder of Scouching Draft Analytics (@Scouching)
Victor Findlay – Writer for Around the OHL and Mississauga Steelheads broadcaster (@Finder_24)
Tony Ferrari – OHL Scout for Future Considerations and NHL Draft Writer for Dobber Prospects (@theTonyFerrari)
Mark Seidel - Scouting Director for NACS Hockey (@MarkSeidel)
Chris Peters - NHL Prospects Writer for ESPN (@chrismpeters)
Matt Young - OHL broadcaster (@mattyoung71)
Peter Harling - Editor for Dobber Prospects and host of the Dobber Prospect Radio Podcast (@pharling)
Levi Hill – CCHL Scout & Former OHL Video Tracker (@HillHockeyScout)
Kenny Walls – Voice of the Ottawa 67's on TSN 1200 (@LongBallsWalls)
Peter Kneulman - Provides OHL coverage at OHL Writer (@PeterKneulman)

and of course...myself (@BrockOtten)

Here's the List:

1. Quinton Byfield – Center/Left Wing – Sudbury Wolves
Total Votes: 21
Highest Ranking: 1st (20x)
Lowest Ranking: 2nd (1x)
Comments:
“This was a no-brainer the last time I put my list together, and even with an “underwhelming” World Junior, Byfield is solidly the #2 pick to me in this year’s draft. He’s big with tremendous skill, a great shot, and excellent passing vision on the ice. He moves pucks efficiently up the ice, and to me, his potential is limitless.” - Will Scouch

“It's all about the tools and the upside. No, he didn't do anything at the world juniors and his Top Prospects Game was just fine, but Byfield has everything you want and he's still growing his game.” - Ryan Kennedy

“For me Byfield is a lock at number two overall for this draft. Earlier in the season he was making a significant bid to supplant Lafreniere for number one but Lafreniere has really cemented his hold on the top spot. Byfield brings a total package of skill, smarts and size. Typically big players at this age need to improve their skating, but for Byfield that is his best asset in my opinion. He is a very graceful skater, has a quick first step that lends to separation. He has tremendous balance and agility allowing him to fend off forecheckers, lean into players and stand his ground in front of the goal.” - Peter Harling

“What is there about Byfield that you can't like about him? He's gigantic, can skate and is super creative. While he did not make an impact for Team Canada, his absence certainly illustrated to the Sudbury Wolves and the OHL how important he is to that team. I feel like we are getting into a territory where people are trying to pick apart his game to find flaws rather than recognize everything that he is.” - Matt Young

“Sudbury were tanking hard when Byfield left for the World Juniors, but his return has since stabilized their season. I like the way he’s played beyond the scoring and he’s clearly a candidate for OHL Most Valuable Player. He’s been strong on faceoffs and consistent in covering danger spots near the goal. Byfield needs more credit for his hockey sense and ability to sniff things out or attack a weakness before the opposition knows a weakness exists. And it continue to surprise me how often he catches defensemen flat footed or they misjudge his speed. There are only a handful of defensemen in the entire league who can at least attempt to slow him down. That says a lot considering Byfield’s 17 for another six months.” - Steve Kournianos

“This highly talented, big, powerful and fast pivot is lighting up the OHL offensively in his draft year while still is developing his two-way game. The one area that I would like to see him work on over the last couple of months this season is his willingness and efficiency in using his physical ability to really lean on guys and take over games that way consistently. His limited ice WJC showing plays little into most who evaluate him. Projects as a top line center. Top talent available from the OHL this year hands down.” - Dan Stewart

“Everyone talks about the tantalizing package of power and skill, as they should. But he's far from a finished product and I suppose that is what is most scary. The three areas that I think really need to tighten up if Byfield wants to play in the NHL next year (which I think he can) are: a) improving his confidence in his shot, b) improving his consistency as a physical player, and c) making quicker decisions with the puck in transition. B) and C) are especially important. I don't think anyone is asking Byfield to play like Ryan Reaves, but if he could find a way to increase his physical intensity level just a little bit more, it would make him that much more dangerous. With his strength and speed, he could be such a factor on the forecheck and in forcing turnovers, but he coasts into the zone too often. Additionally, he seems to get in his own head when the pace picks up, over analyzing his options and that can result in turnovers because defenders are closing in on him and taking away his space before he makes a play. This has been especially apparent in the neutral zone of late. That said, my contemporaries have done a terrific job of highlighting his many, many strengths as a player.” - Brock Otten

2. Jamie Drysdale
3. Marco Rossi
4. Cole Perfetti
5. Jack Quinn
6. Tyson Foerster
7. Jacob Perreault
8. Jan Mysak
9. Ryan O'Rourke
10. Jean Luc Foudy

Check the link for the full write ups and all of the HM's (lots of them).

As always, happy to answer any questions.

Reactions: Doothpick

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
Great read as always. Happy to see Wisdom get an HM, not the most skilled guy but I could see him projecting as a solid energy/4th liner in the NHL.

Was hoping to see Chromiak in the top 10 but really I can't make the argument to knock anyone out .

Uncle

Jun 26, 2017
Great read as always. Happy to see Wisdom get an HM, not the most skilled guy but I could see him projecting as a solid energy/4th liner in the NHL.

Was hoping to see Chromiak in the top 10 but really I can't make the argument to knock anyone out .
Id easily knock out foudy for chromiak and a few other HMs

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com

Quite honestly, the way that Wisdom's game has evolved in the last year, I don't think we can simply classify him as a 4th line grinder. The steps he has taken as a puckhandler and skater have put him in a position to alter this perception. I know some who are starting to believe that he could be more of a 3rd/4th round pick and not a late round flyer now. While he's not likely to develop further to the point where we're talking about him as an NHL all star, it's not inconceivable to see him as a middle six forward who can kill penalties and be a 20 goal scorer.

Reactions: dirty12

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad